Photo Review: Celebrity Summit 2/1/14 Southern Caribbean

HeatherC430

Great photos and awesome review. You need to work for the travel channel.

Thank you! Oh..that would be a dream come true! Me…the “Samantha Brown” of the cruise world! I do think the Travel Channel is missing out on the opportunity to run a cruise focused programming! I wish I knew how to break into that market!

Food: It goes without saying that the food is subjective. Both my DH and I really enjoyed all of the food we had throughout the week. We only dined in Qsine for dinner one night, Bistro on Five another night, and the main dining room the very last night onboard the ship. There’s a reason I didn’t have any photos of pictures of the main dining room – it’s because by the time we went there on the last night my camera was on the fritz! We did enjoy our one and only dining room experience. We had prepaid gratuities in order to have the select/your time dining option. The night we went, we were given a table for two almost immediately. The service and food was excellent in the MDR. No doubt on my upcoming cruise with my mom, we’ll go to the main dining room almost daily for dinner.

The rest of the time – which was pretty much the whole time - we at breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the Oceanview café on Lido deck. I’ll focus on the lunch and dinner venues first. We were really impressed by all of the options and the quality of what was served overall– this was hands down about 100 times better than what we’ve experienced on Carnival’s buffet areas. I wanted to take pictures of several of the areas at the end of the week, and didn’t get to it (next cruise I’ll add it to my list).

Specifically, we LOVED the sushi that was available in the evenings. The selection was always very good and one of the chefs would be rolling the sushi as you came up to the buffet in the evenings. I believe it was available 5:30-9:30 daily. The sushi was the only thing we ate for dinner on the night of the Super Bowl. We had it a few other times throughout the week. My DH had at least a few pieces almost every day.

Another hit was the pasta bar where the chef would mix and heat in the pan right in front of you whatever options of pasta/sauce and mix-in (vegetables and such) that you wanted. I had alfredo on whole wheat penne pasta one night that was really good. My DH had this several times as he’s a much better fan of pasta than I. He said everything he had was really good. Early in the week, he said he could have eaten there all week and been happy! They also had meatballs, rolls, and garlic bread daily in this area.

We didn’t try the Indian/stir fry area at all during the week, but others onboard that we talked to said it was very good. Also, I did notice the area in the back where they’d grill you chicken, steak, or fish on demand in the dinner hours. We didn’t try this, but everything looked very good.

The pizza I had several times throughout the week for lunch or dinner. All the pizza we had was really good. My favorite was the 4-cheese variety although that didn’t seem to be available daily. What I liked (in compared to Carnival) is that Celebrity always has various kinds ready to go for you – so you cruise up to the area and just tell them which variety and how many pieces you want. Also, the servings are in long strip/pieces. Think one rectangular flat bread pizza, divided into four pieces. Even with them making it in advance, it was always hot and fresh!

There was also the area in the buffet that changed from day to day for both lunch and dinners. This area always had a carving of some cut of meat, salad bar and whatever kind of food they were serving that day. We specifically enjoyed the day they had a host of different Mexican foods!

We had the burger and fries several times at the Lido grill for lunch. Celebrity’s burgers are better than Carnival’s standard burger – but probably not as good as Guy Fieri’s burgers.

Perhaps my favorite area on the lido buffet options was the hand scooped ice cream (free of charge). I loved every flavor I got (except on day one where I got the frozen yogurt – after that I stuck with just the ice cream and was glad I did). They always had some sort of candy options for the top if you so desired! Even peanut m&m’s! And I believe chocolate syrup if you so desired.

The various options on the buffet with regards to breakfast items were pretty much the same daily as far as I could tell. They had so many options though, that you could get something different every day and never get bored. On that same note, I pretty much stuck to the same thing every morning. Based on one of the threads I read pre-cruise raving about the croissants, I tried one the first morning. They were so good – I’m pretty sure I had one every day after that! I’d have fresh pineapple chunks and freshly squeezed orange juice each morning. Then depending on my mood, I’d add a hash brown, bacon, or sausage on the side – all of which were good.

One morning I did try the waffle station in the back. It was a reasonably decent wait compared to anywhere else and I was wowed by the final product (although it was good). I thought based on reviews it was really going to be something special though. They also had an omelet and poached egg station in the mornings which I didn’t try.

