Drinks in cabin

swissmiss2010

Haven't been on a P & O cruise since June 2012. At that time there was a new system whereby if you wanted alcoholic drinks in the cabin you had to wait until about the 3rd sea day and go and buy them from the shop, whereas in the past you just filled out an order and gave to the cabin staff. Could somebody please tell me if this is still the case, or has it changed again.

You can still order from the cabin steward, however it's not at the really cheap prices it used to be.

You can take a bottle on board with you, or purchase a bottle at your 1st port of call.

The really cheap prices are usually offered right near the end of the cruise ,to be collected on the last day.

We managed to get bottle on first day in November. Had to ask steward for order form.

You can get them on the first night....a few years ago though you could get them at duty free prices..ie £10 a 1ltr..those days are gone now though.

Then you had a patch where you could order at duty free prices on certain days , now that has gone as well.

Thanks for your replies. I think what the various replies are saying is that we can still order drinks from our cabin steward on day 1, but at a high price and that there are no longer the cheaper prices a few days into the cruise. I am not interested in buying duty free to take home, and will not be buying any ashore as we are going to Norway. It looks as though we will be visiting the supermarket on embarkation day to buy our own. Also, we used to be able to buy cans of mixer drinks for the cabin - I assume these are still available?

Thanks for your replies. I think what the various replies are saying is that we can still order drinks from our cabin steward on day 1, but at a high price and that there are no longer the cheaper prices a few days into the cruise. I am not interested in buying duty free to take home, and will not be buying any ashore as we are going to Norway. It looks as though we will be visiting the supermarket on embarkation day to buy our own. Also, we used to be able to buy cans of mixer drinks for the cabin - I assume these are still available?

Yes they are.....mixers. Usually buy so many and get 1 or 2 free. I think about 90p a can....or you can take your own box of 12 on board with you.

• 1 month later...

I noticed in these threads that a couple of people have said on the Ventura you can buy duty free ashore and take it to your cabin is this correct as we have never been allowed to do this on any other cruise other than the celebrity cruises where you were allowed one bottle of wine each when you first boarded.

:confused:

An example of the prices on board through the cabin steward or room service. Gin £22.00 per Ltr. Which is about standard price in a supermarket. In other words not worth the effort of buying it and carrying it with you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I noticed in these threads that a couple of people have said on the Ventura you can buy duty free ashore and take it to your cabin is this correct as we have never been allowed to do this on any other cruise other than the celebrity cruises where you were allowed one bottle of wine each when you first boarded.

You can take any alcohol on board for cabin use. Either duty free of duty paid. Your cabin steward will provide the ice and lemon for your G&T.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is definitely correct. Just back from Oceana in the Caribbean and we took aboard bottles of spirits in the ports. Currently it's still accepted practice.