Sunshine Review with a few pics!

gertiesmom

Some ships exhaust vents are closer to intakes than others. Just my thoughts

This makes a lot of sense!

We had balcony cabins 8181 and 8185.

... And both toilets worked :)

I'm requesting both of these cabins when I book.:D And I'm not even joking:p

They did provide decent customer service, and the maintance guy was fairly prompt. It was just plain annoying that we had to call daily, sometimes twice a day, to ask for maintance.

Overall, my mom and I did have a good time. Our patience was wearing thin. Hopefully, my cruise on the breeze will be better.

Glad you still had an overall good time. I guess I'm different than most of the posters who say the toilet issue was not that big of a deal. When I go on vacation (hotel or cruise) I expect things in the room to work properly when trying to use, shower, sink, and/or toilet. Now if they don't, just like you I'll contact the front desk. Now if I had to call every day (sometimes 2 time) just to flush the toilet, that becomes a big deal to me. I surely do not want to get up at night, leave my room, and look for a public restroom.

Glad CCL offered compensation, which is the least they should have done.

BTW, CCL has too many good ships that hardly ever have issues like Sunshine, so DW and I will stick to them.

They did provide decent customer service, and the maintance guy was fairly prompt. It was just plain annoying that we had to call daily, sometimes twice a day, to ask for maintance.

Overall, my mom and I did have a good time. Our patience was wearing thin. Hopefully, my cruise on the breeze will be better.

Going on Sunshine in less that two weeks. Breeze is my favorite ship!! You won't be disappointed!!

We went back to the cabin and had a letter to call guest services. My mom called this time. They wanted to apologize for all the troubles with our suite and give us 20% of our cruise fare back to each of us. Thy credited our S&S accounts with $125.02. They also offered us 15% off another cruise if we booked within the week. Needless to say, we wont be booking another Carnival cruise. I already have one booked for September with some friends, so I will go on that cruise, but that’s probably the last of cruising with Carnival.

Did I have a good time celebrating my birthday with my mom: YES!

Will I recommend this ship to anyone: NO!

PS: there were buckets on the 7th floor and the 3rd and 4th floors forward stink like sewage

Sorry my question came from here were it stated that you will probably never cruise with carnival again after you cruise in September. Again great review.

I kept reading all the negative reviews before my sunshine cruise, and I honestly thought people were over reacting or just too high maintenance. But, now that I, too, have experienced the sewage smells and non functioning plumbing, i think this ship needs more work. She looks pretty on the outside, but she's ugly underneath it all.

I was on Sunshine for 14 days in January, and have to say that the above comment is true and to the point. I went on my b2b cruise with an open mind prepared to enjoy everything, but numerous problems on the ship and overcrowding made that difficult and sometimes impossible.

:)I am so glad to hear all of the good about the Sunshine and the great time the OP had other than the toilet issue. I have read the reviews on the Sunshine and I believe the numbers are somewhere around 69% good to 31% bad. I am booked on the Sunshine for the March 16 sailing and am truly excited about it regardless of the reviews, good or bad. Cruising is what you make it and there will be good and bad everytime. The Sunshine upgrade is new and, as with most renovations and new ships, things will require attention to get the kinks worked out. Yes, I believe most kinks should be worked out before the inaugural sailing but, again, things happen. Reviews are most certainly subjective. I sailed on the conquest out of NOLA 2 years ago and hated that ship. (Will never book the Conquest again) My distaste for that ship did not, however, deter me from booking Carnival again. Honestly, I am in my cabin in the morning to get dressed and in the evening to go to bed. I may take a trip back there mid day to drop something off or pick something up. I probably use the toilet in the cabin twice in a day (morning and night). I think that if I noticed this bathroom trend of the toilet not working properly I would use the public or spa restroom more and reserve my cabin toilet for morning and night only. I realize this may be a lot to ask since we all spend plenty of money on cruising and toilets should all work properly but it is what it is and I make the best of it. In my opinion CCL compensated fairly for the toilet issue.:)

On 3/30 we will take our 6th cruise, all having been on Carnival. Prior to every cruise I read several reviews and all ships had good and bad. I do have to say that it seems that there are more negative reviews of this ship than the ones that we have already sailed. We have had all wonderful cruises. We expect to have a wonderful one this time too and can't wait to see the 6J scenic ocean view right away thanks to FTTF.

