Photo Review: Celebrity Summit 2/1/14 Southern Caribbean

HeatherC430

Thank you for the review with so much detail and many beautiful pictures!!! My future husband and I will be sailing the same ship, same itinerary, in November for our honeymoon. It will be my first time cruising and I can't wait!

One of the best reviews I have ever read - great job!

I have one question about the excursion you did river tubing - in hindsight would you book it or not? This is our second time visiting there and I was looking for something different. Thanks

Judy

I have one question about the excursion you did river tubing - in hindsight would you book it or not? This is our second time visiting there and I was looking for something different. Thanks

Judy

Great review!! We were also on this cruise and it was great reliving the week through your beautiful pictures!!

One of the areas we found lacking was wine service in the MDR. We found it to be poor to, sometimes, nonexistent. We found this same issue on the Silhouette and Reflection. I don't know if so many people having the beverage package contributed to this problem. :confused:

Judy

Thank you! That's quite a compliment!

Yes, if I had never river tubed before, I would book it again. I wouldn't have passed on the helmet though! And IMO watershoes are a must too (if you decide to book it). Not only do you have to stand up on the rocks and such while the water is moving, but often times you'd go feet first into a rock, and if you had watershoes on, you could push yourself away from the rocks as you approached. It was fun and something different (which is why I booked it too). I wouldn't book it after 2 adventurous days like I did! It was a bit too adventurous for 3 excursions in a row! As long as you're not expecting a "lazy river" you should be good. At least half the group was expecting more of a float downstream, that's all.

Celebrity became my cruiseline of choice after our Constellation cruise (which used to do the Southern Caribbean that Summit now does). We did cruise RC 5 years later because we had our boys with us and thought the kids program would be better there. I do think RC has the edge there, but for pure relaxation, Celebrity had a huge advantage.

The only time we saw any of the waiters pushing the drink of the day on the Connie was at sail away - mojitos who could go wrong with that when sailing out of San Juan! :) There was also karaoke in the Rendezvous Lounge nightly - one of our tablemates sang one night. So much fun.

I'm so looking forward to next year when we are on Summit. I hope to have as much fun as we did on Connie and even Millie.

It's not even that I wanted to have drinks "pushed" more, just more readily available! And/or ideas/suggestions of things to get. Carnival always has drink menus of frozen or mixed drinks that you've never heard of. I always enjoying trying new things I may have not thought of otherwise.

I'm going to have to stay up later on my next cruise to make it to karaoke! lol

We were on the same cruise! And the same tour with Mandoo (I was the one handing you things to sniff -I was on your right - which is why you looked so familiar when I started reading this review :)). This was our second Celebrity sailing but we've booked another one. Mostly because of the 123 promo, but also for reasons you've mentioned (the service, the fellow passengers, etc.) I didn't go to karaoke, but I understand it went on somewhere every day. There was also dancing every night in Revelations (for those who've wondered about late night dancing). Hubby went out to disco night while I crashed...he ended up dancing until about 3:30...he said he wasn't the last one to leave. I find there's so much to do we have to make up a "to do" list. Top of the list for this cruise was to go to the T-pool and to spend some time at the martini bar. We got those things done but I'm sure we missed other things. I'm glad you enjoyed your first Celebrity cruise.

That's funny you were right next to me! Lucky you or you would have ended up in some of the pics! lol Yes, there were a ton of things onboard that myself & DH didn't do (didn't go to any onboard events, shows, etc), never went in the pool, hot tubs or T pool. This leaves lots of things to do on my next two Summit cruises I suppose!:)

Thank you for the review with so much detail and many beautiful pictures!!! My future husband and I will be sailing the same ship, same itinerary, in November for our honeymoon. It will be my first time cruising and I can't wait!

You're welcome & thank you for the kind words! Enjoy your first cruise! No doubt you'll get hooked like the rest of us and cruising much more in the your future! Have a blast!:)

Great review!! We were also on this cruise and it was great reliving the week through your beautiful pictures!!

One of the areas we found lacking was wine service in the MDR. We found it to be poor to, sometimes, nonexistent. We found this same issue on the Silhouette and Reflection. I don't know if so many people having the beverage package contributed to this problem. :confused:

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed reading! We only went to MDR once all week and didn't try getting drinks that night while dining. I can see how that could be an issue. In general, I think it would be a world of difference onboard if Celebrity added a few extra bartenders - especially to the lido deck during the busy times of day (say from when everyone starts boarding the ship in the afternoon around lunch time through the start of dinner time). This is when we found it especially difficult to get a drink onboard. There would literally be one or two bartenders and a sea of people waiting to get their attention for a drink.

