Photo Review: Celebrity Summit 2/1/14 Southern Caribbean

HeatherC430

Once back onboard, we showered and got ready for dinner. But first, we stopped by the Lido pool bar for a drink. In the picture below is a mango daiquiri – my favorite! One thing I noticed that Celebrity did pretty much every time I ordered a frozen/blended drink; they added another shot of rum around or on the top of the drink. Normally on Carnival, you can bank on these frozen beverages containing very little alcohol, however, with this Celebrity technique of drink making, you could taste and feel the alcohol with each drink (which was nice).

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv6%3A89%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B699347255ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv339%3A%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B69934%3A255ot1lsi

That looks yummy! I am pretty much a beer drinker but do like Mango rum so think I will have to try that since it is included in the Classic Package. We are on Summit first week in April and really looking forward to it. Other itin from yours, but I have been on all the islands you are on for your cruise so really enjoying the review

First…"by your size" he probably meant small women not big burly man. You are just average size, not chubby.

Second hubby and I sail the Summit tomorrow. Your pictures are getting me all excited. We have done so many excursions (tubing, hiking, biking, falls, zip lining,etc)…we are beaching and relaxing this time.

St. Croix: Cruzan rum factory, walk around, back to boat

St. Kitts: Beach club for the day

Dominica: cooking class and rum tasting (about 12 people total)

Grenada: Grand Anse beach

St. Thomas: St. John (beach)

We are in aqua class with upgrade to premium drink package, this is our first Celebrity. We did Carnival six times, Royal twice, and then NCL 3X in a row (which we loved, but we were in a suite), excited for Celebrity.

Thanks for the review;)

Great review!! What was your experience with the Martini Bar? Were you able to get smaller speciality martinis using your classic package?

It was a very busy week onboard and we didn’t get to do as many of the onboard things as we would have liked – I suppose that’s what’s next year’s cruise on the Summit is for! While we didn’t have any drinks at the martini bar – specifically because neither of us are wild about martini’s. My DH drank Corona light’s all week – unless the bar was out at the time because he drank all of what they had on hand, in which case he typically drank Heineken light. Me, I drank a mix of Corona light and a wide range of frozen drinks using the beverage package. We knew in advance that if anything, we would have only got the smaller martinis as part of our classic package. I’ve read several times on the boards that they will do this for you, although we didn’t try.

I will say that all the waiters we encountered using our drink package was more than willing to ensure that your package coordinated with the drink you were given. For example, if I ordered a strawberry daiquiri, they automatically gave me the middle of the road rum without questioning me which I wanted them to use. If I ordered a bottle of water, they’d give me the one part of our package – and not Evian. It was really nice that they were so mindful of it (so you didn’t have to be). The ONLY time we were told we couldn’t have what we wanted (unless we paid full price) was when my DH attempted to get a Vitamin Water – that was a no go on the classic package.

Each time we walked through the martini bar area, my DH would make a comment about the level of commotion going on in that area. This was the only are of the ship like this IMO. I suppose that’s what they promote though. It appeared that everyone was enjoying themselves here though. He said the people there drinking at the martini bar “couldn’t hold their smoke” (apologies if not everyone gets the reference/joke). But I thought it was a good analogy.

That looks yummy! I am pretty much a beer drinker but do like Mango rum so think I will have to try that since it is included in the Classic Package. We are on Summit first week in April and really looking forward to it. Other itin from yours, but I have been on all the islands you are on for your cruise so really enjoying the review

It was delicious! I drink my fair share of Mango rum too at our pool bar in the summertime! If you like Mango rum you’ll love this drink! I didn’t meet a frozen drink on the Summit that I didn’t like! There was another drink I got (but didn’t get a picture of) that was really good too. I saw several people with them onboard and asked one of the bartenders what it was, they said a Bushwhacker. To me, it tasted like a frozen white Russian with chocolate syrup swirled in – I’m still not sure what’s in it, but would strongly recommend that one too if you’re interested.

First…"by your size" he probably meant small women not big burly man. You are just average size, not chubby.

Second hubby and I sail the Summit tomorrow. Your pictures are getting me all excited. We have done so many excursions (tubing, hiking, biking, falls, zip lining,etc)…we are beaching and relaxing this time.

We are in aqua class with upgrade to premium drink package, this is our first Celebrity. We did Carnival six times, Royal twice, and then NCL 3X in a row (which we loved, but we were in a suite), excited for Celebrity.

Thanks for the review;)

Thanks Darbs7! I’m SURE that’s what he meant! That didn’t even occur to me! Lol :D

Enjoy your cruise on the Summit – I know you will! I’ll try and get as many pictures in today for you before you leave! But soon enough, you’ll be onboard to enjoy yourself! We went to Trunks Bay in St. John on our last cruise (via St. Thomas) and loved it! We’ll probably opt to go back to St. John again on next year’s itinerary. The beaches there are phenomenal!

We didn’t find that us (not drinking wine, martini’s or top shelf liquor) needed the premium package – we were quite happy with what was included in our classic package. Although, having the premium package makes sense to a lot of people depending on what you drink. I’m sure you’ll love Celebrity!

The next day was a sea day. I had full intention of going to the brunch after seeing many pictures on reviews in advance, but didn’t end up going. We just ended up going to breakfast that morning. I explored the ship and took a few pictures that morning. Then, my DH went to the gym for a while and I found myself a lounge chair on one of the upper decks. Clearly the sea day was busier and more crowded than any other day onboard, but it wasn’t to the point that you couldn’t find a chair available.