They had different areas labeled American Breakfast or English Breakfast although I’m not totally sure what the differences were. Funny Story: So, on our excursion in Dominica Sam (one of the other couple who did the tour with us) was talking about how she had tried “Blood Sausage” that morning at Breakfast and telling us how it was actually pretty good. Then we realized what had happened that morning….So, that morning I had asked the server behind the buffet for what was labeled “Turkey Sausage”. I took what she gave me and upon back at the table, I had a bit of one of the black sausage links. Even though they looked different than what I know a Turkey Sausage to look like, I figured maybe it was a cruise line difference or something and went with it and tried it anyways. I wasn’t wild about how it tasted and only took that one bite, telling my DH it tasted strange. Come to find…no doubt the girl behind the buffet gave me a “Blood Sausage” too and not the “Turkey Sausage”.

My only complaint about the lido ocean view buffet: no chocolate milk?

My DH & I have become accustomed to drinking chocolate milk daily on each of our Carnival cruises – it has always been part of the treat that goes along with being a cruise! We were sad to see half pints of regular and skim milk daily – but no chocolate milk! Now…if I missed it somewhere or I could have specifically asked for it – please let me know so I’ll be fully equipped for my next cruise! Lol

One side note, while I didn’t have the standard coffee on Lido deck, my DH had it several times throughout the week and said it was just as good as what I had gotten for him from the Café al Bacio on deck 5 on several mornings using the drink package.

Overall, I would say that the buffet food was hands down WAY better than what we’ve experienced. However, I’ll put the main dining room (based on our one visit) and specialty restaurants on par what we’ve experienced on Carnival.

Debarkation: I guess I forgot to note the debarkation. We did the self-assist debark like we normally do on Carnival. We were instructed to be out of our staterooms by 8am. So, prior to that on the last morning, we went to lido for one last breakfast, and then returned to our ship to pick up our suitcases. We did not obey and go to the lounge where the self-debarks were supposed to go. Instead, we just left the ship with the rest of the crowds of people at the area on (deck 4?) right next to the Martini bar. We were literally off the ship within minutes at that point. Probably the easiest debarkation we’ve had. In customs, we were only in line behind about 10 people (in each line) and it moved relatively quickly. No more than 5 minute wait at that point.

I don’t think I mentioned that in St. Croix we had purchased some incense from this guy on the street (he had a small table setup with various kinds of incense). They were large of the lemon grass variety. We thought they’d be great to burn outside in the summer time at the pool in the evenings and would keep bugs away. So, I told my DH when we were boarding the ship in St. Croix to put them in my beach bag. He refused because he didn’t want them getting broken.

Needless to say when he tries to walk through the metal detectors with them in his hands the security guy said he needed to check them. So they made of a note of our room number and told us we could pick them up on debarkation day. Anyways, when they scan my Celebrity card as I’m getting off the ship the alarm starts sounding – it was at that point that they told me I had a confiscated item to pick up at the terminal (in case I forgot). We still weren’t sure where this was and after we went through customs, there was one security guy at a table that had other confiscated items. Most were travel irons or knives (steak knives, pocket knives, etc)…and their lied our incense.

Once we exited the terminal, taxi cabs were literally lined up! The who of us hopped in one and were on our way. It was only slightly over $20 for the both of us. We arrived at the airport, scanned our bags through the agricultural scanner, checked into our flight that wasn’t until 1:40 pm (shockingly US Air allowed us to check our bags that early), through security, and we were already sitting waiting for our flight by 9:30am.

The only added drama en route home that we experienced was once we boarded our flight, the plane (and others I assume) was grounded on the runway for an additional 50 minutes past our take off time – they said there was some sort of emergency situation in San Juan. That delayed us (but not as late as you would have thought to our next connecting flight in Charlotte). Once in Charlotte, we literally had just enough time to stop at the restroom and get to our gate for the next flight which was already boarding! So, needless to say, when we were back in Pittsburgh that night waiting for our luggage to come off the conveyor belts, we weren’t surprised that our luggage didn’t make it. We stopped in the US Air office and made our claim. They said a currier would be delivering our luggage for us – probably that evening. The next morning (to our surprise) our suitcases were on our front deck!