Thank you for the photo review. I would love to try Celebrity.

We do not have any children but usually sail during the summer because DH likes the hot weather. How was the weather on your cruise? In the 70s or 80s?

The temperature ranged from a low of 80-81 to a high of 87 in the ports that we visited. It was Southern Caribbean so it was warmer than say the Bahamas at the time of year (which can be almost chilly at times in Jan/Feb). Still, in comparison coming from freezing temperatures in Pittsburgh, it seemed very warm to what we're experiencing at home! The weather was perfect for us.

Thank you for the photo review. I would love to try Celebrity.

We do not have any children but usually sail during the summer because DH likes the hot weather. How was the weather on your cruise? In the 70s or 80s?

Just noticed in your signature that you're on the Breeze in July! Enjoy! That was my favorite of all our Carnival ships we've been on - we were onboard January of last year! I have a review to my cruise in my signature (sorry no pics for that one are posted though).

Just noticed in your signature that you're on the Breeze in July! Enjoy! That was my favorite of all our Carnival ships we've been on - we were onboard January of last year! I have a review to my cruise in my signature (sorry no pics for that one are posted though).

Yes, we like the Breeze too. We sailed on her last July. We are going on the 8 day Aruba route this summer.

We live in Northern California, so we do not have snow but it has been a chilly 30s and 40s for us. I think 80 degree weather would be great. We love to snorkel so hoping the water temps are warm. Although the Caribbean waters are much warmer than the Pacific anytime of the year.

Thanks again for the review and photos. I am off to the Celebrity site to check on cruises/ships.

Interesting how everyone does different things on the same cruise! We were also on the Mandoo tour (sat up front - my husband is blind) - also not crazy about trying to take photos from the van - especially if it was the opposite side where you sat. This was our 1st time on Celebrity & we enjoyed it ( but also enjoyed our previous Carnival & Princess).

By the way - re formal night - our table mate said he never brings a suit or tie - did wear a dress shirt - and it was no problem.

Charlene

Heather,

Celebrity doesn't have any self service laundry or ironing services. I am so used to this on Carnival as I like to iron my clothes before dinner. How did you manage to have or keep your clothes pressed? Did you pay?

We send my husband's shirts out to be pressed if they need it. It doesn't cost much and they look so good! As for me, I try to bring things that are made of non wrinkle fabric, and hang everything up the first afternoon.

Thank you so much for your reviews and pictures.. We will be on the other itinerary in January 15 and it will be our first time on Summit. We have sailed on Solstice twice and loved her. For us its worth the long haul flight from GB.. DH wanted to try one of the smaller X ships and after reading your reviews I'm so glad we are booked on her. There will be 4 couples in total with ages ranging from 60 down to 24 so a good mix. Thank you once again for some great info and I hope you enjoy your next cruise as much as your last one.

Yes, we like the Breeze too. We sailed on her last July. We are going on the 8 day Aruba route this summer.

We live in Northern California, so we do not have snow but it has been a chilly 30s and 40s for us. I think 80 degree weather would be great. We love to snorkel so hoping the water temps are warm. Although the Caribbean waters are much warmer than the Pacific anytime of the year.

Thanks again for the review and photos. I am off to the Celebrity site to check on cruises/ships.

We did the Aruba route on the Breeze last year - Curacao was our favorite of all the stops (by far)! Enjoy!

Interesting how everyone does different things on the same cruise! We were also on the Mandoo tour (sat up front - my husband is blind) - also not crazy about trying to take photos from the van - especially if it was the opposite side where you sat. This was our 1st time on Celebrity & we enjoyed it ( but also enjoyed our previous Carnival & Princess).

By the way - re formal night - our table mate said he never brings a suit or tie - did wear a dress shirt - and it was no problem.

Charlene

Looks like everyone on that Mandoo tour is on Cruise Critic! lol :D

That's good to know. I was under the impression from all the heated debates on this forum that you had to wear a jacket of some sort. My DH will wear a jacket to weddings, but he doesn't want to lug a suit and/or jacket to the Caribbean for the week for one dinner! And there's no chance of him wearing a tie - ever - it's not his style.