And yes…there were still chair hogs to be found! I like that you were able to take one, two or more pool towels on Celebrity without being treated like a child and having to sign them out. However, I did noticed throughout the day that people would just leave their dirty towels on the chairs instead of returning them to the bins or shoots for the dirty towels. You’d see the pool attendants going around as the day went on picking them up. This was a tad irritating on two levels 1). You’d think people would be able to clean up after themselves. I mean..how hard is it to return your soiled towel the appropriate place after you’re done…and 2). Maybe someone would have wanted to use that chair that you left your dirty towel making it appear occupied. End of rant.

The photos below are taken from the aft bar on Lido deck

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7669%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B69%3A7%3A3255ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4%3B%3A9%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B69%3A7%3A4255ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B46%3B%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B69%3A7%3A5255ot1lsi

Tonight we went to dinner at Bistro on Five. I really wanted to try this week prior to the end of the week, and we were running out of time. This was formal night so Bistro on Five was pretty much empty. We had the place to ourselves until the very end of our meal. The service was great!

We both ordered a crepe – I ordered the Cowboy after seeing pics of it online as well as rave reviews. It didn’t disappoint! It was really good! My DH got the Hot & Spicy crepe. I tried some of his and it was just as good as mine! Instead of the side salad that typically comes with the crepes, we asked if we could spilt the Caesar salad that was on the menu instead (minus the chicken). They said it would be no problem. For dessert, we shared the Italian crepe. It was really good. Towards the end of the meal, the manager came around and asked why we were splitting one for dessert – in hindsight, we probably should have each gotten our own so we could have tried another. The Italian crepe was very good though.

Initially they did charge me $6.00 for my Corona light when they handed us the bill, but immediately removed the charge once I brought it to their attention that I had the classic beverage package. This place is well worth the $5 surcharge per person. Quite frankly, I’m surprised they aren’t charging more for this!

Cowboy

Hot and Spicy

Shredded Steak, Peppers, Jalapeño, Cheddar Cheese and Cumin Dressing

Italian

Nutella, Banana and Pistachio

Grilled Flank Steak, Spinach, Caramelized Onion, Bacon, Provolone and Blue Cheese Dressing

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8%3C58%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B69%3A7%3A7255ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9%3C%3B5%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B69%3A7%3A8255ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv97%3B%3A%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B69%3A7%3A%3A255ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7%3C47%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B69%3A7%3A%3B255ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3A69%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B6%3A37%3B3255ot1lsi

We’ve been to St. Thomas many times. Being boaters, it’s among our favorite ports. We love the marina feel with all the boats (dreaming about the day we’re throwing anchor in that harbor). We grabbed our breakfast that morning and took it out to the after bar area to eat. It’s a perfect place to see all the mega yachts! :D

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9533%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B6%3A37%3B4255ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv449%3A%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B6%3A37%3B5255ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A387%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B697535255ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B7%3A3%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B697536255ot1lsi

We’ve been to Magen’s Bay several times and it’s among our favorite beaches. After a very busy week, we decided to not book an excursion today and just relax on the beach for a while. Upon getting off the ship, the majority of the shops in St. Thomas were still closed which we found on our last cruise as well (It was between 8-8:30). It was relatively easy to find the taxi/shuttle bus drivers after you walked through where the stores were. We told them we were going to Magen’s Bay and they put us into a shared van ride with about 8 other people. The shuttle was $8 per person each way. Entrance into Magen’s Bay was $4 per person.

There is a restroom facilities, snack bar for food & drink and several water items to rent on the beach (specifically we saw people kayaing and paddleboarding). This was the first time that I've seen boats anchored off of Magen's Bay.

Below are the pictures I have from Magen’s Bay before my camera decided to act up. We suspect I got some water into the inside of the camera (even though it’s waterproof) and that’s why it was acting up. Unfortunately, as a result this will be my last save of photos. We left the camera dry out at home this week with all the compartments open and it appears to be working fine again. Looks like I’ll have to post the rest of my St. Thomas pictures in approximately 70 some days when I return! :)

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3869%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B69754%3A255ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv372%3A%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B69754%3B255ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv65%3B8%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B69754%3C255ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv6%3A39%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B697553255ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A94%3A%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E263%3B697554255ot1lsi

And that folks is unfortunately the end of the pictures….

I hope you enjoyed!

I’ll be writing up my overall comments next.

As they say, All good things come to an end. enjoyed your review very much and looking forward to your overall comments as a Carnival cruiser to a now Celebrity cruiser. Thanks =)

Thanks for the review;)

I have wanted to say the same thing to you Heather since you mentioned the comment in St. Kitts. I am 100% certain he was talking about how petite you are, and maybe referring to height. To a Caribbean man you are anything but chubby...... Our American ways of viewing weight and size are certainly not shared by many around the world.......

Kate Moss would get no where with most Caribbean men:) Of course these are generalizations, but they are pretty established views:)

I have wanted to say the same thing to you Heather since you mentioned the comment in St. Kitts. I am 100% certain he was talking about how petite you are, and maybe referring to height. To a Caribbean man you are anything but chubby...... Our American ways of viewing weight and size are certainly not shared by many around the world.......

Thanks cherylroslyn! I suppose there's a possibility he was talking about my height. Even at 5 '8, it was difficult to climb most of those rocks on that volcano hike. I can't imagine someone short (petite) making it up some of those inclines without some help. Regardless, I was twice this kid's size in both height and weight! :D The shocking part is that he didn't even hesitate to make the comment! I think he meant it as a compliment (that I did better than 95% of those "my size") and that's the only reason he still got a tip! lol