Anyone go on the Flowrider in Jan or Feb 2014?

What is the current status about doing tricks on the boogie board?

Last time I went was October 2013 and there was talk about how the President of RCI was going to allow tricks again, but nobody on the Allure knew anything about it and they refused to allow any tricks.

Specifically last time I went I was only allowed to do the following tricks boogie board:

1. riding on knees,

2. riding drop-knee,

3. prone 360,

4. 360 on knees,

5. 360 drop-knee,

6. sitting on the board (Indian style or with feet in front)

7. push-ups on the board

8. DK Shuv-it

9. laying on back

Are we allowed to do anything else? Have you actually gone in January or February 2014 and done turtle shell, barrelrolls, front roll, front flip, superman, Drop-knee (DK) Roll, seat drop, bounce and barrel roll in air, standing up on the boogie board, waterfall?

Edited by snorkelman

Last time I went was October 2013 and there was talk about how the President of RCI was going to allow tricks again, but nobody on the Allure knew anything about it and they refused to allow any tricks.

Specifically last time I went I was only allowed to do the following tricks boogie board:

1. riding on knees,

2. riding drop-knee,

3. prone 360,

4. 360 on knees,

5. 360 drop-knee,

7. push-ups on the board

8. DK Shuv-it

9. laying on back

Are we allowed to do anything else? Have you actually gone in January or February 2014 and done turtle shell, barrelrolls, front roll, front flip, superman, Drop-knee (DK) Roll, seat drop, bounce and barrel roll in air, standing up on the boogie board, waterfall?

They have never allowed standing on the boogie boards, only on stand up boards and from what I have heard, you can do tricks as long as you and the board stay in contact but we always do stand up so I cannot swear to that. :D

In August and November of last year the only standing up on boogie boards was done during the flow show by the sports staff. I saw numerous people being warned not to do tricks on both those sailings. They had commented that they did it before and then they were informed that they could no longer do those tricks.

Was on the Oasis last month. You summarized what's allowed, which was quite boring. I found out the new rules only by jumping in and doing a barrel roll and superman and got advised they aren't allowed any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bman598

Was on the Oasis last month. You summarized what's allowed, which was quite boring. I found out the new rules only by jumping in and doing a barrel roll and superman and got advised they aren't allowed any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Basically that's what I saw in August and November. Hopefully, someone will chime in with more recent information. Similar situation for the stand up flow rider as well.

• 1 month later...

1. riding on knees,

2. riding drop-knee,

3. prone 360,

4. 360 on knees,

5. 360 drop-knee,

7. push-ups on the board

8. DK Shuv-it

9. laying on back

I do not know what you mean by DK shuv-it, but all the first 9 I was allowed to do on my Mar 1 Sailing.

I have never heard of turtle shell or waterfall. Any trick involving the board not being directly on the water is prohibited. Barrel Rolls, flips, superman, etc. Standing on Boogie Board is NOT allowed. Seat drop, if you mean starting out sitting down, that is allowed.

We just sailed on the IOS and except for acid drops from the top side of the Flowrider, they were letting people do what tricks they were able to do ;) Don't know about bodyboarding because we only do stand up.

I was in the best of the best on Oasis March 8th and they let you do what you were comfortable and able to do. I was awarded the best wipe out and was in the top three. First place went to a cute 11 year old girl, who won the crowd over. Honestly she had my vote too.

Now during the regular stand up riding times during the week only during advanced did they let you put in at the top. Some people tried shove its and ollies during their rides during regular hours and were not spoken too by sports desk staff. I think the sports desk staff only spoke to people who were not really good or qualified enough to try.

Hmm, still not sure but it seems on some ships the rules are more relaxed for stand-up only.

I will be on the Allure again in October and I prefer boogieboard.

For the person who didn't know what a Dk-shuv it is, it is when you ride drop-knee and you kind of bounce and while you are slightly elevated, you use your "back" foot to kick or shove the rear of the board 180 degrees and then land again in the drop-knee position.

I did this trick a couple times without comment.

It is very disappointing that you cannot do barrel rolls, because that is probably one of the easiest tricks to learn - much easier than a 360.

IMO, when you are anything more than a complete novice, the restrictions on the boogie board flowrider are very disappointing because there are two distinct classes of people:

1) those who can't do anything, and probably get very frustrated when their only real options are going on their knees or doing a prone 360, which almost always will end their run, because it is a challenging trick to do.

2) those of us who can do the handful of allowable tricks.

Even those of us who are experienced will almost always end our runs with a trick, so the more tricks they allow, the faster the line goes.

I personally enjoy linking 2 or 3 tricks together (example hubcap), and those can be more challenging...and enjoyable to watch.

Edited by snorkelman

As a person who likes to just jump on and hold on for dear life for 45 seconds, I hope you get your way. I did enjoy some of the better riders. Personally I would think less people got hurt doing tricks on the boogie board vs people trying the stand up the first few times. There is always going to be a few bumps and bruises as there will be with the parachute simulator on the Quantum class. I'd hate to see the same restrictions there.

It is very disappointing that you cannot do barrel rolls, because that is probably one of the easiest tricks to learn - much easier than a 360.

An IMO, the least likely to get hurt. Most injuries I've seen occuring with boogie boarding is when the rider gets flushed to the back at the end, which happens 80% of the time anyway.

I was in the best of the best on Oasis March 8th and they let you do what you were comfortable and able to do. I was awarded the best wipe out and was in the top three. First place went to a cute 11 year old girl, who won the crowd over. Honestly she had my vote too.

Now during the regular stand up riding times during the week only during advanced did they let you put in at the top. Some people tried shove its and ollies during their rides during regular hours and were not spoken too by sports desk staff. I think the sports desk staff only spoke to people who were not really good or qualified enough to try.

