Beach Recommendations?

ike201

We will be in port from 8am to 6pm with two other ships.

Can't decide which beach to go to. Traveling with 4 kids who

would enjoy water activities, but would love to find a beach

not so crowded. Also, my husband and son are doing an excursion

through the ship and need to be back by 2pm, although the

rest of us will stay on beach. Thoughts on Orient Beach, or Mullet Bay?

No desire to see the planes at Maho...we live close to an airport.

Thanks for your help.

well...I do have 3 teenage boys but not going to worry about the toplessness...just watched some youtube video of Maho beach & I think

the kids would love it. That being said, do you still recommend

Orient Beach if we are going to combine the two beach? maybe when my husband heads back for the excursion we can head to Maho beach. Or is

Mullet Bay closer?

well...I do have 3 teenage boys but not going to worry about the toplessness...just watched some youtube video of Maho beach & I think

the kids would love it. That being said, do you still recommend

Orient Beach if we are going to combine the two beach? maybe when my husband heads back for the excursion we can head to Maho beach. Or is

Mullet Bay closer?

I would only suggest that you go to Orient if having water activities are a must. Otherwise I have a really great plan to suggest. You and your boys taxi to Mullet Bay beach. Maho is an easy 15 minute or less walk from there. Your husband can taxi over to Maho and you can meet at either Sunset Bar and Grill or Guys Driftwood bar at a set time.

thanks...leaving tomorrow and still haven't decided...is maho beach a must see?

my husband's excursion is 2pm so he'll be with us all morning.

thinking going to maho beach for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, then heading to orient

beach for rest of afternoon. my husband can take cab back earlier for

the excursion, and we will stay at orient. unless we should just skip maho beach, or see it on the way back to the cruise without my husband.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about doing the RCCL Orient Beach excursion only because I am not sure how far the beach is from the port or the cost of a taxi. With RCCL we get a chair, lunch and a drink. Any suggestions or thoughts for those of you who may have done this?

Pay It Forward. Be kind.

Thinking about doing the RCCL Orient Beach excursion only because I am not sure how far the beach is from the port or the cost of a taxi. With RCCL we get a chair, lunch and a drink. Any suggestions or thoughts for those of you who may have done this?

Pay It Forward. Be kind.

Taxis will be about $15 round trip, and are easy to get. Trip maybe 15 min. I do not eat, drink or sit, so can't tell you about price on those.

Pay It Forward. Be kind.

Since Orient is such a popular beach with cruisers it is very easy to get full cabs in each direction thus decreasing the cost. If you do this on your own you can choose to leave when you want which is a great perk in my opinion. For under $80 return for 2 people you should be able to get chairs, umbrella, lunch and 2 drinks each and round trip transportation. I think $70 would even be reasonable to be honest. Sometimes cruiseship excursions have advantages especially those far from port but this one doesn't have anything over a DIY day to Orient IMHO.

Dawn beach has limited facilities too and can have a current. I'd choose between Dawn and Mullet based on the day's weather - pick the side that will have the least waves/current if possible. Orient is a party beach so will be crowded. I've heard good things about the beach early but turns into a zoo later.

• 2 weeks later...

just got back from orient beach- if you are a big group you can bargain for a better taxi rate outside of the cruise gates-we paid $100 return for a group of 10 and only paid at the end of the trip-taxi ride was about 1/2 hr each way. standard price for beach chair, umbrella and drink is $7-8. much cheaper than what the cruise ships will charge.