Every ship that we have been on has had a hint of sewer smell for a brief moment here or there. Never ruined our cruises and unless it's worse or constant for us on this one it won't bother us this time either.

Thank you for the review! Too bad about the toilet issues! Happy to hear Guest Relations gave you some kind of a credit!

I am excited to go on the Sunshine on May 2nd for my first Carnival cruise! My 10th cruise over all....first with Carnival. I am keeping an open mind!! :)

Edited by indychristine

Jan 11 thru Jan 19 Room 5341 very nice suite had a great time other than we all got the flu. The ship was great

We had that cabin last week. Thought it was great except the balcony. We had booked this cabin for the aft wrap and they took that away when they made it a suite and left a very poor balcony for a suite.

As for the ship we loved it. We have been on 18 cruises and didn't find any major flaws with the Sunshine. The food was very good. The shows were some of the best I've seen in a while. The Epic Rock was awesome and not to be missed. I never found it to be more crowed than any other mass market ship. No smells and only a couple of buckets that didn't effect me. We would go on her again in a minute.

We were on that cruise last week. We loved the ship and the layout. I smelled odors only on the third floor. We are excited its moving here to Florida. We will definitely be booking it again. It will only be an hour and a half drive for us.

My favorite show was The Flying Scotsman. More people should have stayed for it. It was fantastic! Chris Williams is hilarious.

Yes, I did say that I probably won't sail carnival again. But, I should clarify. If my breeze cruise in September is fantastic, I will probably continue on carnival. If I don't love the breeze either, I will probably start trying out all the other lines. I don't expect any vacation to be perfect, but the sunshine didn't impress me that much. I had a great time with my mother, but not because of carnival. I had great time BECAUSE of my mom!

Also, If I spend $2000 on the cruise I expect a working toilet. Carnival did not meet my basic expectations.

Edited by gertiesmom

Yes, I did say that I probably won't sail carnival again. But, I should clarify. If my breeze cruise in September is fantastic, I will probably continue on carnival. If I don't love the breeze either, I will probably start trying out all the other lines. I don't expect any vacation to be perfect, but the sunshine didn't impress me that much. I had a great time with my mother, but not because of carnival. I had great time BECAUSE of my mom!

Also, If I spend $2000 on the cruise I expect a working toilet. Carnival did not meet my basic expectations.

Got it.. Trust me I understand $2000 is $2000 and you should have had a working toilet. Lol.. Well hope your next cruise with carnival is great. I have heard and read good stuff about the Breeze. ENJOY!

My favorite show was The Flying Scotsman. More people should have stayed for it. It was fantastic! Chris Williams is hilarious.

Wasn't he amazing? What a talent!

I was also on the January 26 sailing on the Sunshine. We had balcony cabin 7292. Never saw a bucket or had a sewage smell (although it might have been better than the cigar smoke from our neighbor). The Sunshine was like a "Breeze Lite" ship with many of the best parts of the Breeze, but not enough room for them to really be as accessible. My group of 8 all had a fun cruise!

Wasn't he amazing? What a talent!

I was also on the January 26 sailing on the Sunshine. We had balcony cabin 7292. Never saw a bucket or had a sewage smell (although it might have been better than the cigar smoke from our neighbor). The Sunshine was like a "Breeze Lite" ship with many of the best parts of the Breeze, but not enough room for them to really be as accessible. My group of 8 all had a fun cruise!

What didn't you find accessible? WE didn't find anything we couldn't do or eat because of crowds.