Uxmal and Hacienda-back a few weeks-comments

marshhawk

I haven't had time yet to write a full ship review, but thought I would let you know about my experience at Uxmal and Hacienda Ochill. This was booked through the ship, and was one of the most professional and educational excursions that we have done.

They picked us up from the pier (turns out that there were 3 buses that went on this excursion,) so if you book it, and plan to meet up with someone, make sure that you have the same departure time:o, which we didn't so we didn't end up meeting someone from our roll call.

Our tour guide gave us the economic history of the area, and how companies provide housing for their employees. You will not see this type of housing when you are leaving Progreso, but closer to Merida.

Once at Uxmal we were given time to take a "piddle" break and then the tour began. Carlos our guide, was very informative about the ruins. I wont give away a lot of the special stuff, but trust me, our guide was 10 times better than the other guides I heard.

There was someone on our tour who asked lots of questions, and then at the end of the tour, he informed our guide that the restorations were all wrong, and blah blah blah, like Carlos could do any thing about it, if you get my meaning...and this person's questions, which slowed us down a bit, did cut into our time at the Hacienda.

The Hacienda was a place back in time that allowed the visual senses to be flooded with beauty and serentity. The excursion included a snack here, our guide said it was a pre lunch snack (think hobbits with second breakfast or 11sises,) but to me it was a meal.

We got a time to stroll around a bit, take some pictures, chat with our fellow excursion folk and then back on the bus. Carlos mentioned something about siesta and I was out like a light, getting back to the ship with about 15 minutes to shop at the little mall at the pier. I should have shopped here, as the same stuff was more expensive in Cozumel.

Yes, Progreso is poor, and several of my friends who just wondered into town, regretted it immediately, but dont stay on the ship! Book an excursion and see some of this beautiful country and the history! I should be doing a full reivew soon, and happy cruising to all!

• 1 month later...
We enjoyed visiting Uxmal. It is a very interesting site and well worth the long ride.

Thanks for your post.

Were there lots of vendors at Uxmal? I've heard that Chichen Itza has so many that they can interfere with your tour which is why we are opting for Uxmal this June. Haven't heard as much about it being a problem at Uxmal.

Once you purchase your tickets at Uxmal and enter the grounds, there are no vendors. While the vendors at Chichen Itza slightly detract from the experience, the vendors alone should not make your decision. I think the larger crowds at CI are more of a problem. Uxmal is much less crowded, and is a shorter drive from Progreso. I try to take guests to both sites and let them choose which is the more enjoyable experience. If you can only choose one, I suggest Uxmal.

Were there lots of vendors at Uxmal? I've heard that Chichen Itza has so many that they can interfere with your tour which is why we are opting for Uxmal this June. Haven't heard as much about it being a problem at Uxmal.

No, there weren't many vendors when we were there. As I recall, they were outside the site area. They were not aggressive either which made it nice to browse for souvenirs.

Happy sailing wherever you go!

Once you purchase your tickets at Uxmal and enter the grounds, there are no vendors. While the vendors at Chichen Itza slightly detract from the experience, the vendors alone should not make your decision. I think the larger crowds at CI are more of a problem. Uxmal is much less crowded, and is a shorter drive from Progreso. I try to take guests to both sites and let them choose which is the more enjoyable experience. If you can only choose one, I suggest Uxmal.

Thanks-pretty much what we had decided.