I really enjoyed your review. We sailed on the Summit three times last year- on three different itineraries- and are on her again in 8 weeks! Needless to say we think she's a fantastic ship with the best crew! Loved reliving our trips by looking at your pictures. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fellow cruisers: This was perhaps what I was most worried about upon trying our first Celebrity cruise and ended up being the nicest surprise. Until most people our age (32 and 40) my DH and I do not have kids, so while most of our peers would be looking for something family friendly, we are not. We’d prefer there be as little children as possible onboard. Even with Carnival, we’ve always stayed away cruising during the summer months, school breaks or holidays and an attempt to minimize our exposure to children. It was SO nice hardly having any kids onboard. I can literally say that I saw LESS THAN TEN kids onboard the entire week (I was counting!). What was even more surprise was the few that we saw were really well behaved – you barely even noticed them.

The part of Celebrity that had me concerned was that I was worried prior to cruising that the age range of most onboard would have been much older. It was an older crowd (than us) for the most part. I would put the bulk of those onboard in the 40-60 range. With that being said, all of the older (than us) couples we talked to, we really enjoyed conversing with – and we probably had more in common with them, than we would with some people in our age range. With that being said, there were a decent amount of couples in our age range as well onboard.

I’m going to try to remain as “pc” as possible and you can take my comments for what they’re worth…the demographics onboard Celebrity seemed to be as close to ourselves as any cruise line would embody. In comparison to all of our Carnival cruises, everyone at least appeared to be of middle to upper class (ie, we didn’t notice any low class or “trashy” people that you often times will experience on Carnival – disclaimer – I’m clearly not talking about all those on Carnival since I’ve said with them many times). I’m not even speaking economically, more so in the way that people carried themselves. Everyone was very courteous to each other and the staff. Everyone we encountered was overly friendly. Celebrity seemed to embody a classier sort of cruiser. It was most definitely a nice change of place from what we’ve experienced on Carnival. This was probably what stuck out to us the most as being “different” than what we’ve experience on Carnival (not the food, service, etc that other people on other reviews mention).

With that being said, it also surprised me that most people onboard were dressed what I would consider “normal” and not as overly conservative or dressy – at least all the time during the day or onboard during the nonformal nights. Some evenings, while walking through the Lido deck, I felt overdressed in my sundresses while others were still wearing shorts & tshirts. After reading all these heated dress code debates on Celebrity’s boards, I would have expected to have felt underdressed at points – I did not. We knew going in that we weren’t going to participate in the formal nights – and were fine with dining elsewhere on those nights.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv6%3A2%3A%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B66%3A%3B86255ot1lsi

I love this picture! I just booked this itinerary for March 28, 2015. DH and I have been on the Summit's sister ships, Constellation and Millennium. This will be our 3rd trip to the Southern Caribbean. St. Croix and St. Kitts are the only 2 islands we haven't been to yet on this itinerary. Ten years ago, we booked our first independent excursion in Grenada and we haven't looked back since. So much more personal and much cheaper (except in Alaska) than the cruise tours. Can't wait to read more.

So? After booking all independent excursions this time, will you do it again?

Great trip report Heather!

We were on this cruise as well...

In fact I am in one of your pictures...at the Mr Nice fruit stand.

I'm in the blue plaid shirt standing next to Mr Nice.

I believe you went on the river tubing with Sam and Nick who were our table mates in the MDR.

We enjoyed the thid cruise very much.:)

Thanks Darbs7! I’m SURE that’s what he meant! That didn’t even occur to me! Lol :D

Enjoy your cruise on the Summit – I know you will! I’ll try and get as many pictures in today for you before you leave! But soon enough, you’ll be onboard to enjoy yourself! We went to Trunks Bay in St. John on our last cruise (via St. Thomas) and loved it! We’ll probably opt to go back to St. John again on next year’s itinerary. The beaches there are phenomenal!

We didn’t find that us (not drinking wine, martini’s or top shelf liquor) needed the premium package – we were quite happy with what was included in our classic package. Although, having the premium package makes sense to a lot of people depending on what you drink. I’m sure you’ll love Celebrity!

Thanks for finishing your review. Hubby and I (43 and 47) are empty nesters (we have one grown daughter) and our celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary this year and we too look for less "family friendly" cruising. I am a teacher so I am going over break so I expect to see kids, but we frequent lounges, martini bar, wine bar, we are aqua so spa, adult only pool, and we will be eating in Blu.

I have plopped my behind in front of the weather channel all day. I am biting nails about this clipper system moving across country. I fly from Albany NY to Baltimore MD at 6:30 am. Albany will be fine, but Baltimore will be having weather at that time. Keep your fingers crossed for me and thank you so much for your awesome review.

Thank you for the great, detailed review, and especially for including information on the excursions you took. We are going on this cruise in 2 weeks and it helped give me a preview of the ports. (Don't need one for the Summit - was on it last year for the first time. The "other" southern Caribbean itinerary was pretty good - I loved Barbados and St. Lucia (and San Juan).

Loved your review, particularly your point of view as a first time Celebrity cruiser. Sounds like it was a great trip.

I too have never cruised Celebrity, have done NCL couple times, Carnival and Disney. The Carnival was out of San Juan too but I personally did not enjoy the ship (Victory) but the itinerary was the highlight. I have the summit booked for November so your review was very enjoyable and really liked hearing some of my own fears answered, especially around the dressiness of fellow passengers. Also good to hear the buffet is so good since that is typically the place we frequent and also avoid formal night of any kind

Really looking forward to cruising on the summit and the drink package included can only add to the experience.

Thanks for sharing!

It's funny - the very first time we booked an independent excursion it was with Mandoo - the very same tour you took. We did get beach time though and he took us to a "restaurant" (pretty much the back patio of someone's home) that no tourist would ever find. The meal was delicious and while the rest of the tour group swam at the beach, Mandoo took a nap!

It was a great tour though.

I really want to climb to the top of the volcano, but not sure I'm in shape for it. Climbing to the top of Diamond Head in Honolulu was rough and it had stairs in parts - one part had like 100+ stairs just about straight up! I made it and the view was awesome. Not sure I could do it again though.

Thank you Heather for a great review. Like you we loved our Summit cruise. It's funny that with the same itinerary we did completely different excursions.

One similarity is that we exhausted ourselves on a couple of them ,specifically the Dominica tour.

Another similarity was that we started our cruising lives with Carnival. We continue to like Carnival and would be happy to sail with them in the future

BUT after experiencing Celebrity, :):):), we have found our new favorite.

I agree that the food is better but not by so much in the buffet. Having been on one of the 2.0 ships this summer (Glory), we were really impressed with Guy's burgers, the taco bar and the seafood/fish n chips area.

I do agree that it was no contest between Carnival's soft ice cream and the incredible Celebrity homemade ice cream.

Throw in the amazing cookies and the deck slants to Celebrity.:D

I look forward to reading more reviews from you.

Heather,

I really enjoyed your review and am impressed on your rugged excursions. If you go to Labadee which is the island stop for Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity, you guys would probably enjoy the Zip Line, and Jet Skiing. I just went on Celebrity Equinox for New Years Cruise and had great time. Thanks Again Jon P:)

Excellent review! I thoroughly enjoyed it as I sit here in cold Chicago looking at snow outside! I'm glad you really enjoyed Celebrity. I echo your feelings about fellow passengers. The clientele on Celebrity is one of the main reasons we enjoy sailing them so much. We are in our late 20s / early 30s and while may of our friends are on Carnival or RC, we find ourselves much happier on Celebrity.

Cheers & Happy Cruising! :)

I love this picture! I just booked this itinerary for March 28, 2015. DH and I have been on the Summit's sister ships, Constellation and Millennium. This will be our 3rd trip to the Southern Caribbean. St. Croix and St. Kitts are the only 2 islands we haven't been to yet on this itinerary. Ten years ago, we booked our first independent excursion in Grenada and we haven't looked back since. So much more personal and much cheaper (except in Alaska) than the cruise tours. Can't wait to read more.

So? After booking all independent excursions this time, will you do it again?

