Pros & Cons Of Transferring Booking To TA

Why is it that if my TA is handling my booking, I cannot speak directly to RCI? They cite privacy as the main reason but at the end of the day, it is my booking. It's like booking flights with TA. I can still discuss my booking with the airline directly.

You can talk to Royal about certain aspects of your booking if it's with a TA. You can discuss things like specialty restaurants, excursions, drink packages, etc. Most everything else is between you and the TA.

I adore my TA...my family has done business with her for 20 years. But recently I missed out on a price drop on a D1 (they dropped to price I could afford to upgrade to) because it happened on a weekend and I couldn't reach her. I'm doing my own bookings from now on. I will not have that happen again. It wasn't her fault, just the nature of the beast.

Why is it that if my TA is handling my booking, I cannot speak directly to RCI? They cite privacy as the main reason but at the end of the day, it is my booking. It's like booking flights with TA. I can still discuss my booking with the airline directly.

Besides what was said about by Clarea (right as always too), I suspect part of the reason is that since RCI is paying a commission to the TA they don't want you tying up RCI agents with questions; that's what you have a TA for. They'd rather have those agents field incoming calls from people either booked directly, looking to book directly, or looking to add upgrades.

My TA is giving me, on our upcoming 11 nites Quantum cruise, paid grats., add'l $OBC to complement RCL's, dinner for 2 and $100 towards spa. These perks are adjusted if any sizeable price drops. The downside is a $100 cancellation fee, otherwise the service is as good a RCL's.

The perks you mention from your TA are great but I have a couple of questions. You say the service is as good as RCI's. Are you able to reach your TA on the weekends? What hours are they open during the week? Can you speak to anyone at the agency or only the one handling your booking?

Previously we booked with one of the big online TAs. We got great perks but access to the travel agent was limited. We're on the West Coast. Their office was not open on the weekend and I could not reach them after 3pm PST. I also could only talk to the agent handling the booking. As most of you know price drops and/changing cabins needs to be handled quickly as the price drop or coveted cabin may be gone. We lost out on a couple of things because we couldn't get ahold of the TA.

Now we book with an agency that is open 7 days a week, from 7am-7pm Pacific Time, and gives great OBC.

I feel compeled to add two cents. I always try to keep a couple future on-board bookings in my pocket. After I book a cruise with RCCL, I contact my TA to see what benefits the agency will provide me if I transfer the booking to them. I have always made out wonderfully my transfering to the agency. During and prior to final payment my TA has always been able to accommodate and price adjustments, up-grades or category changes. Even after the final payment date, I have been able to up-grade cabins if a price drop occured.

Now, at times (most), I've had to make a higher down payment to get the perks but I have to pay anyway. And, I will incure a cancellation penalty of $50.00 per booking guest. However, when the with had an emergency opperation and the cruise needed to be cancelled, the agency gave me a certificate for the $100.00 OBC if I booked another cruise within 6 months. In fairness I must say this was done because of my pass history with the agency. I also receive a OBC certificate for future bookings each time I cruise with a booking from this agency.

I don't think we are to mention the agency here on the boards, but if anyone is interested to know which agency I use, you can e-mail me and I will reply. Please use a subject line of TA name please, so I won't spam it.

wmcmrbill@comcast.net

I have never had to contact my TA at night, days off or weekends, but after reading the comments here on the board I have e-mailed my TA for answers to those questions. Hope I have help a bit.:o

My TA for my last two cruises did nothing but take my money. I decided to go directly through RCCL for my current booking. I have had to talk to three different Royal Caribbean agents, to make some changes, and they have all been delightful to work with. They went out of their way to make sure my cruise will be perfect.

I have not used a travel agent since the days a paper airline tickets. RCCL has seen me book two cruises and I will be setting up a 3rd soon. I learned my ropes here on Cruise Critic and on my first cruise so when I called RCCL for rate reductions, special needs, dinner reservations they were most accommodating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk