Athens Shore Excursions Length

billrco90278

We are considering a Celebirty shore excursion in Athens. I notice that the longest Celebrity shore excursions there are between six and seven hours long. A tour that leaves at 8:00 AM returns to the ship between 2:00 PM and 3:00 PM. This seems very early considering the ship departs at 6:00 PM. Is there something about Athens that causes Celebrity to allow so much time at the end? Should I be wary of private excursions that come back to the ship later?

My DH and I did a private tour in Athens with a guide and driver. They were very good at making sure we were back on time. However, if the cruise is with Celebrity, the ship will wait until you are back. Athens has been much quieter lately; ships haven't had to cancel. Yes, you do need to be back early, as anything can happen on a tour. That is one benefit of going with Celebrity! they will wait for you if something unexpected happens.

You need to post this under the Med and Greece. You may find more answers that are specific...

No idea why the ship tours bring you back early --- there is so much to see in Athens that you can't do it all in a day, and there are many opportunities for just wandering, enjoying the cuisine, etc. I suggest you check your roll call and see if you can join with others for a private tour. We did that on our last stop in Athens and will be doing it again on the Reflection in May. You'll get to see more and the price is generally lower.

Athens is an easy DTY port. Just walk 20 minutes to the METRO. Take the METRO to the Acropolis, also see the New Acropolis Mueeum. then walk past some of the other ancient sites to Constitution Square. Walk through the Plaka, etc.

Also, there is a HoHo bus that stops at the wonderful Archaeological Museum and other main stops if you don't want to walk.

additionally there is a bus line, close from the port to Athen center

Cost is about 1,5$/pax....

enclosed you will find a port guide, unfortunately in German, but you see the pictures how to walk....

upload not working - give me a PM I'll send by mail....

Edited by MarkusToe