(I fully suspect people to jump in at this point and say you MUST wear a jacket to dinner - or they'll give you one at the MDR - which my DH was also against) - Don't worry people, we probably won't go to formal night anyways! I think that ship has sailed for my DH! lol :)

Thank you so much for your reviews and pictures.. We will be on the other itinerary in January 15 and it will be our first time on Summit. We have sailed on Solstice twice and loved her. For us its worth the long haul flight from GB.. DH wanted to try one of the smaller X ships and after reading your reviews I'm so glad we are booked on her. There will be 4 couples in total with ages ranging from 60 down to 24 so a good mix. Thank you once again for some great info and I hope you enjoy your next cruise as much as your last one.

You're welcome. Glad I could help! I have no doubt you'll enjoy the Summit...just as I will on my upcoming one! I'll be sure to take photos on my next Summit cruise that I missed on this one! :D

We were on the Century to Alaska last summer and we had no problems with any of the service. We spent less time on the ship, but there was barely a wait at any of the bars and the wine steward at dinner was awesome and helpful and we had lots of great wine with our package. I don't know if it's because this cruise was in the Caribbean or what, but we did find there were longer waits at bars (even when no other pax were there???) and the wine steward was nonexistent. Actually, he was there but he seemed to be ignoring us and only went to a select few people. Most nights we didn't get any wine till the end of our appetizer course. The last two nights we were seated in a section with a somewhat better wine steward (I'm not sure either of these guys would be qualified to be called sommeliers) who came over sooner and remembered me the second night. I'm hoping this was just a glitch. I didn't experience such a lack of care in any other area on this cruise.

(I fully suspect people to jump in at this point and say you MUST wear a jacket to dinner - or they'll give you one at the MDR - which my DH was also against) - Don't worry people, we probably won't go to formal night anyways! I think that ship has sailed for my DH! lol :)

There were only 2 dinners I wore a jacket to the MDR last Nov, these were the 'suggested' formal evenings:D I was in the majority, not minority, on the other evenings. 98% of our fellow pax have no knowledge of Cruise Critic :D

That said, thru the 1990's they would offer the men a jacket, our Christmas sailing on the Horizon in 2000 was the first time the MDR was full of jacket less men! Try the MDR a couple of times on your next sailing:)

Edited by wallie5446

There were only 2 dinners I wore a jacket to the MDR last Nov, these were the 'suggested' formal evenings:D I was in the majority, not minority, on the other evenings. 98% of our fellow pax have no knowledge of Cruise Critic :D

That said, thru the 1990's they would offer the men a jacket, our Christmas sailing on the Horizon in 2000 was the first time the MDR was full of jacket less men! Try the MDR a couple of times on your next sailing:)

My next cruise is with my mom, so I fully suspect we'll eat dinner in the MDR on most nights - including the formal nights. I am alittle bit nervous because we're at the 6:00 dining time at an assigned table (my DH and I always opt to be antisocial and sit by ourselves at the anything/your time dining option) because that option on this cruise was already waitlisted when we booked a few months back! As long as our table mates are tolerable, I'm sure we'll go most nights though. ;)

We like the MDR. Having someone serve you a lovely 3 or 4 course meal every night is heavenly. They are so nice to us in the MDR. And with Hubby's GF issues it's safer for him. Have you tried asking for a table for 2? I think they might be available even for traditional seatings. If not, you can try asking the day you board. We are also antisocial. We were friendly with some people we kept running into on the last cruise but this is our time away from the kids and everyday life, so we prefer to eat on our own and talk about our day and plans for tomorrow, etc.

We like the MDR. Having someone serve you a lovely 3 or 4 course meal every night is heavenly. They are so nice to us in the MDR. And with Hubby's GF issues it's safer for him. Have you tried asking for a table for 2? I think they might be available even for traditional seatings. If not, you can try asking the day you board. We are also antisocial. We were friendly with some people we kept running into on the last cruise but this is our time away from the kids and everyday life, so we prefer to eat on our own and talk about our day and plans for tomorrow, etc.

When we do the anytime/Select Dining option we always get a table for 2 without any issues - that's part of why we like that option. With my mom on this upcoming cruise, she's much more social and willing to talk to anyone, so I'm just going to go with it. If i was pressed with my DH and only the specific dining options were available, I'd probably go out of my way to try and get a table for 2 assigned to us. Lucily, we normally book our yearly winter time cruise well enough in advance that the Select option was available to us. We also like being able to go to dinner whenever we want on any given day, as opposed to having to be there at a set time. We don't mind that we might not get the same serving staff by doing that option.