Grand Princess November 2013 Suicide

Escapes2010

We were once given a generous amount of onboard credit ($100 per person) after our ship was late getting to St. Thomas. It was the Christmas cruise of the Sun Princess in December 2006. The ship had engine problems plus had been diverted by a rescue call from the Coast Guard. Apparently a sailboat had struck a reef near the Bahamas. The people onboard the sailboat were rescued before our ship got there, so the captain turned us around again. Between that incident and the engine problems and headwinds, we did not get to St. Thomas on time.

I am fairly confident the reason for the difference is passenger vs employee. Cruise lines aren't in the habit of compensated for inconveniences, etc due to passengers. For example, there would be no compensation for a rude table mate that ruined your cruise. However, if company employee some how ruined your cruise, you may get some compensation, as supposedly, companies have control over (are responsible for) their employees.

We were on the cruise in question. We didn't ask for (nor expect) any compensation.

hotdogworm's explanation hadn't occurred to me...so that could explain the difference in compensation.

I thought it might have been because in addition to missing the 1st port of call, we also arrived 6 hours late in Honolulu. Anyone who had morning excursions (including a visit to the Pearl Harbor museum) had those plans cancelled.

The Captain was very nice about keeping passengers informed of the situation. He personally conducted a memorial for the staff member in the Princess Theater. Crew and passengers were invited and the venue was nearly full. Passengers asked about making donations to the crew members family -- I believe by the end of the cruise $8,000+ had been contributed to the memorial fund.

The Captain was very nice about keeping passengers informed of the situation. He personally conducted a memorial for the staff member in the Princess Theater. Crew and passengers were invited and the venue was nearly full. Passengers asked about making donations to the crew members family -- I believe by the end of the cruise $8,000+ had been contributed to the memorial fund.

Nice