Thanks! Me too! We loved this itinerary & getting a few ports we hadn't been to before! The tidal pools in St. Croix is unlike anything we've done on any other excursions - if you're up for an adventure I'd recommend this tour through Tan Tan.

I would agree about the tour being so much more personalized booking independently. We really liked that all of our tours were small groups - with the largest being Mandoo's tour of 12 or so. We especially liked the ones where we were paired with only one other couple - then again, I suppose it depends on how well you get along with the other couple. Luckily we had great luck with Gayle & Randy (we even hung out with them at night during the Super Bowl - pre-planned - which really says a lot because most of the time myself & DH are happy to spend time solo as opposed to with others). Sam & Nick were great too - every time we'd see them onboard afterwards we'd stop and catch up with hour their days in port and onboard were going. Clearly, saving a few dollars is nice too. Plus, you couldn't help but feel that you were giving your money directly to the locals - rather than going through the cruise line where they're taking (probably a sizeable) cut!

With that being said, I will say that I'm not sure I operate on "island time". In my expectations, if you're running a tour you should at least be one time - ideally a little bit early to greet your guests. You couldn't help but worry if they were going to show, or if you were in the right place prior to you actually meeting with them. Booking through the cruise line, you literally don't have to think (or worry) about anything from the time you see someone with your excursion listed on their sign. You never have to worry about making it back to the ship before it leaves, etc. I'd being lying if it didn't run through my head when we were stranded in the broken down jeep "what if" we didn't make it back to port on time and the ship left without us - or - how much is it going to cost us to fly to St. Kitts from here to get back on the ship? Or...on my volcano hike wondering if I twisted my ankle, odds are I'd miss the ship. Not booking through the ship was in the back of my mind the whole time - as if I was waiting for something to go wrong. Luckily, everything worked out fine & part of this was probably my anxiety for booking independently.

So, to answer you question...I guess it depends. If there's an excursion or attraction I want to see that isn't offered via the cruise ship (like the tide pools) I would book independently again without thinking twice. Now if it's a tour that's offered through the ship and does the exact same stops or attractions, I may still book through the cruise line just for piece of mind. At this point in time, I haven't made up a clear decision one way or another - after going from only doing cruise line excursions on every other cruise we've ever taken, to this cruise where we booked all independently.

On my upcoming cruise with my mom, we'll mostly being going to various beaches, sight seeing tours and/or shopping - so with her we'll just book through the ship. Next year's cruise on the Summit - It'll depend on what I decide to do in those ports when the time comes. My DH likes to do more adventurous things. And while we've been to all those ports before, I like to do something different each time we visit.

Great trip report Heather!

We were on this cruise as well...

In fact I am in one of your pictures...at the Mr Nice fruit stand.

I'm in the blue plaid shirt standing next to Mr Nice.

I believe you went on the river tubing with Sam and Nick who were our table mates in the MDR.

We enjoyed the thid cruise very much.:)

Sometimes it's shocking what a small world it is on Cruise Critic! There's probably about a 3 degree of separation! lol :D

No doubt it's the same Sam & Nick! They were great!

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for finishing your review. Hubby and I (43 and 47) are empty nesters (we have one grown daughter) and our celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary this year and we too look for less "family friendly" cruising. I am a teacher so I am going over break so I expect to see kids, but we frequent lounges, martini bar, wine bar, we are aqua so spa, adult only pool, and we will be eating in Blu.

I have plopped my behind in front of the weather channel all day. I am biting nails about this clipper system moving across country. I fly from Albany NY to Baltimore MD at 6:30 am. Albany will be fine, but Baltimore will be having weather at that time. Keep your fingers crossed for me and thank you so much for your awesome review.

You're welcome! Hopefully the weather doesn't interfere with your cruise! Can't wait to hear & hopefully read all about it upon your return!

Thank you for the great, detailed review, and especially for including information on the excursions you took. We are going on this cruise in 2 weeks and it helped give me a preview of the ports. (Don't need one for the Summit - was on it last year for the first time. The "other" southern Caribbean itinerary was pretty good - I loved Barbados and St. Lucia (and San Juan).