I won the BOB on the IOS March 15th sailing :) I was SO happy :D

I won the BOB on the IOS March 15th sailing :) I was SO happy :D

Way to go!! Did you use the cute factor, or was it all great skills. :D

I failed to mention to state that I was the oldest in the competition at 42 :eek: with no cute factor.

Way to go!! Did you use the cute factor, or was it all great skills. :D

I failed to mention to state that I was the oldest in the competition at 42 :eek: with no cute factor.

I am hoping it was skill, along with the cute factor ;) I did the "show pony" a/k/a "girl trick", some carving, a 360 and then surfed off the wave and never fell down. All the guys were rushing to try to throw in big tricks for the WOW factor but they all fell during the competition soooooo, I had a flawless ride. Was it fancy? no, but slow and steady wins the race :D Rod and I were the oldest in the competition with both of us at 52

Here is me practicing a day or so before the competition

1926925_10152329004241162_113623416_n.jpg

I am hoping it was skill, along with the cute factor ;) I did the "show pony" a/k/a "girl trick", some carving, a 360 and then surfed off the wave and never fell down. All the guys were rushing to try to throw in big tricks for the WOW factor but they all fell during the competition soooooo, I had a flawless ride. Was it fancy? no, but slow and steady wins the race :D Rod and I were the oldest in the competition with both of us at 52

Here is me practicing a day or so before the competition

1926925_10152329004241162_113623416_n.jpg

Congrats on your BOB win. I was in the BOB the week before you on the IOS and failed miserably. I tried the big tricks and paid for it (I only stuck the Show Pony). I should have done like you and stuck to smooth riding with some tricks.

I was wondering how many riders were there usually on the IOS for stand-up the week you were on? The week we were on, the advanced session started the first day with 2 or 3, but was up to about 10 or so by the last sea day. The afternoon session had about 20 people in line at the start of the cruise and topped out at 67 people (in line at one time!!!) on the last day before the BOB contest. Is this normal for numbers on the IOS? I wonder if there were more spring breakers on the shorter and cheaper 6 day cruise. I am interested since I am booked on the 8 day Independence next March.

Congrats on your BOB win. I was in the BOB the week before you on the IOS and failed miserably. I tried the big tricks and paid for it (I only stuck the Show Pony). I should have done like you and stuck to smooth riding with some tricks.

I was wondering how many riders were there usually on the IOS for stand-up the week you were on? The week we were on, the advanced session started the first day with 2 or 3, but was up to about 10 or so by the last sea day. The afternoon session had about 20 people in line at the start of the cruise and topped out at 67 people (in line at one time!!!) on the last day before the BOB contest. Is this normal for numbers on the IOS? I wonder if there were more spring breakers on the shorter and cheaper 6 day cruise. I am interested since I am booked on the 8 day Independence next March.

Yep, DH said "just do what you know and you will win". He was right ;)

We did the 8 day last year on March 16th and according to the sports staff, the 8 day cruises tend to have less kids and less stand up riders. They said there were about 300 kids on our cruise and about 1500 on the 6 day cruise after us. Last year it was me and 5-6 guys in the morning, every morning and this year it was about the same (last year they didn't even have a BOB or Flowshow on the ship).

Of course, in the afternoons you get the "I HAVE to try this" folks and some catch on quick and begin to come back in the morning for stand up, but we had a great group of people out there every morning. ALWAYS on the last day it seems that people suddenly "find" the Flowrider so the last afternoon you might get 2, maybe 3 rides in. We usually try to either do lessons or book the whole thing on the last day after the last stand up session. That is a nice way to finish off the cruise.

What day did you book for next March? We are waiting for prices to drop and thinking about booking again in March.

Edited by Charger2008

And a picture of most of the competitors and sports staff after the competition. We were missing Dave and Mason who competed. DH is far left and I am the only female who competed :)

1065179_10152330920366162_470069554_o.jpg

Nice photo of the competitors. I see that there are a bunch of boards around you guys that are not the boards that the ship gives you to use, so I assume these were the personal boards of many of the riders. I was just wondering what company manufacturers these boards. I do not see any WaveLoch symbols on them. I took and Ash board with me and they had issue of me wanting to use a non-Waveloch board.

It's disappointing to hear that tricks that remove the board from the water are not allowed. At the end of my last Allure cruise, I had managed to do a forward roll from my knees ending in a prone position back in the board. Was hoping to do it again (though a little more gracefully).

Barrel roles are one of the easiest tricks to do and I'm really not seeing how wiping out from that is any different than wiping out from being on your knees and catching an edge and being "flown" to the back...

Just returned from the NOS and they have added a flow rider. Decided not to try it for the first time...one person broke a foot and later in the day another one broke 2 toes..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nice photo of the competitors. I see that there are a bunch of boards around you guys that are not the boards that the ship gives you to use, so I assume these were the personal boards of many of the riders. I was just wondering what company manufacturers these boards. I do not see any WaveLoch symbols on them. I took and Ash board with me and they had issue of me wanting to use a non-Waveloch board.

They are all Waveloch, but Frank always sands and refinishes the boards after we cruise and several times during the summer, otherwise, Shuvits don't last very long so he ends up sanding off the Waveloch sticker. Mine is a 38" Shuvit with channels and his a 40" Shuvit SV with channels and the one from the ship is just like mine but without the channels. They had to confirm that my board was a Waveloch board before they would let me ride it but seeing as how the board they had on the ship is exactly like mine just without channels AND given that Frank and I took the board home last year to refinish it and send back to them AND we signed the board with our names, they agreed mine was indeed a Waveloch board :D