REVIEW: La Casa en La Playa - A Select Retreat

just4steven

Sorry for the delay, got off the Carnival Legend on 1/26 but have been swamped with all the videos I took and the dreaded "W" word! (work, boo)

To get to the point, here is the video :D

As for the place and group itself.............. WOW!

This was our first cruise and I heard all the talk about how great this is but also how pricey it is. I do not want to bash any excursion or company here, I really do not do that, I am just giving the straight up FYI :D

We originally had the Passion Island excursion booked through Carnival. I read and read some more and then La Casa en La Playa showed up! I read a lot of the reviews of Passion Island, and I'm sure it is a beautiful place and I would love to see it some time. All I can say is for almost double the price I do not think we made a mistake with La Playa!!!!

As I mentioned above, I am very sorry I did not put more snorkeling or food pics in my video. The food is out of this world, and the snorkeling is actually really good, especially for beginners or younger ones, but it is really not the reason you are there..............

You are there to "TAKE A DAY OFF", and just be pampered, and you will! I am a "A.D.D. LET'S GO" type person, but also work hard and this was just the trick! No rush, no nothing.

When you get to the location it has quiet music, they bring you drinks as much as you want, it is absolutely beautiful, and everyone is so nice and the food is great!

Your "server" comes around and asks what you want to eat, and they cook it fresh, no buffet! They ask you the time you want it, but most importantly where you want it! We had ours under wrapping palm trees looking at the beautiful water! They will move chairs and big or small tables to anywhere you want! And the flavor and quality of the food is amazing! Please watch the "hot" sauce though, they will warn you, but I just had to try it, hee hee hee.............. very good, but, um, yeah, if you don't like VERY hot don't try it! Before the food even comes though, WOW! The chips and salsa are like you never had! I know in the states we get "homemade", but we do not get "home grown"! Unreal! Eat them up and watch the homemade guacamole class! They will write out the recipe for you, ask for English :)

I wanted to mentioned I heard about the 26 people and the rumors of "you hear noise from some resort nearby". We never heard a thing! But the best part, and I am sure this depends on the day, yeah, they limit it to 26 people, but the day we went................... WOW! We had the early ship and they only let 13 of us in! We were there for about 3 or 4 hours just relaxing and doing what we wanted before the other cruise ship group came in, but it was only 12 or 13 of them as well. Awesome! Plus we already had our spots set up :)

Either way, our group of 13 could sit wherever we wanted, and the 2 of us even took up a hammock under the trees, a bed with pillows under the trees, um, another bed under the sun, and a table under trees with the peacocks! I know, sounds like we are hogs, but no, we actually sat last. There is just that much room!

Did I mention the drinks enough??? Don't forget the tip jar upstairs of course, but if you go up there enough (um, YES!), they will make this crazy good tequila for you in a shot glass and GIVE YOU TWO! I won't say anymore, just wait for it and WOW! :D

In short, Javier and Juan Carlos were incredible. If you want somewhere to go that is VERY QUIET, unlimited drinks, unreal fresh cooked to order food, go here! If you want to get off the ship when you want and just be pampered like you have never been, this is DEFINITELY WORTH IT! If you normally do not spend this much on an excursion, but have a special event/valentines day/surprise, PLEASE DO IT.

we did this excursion on jan 31 just as you said it was very nice food was delicious service great beautiful relaxing place the only exception was when going in the water it is very rockey so be careful would bring swim shoes that would help i think some rocks were big though so still easy to fall we did not use the water much because of this did not matter that much we still had a enjoyable day lots of people went in to snorkle anyway did not seem to bother anyone much going in and out of the water did see some fall down though

we did this excursion on jan 31 just as you said it was very nice food was delicious service great beautiful relaxing place the only exception was when going in the water it is very rockey so be careful would bring swim shoes that would help i think some rocks were big though so still easy to fall we did not use the water much because of this did not matter that much we still had a enjoyable day lots of people went in to snorkle anyway did not seem to bother anyone much going in and out of the water did see some fall down though

Thank you salty, and you are correct on this as there are quite a few rocks. I had my water shoes with me and just had to look down a lot at first so I was ok. I guess one cool thing about the rocks is there were a couple of times I just stuck my GoPro under water without even knowing what I was filming and there are tons of smaller fish around the rocks. Nothing big, but some colorful ones. If it is a calmer day the close rocks could help a timid or beginning snorkeler see some neat stuff without going out in the water far at all.

Quick review follow up I don't think I mentioned. I know a lot of Florida residents asked me about this and also posted their concerns that they might not be getting anything special out of this because they live in Florida and get sun and palm trees everyday and do not want to spend the money on this:

I don't think I mentioned that I have lived in Tampa/St Petes Beach as well as the Homestead/Miami area before. Trust me, especially if it is a get away for something different, it is definitely worth it :) I have lived in and/or traveled down both coasts of Florida a lot, and the Caribbean sea area is much different than what you will see and get at home.

Those that live in the Keys I guess I kind of get it, but then again I was in the water without any type of wetsuit in January and I know you were not :D From that standpoint it is definitely worth it!

Hopefully that cleared it up some for the Florida residents as I was once one myself, it IS worth it!

• 8 months later...

Video looks fabulous! Thank you for sharing!

We have La Casa en La Playa booked and just saw the Rocky Shores one. We are going without kids this trip so adults only sounds great. Do you get the same things as the main one? There is a price listed for kids so I was thinking it's not adults only. Any insight on the experience would be great! TIA.

Edited by kjml2004

Video looks fabulous! Thank you for sharing!

We have La Casa en La Playa booked and just saw the Rocky Shores one. We are going without kids this trip so adults only sounds great. Do you get the same things as the main one? There is a price listed for kids so I was thinking it's not adults only. Any insight on the experience would be great! TIA.

Rocky shores is adults only same things than la Casa en la Playa, but the beach is rocky (thats why the name) and you will need water shoes to enter into the ocean

I have looked for this resort online and can only find it through Carnival.

Is it only available to Carnival cruise passengers? If not, how do I find info and reservations?

It is only available through Carnival. You could try contacting Tripping Cool to see if this has changed.

Edited by c-leg5

• 7 years later...