I've been to both Barbados twice and St. Lucia once before (this the itinerary we're on for next February 2015). Once I get back from the Summit Repo cruise I'll start researching excursions in those ports - let me know if you did anything that was a MUST do on that itinerary! Thanks!

Loved your review, particularly your point of view as a first time Celebrity cruiser. Sounds like it was a great trip.

I too have never cruised Celebrity, have done NCL couple times, Carnival and Disney. The Carnival was out of San Juan too but I personally did not enjoy the ship (Victory) but the itinerary was the highlight. I have the summit booked for November so your review was very enjoyable and really liked hearing some of my own fears answered, especially around the dressiness of fellow passengers. Also good to hear the buffet is so good since that is typically the place we frequent and also avoid formal night of any kind

Really looking forward to cruising on the summit and the drink package included can only add to the experience.

Thanks for sharing!

As a first timer to Celebrity I was really impressed overall! I don't see us looking back anything soon, although I'm not totally closed off to trying other lines in the future. The buffet food was really that good in our opinion. Drink package probably affected my overall opinion, both getting it "for free" as a part of the 123go promo and also because our experience with the Celebrity drink package was far superior to our experience when we purchased it on our Carnival cruise (the Breeze). We were on the Victory out of San Juan before too (with 6 days in port and no sea days) the itinerary still continues to be one of our favorites. That's why we booked this Celebrity Cruise out of San Juan because it's so port intensive. Enjoy your cruise on the Summit - and your first Celebrity Cruise!

I really want to climb to the top of the volcano, but not sure I'm in shape for it. Climbing to the top of Diamond Head in Honolulu was rough and it had stairs in parts - one part had like 100+ stairs just about straight up! I made it and the view was awesome. Not sure I could do it again though.

Trust me, I considered whether or not I was in good enough shape the volcano hike pre-cruise as well. I'm normally a good "hiker" though and was hoping that I'd be ok. While I did make it the whole time, it was HARD - at least IMO. You could always go if it's something you really want to do - they give you option (at least on our tour) of stopping or turning around at any point if you can't go on any further. While physically, I would have loved to have turned around and/or stopped, I didn't want the shame of not finishing. That was enough to get me through the whole thing. And while I can tell you now, I wouldn't do it again - I was proud of my myself for not throwing in the towel and finishing it. It was probably when our tour guide Tristan said "everything in life that's worthwhile is a challenge" - and I thought to myself, he's probably right, and kept on going. The only thing I was disappointed is, was when I made it to the top and didn't really have any sort of view due to the fog - I'm jealous of other posters who made it to the top and say they had breathtaking views! Good luck if you decide to do it! :D

Thank you Heather for a great review. Like you we loved our Summit cruise. It's funny that with the same itinerary we did completely different excursions.

One similarity is that we exhausted ourselves on a couple of them ,specifically the Dominica tour.

Another similarity was that we started our cruising lives with Carnival. We continue to like Carnival and would be happy to sail with them in the future

BUT after experiencing Celebrity, :):):), we have found our new favorite.

I agree that the food is better but not by so much in the buffet. Having been on one of the 2.0 ships this summer (Glory), we were really impressed with Guy's burgers, the taco bar and the seafood/fish n chips area.

I do agree that it was no contest between Carnival's soft ice cream and the incredible Celebrity homemade ice cream.

Throw in the amazing cookies and the deck slants to Celebrity.:D

I look forward to reading more reviews from you.

I agree. After one cruise with Celebrity, I'm pretty sure it's my new favorite too! When I make the food references to Carnival, it's based on in general what I've experienced on all my 10 Carnival cruises - of those I've taken only one of them (the Breeze) had the 2.0 food upgrades. Now, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their 2.0 upgrades. If fact, if I do cruise Carnival, I'd be hard pressed to select a ship that didn't have the 2.0 food options - the only reason our last cruise since the Breeze we didn't care about was because we were doing that cruise for the Alaska itinerary and not for the ship. At the time it only made sense to stick to Carnival because that's what I was familiar with and we've enjoyed ALL of our cruises with them.

Thank you! Now that I have a system setup for writing these photo reviews and see how easy it is to post the pictures, I plan on doing one for each cruise going forward! Personally, in between cruises, I can't get enough of picture reviews myself! :D