Magic 2/2 review - Fog, FTTF, CHEERS & an 10 month old. whew!

coltsmama

cruise2014228.jpg

cruise2014231.jpg

After playing at the beach for a couple of hours, we are all a little tired from being out in the sun, so we head back to the ship to get some food and put the baby down for a nap.

cruise2014232.jpg

cruise2014233.jpg

cruise2014234.jpg

We got back onboard, and food options were, the grill or pizza, so we got a couple of burgers and french fries with nacho cheese sauce from the grill by the pool, opposite the pizza place. It was surprisingly good. We ate our food and we all headed back to the room for a quick nap.

After a couple of hours, around 6 or so, we got up and headed up to the lido to see if the rest of our party was at what we called "our table" by the pool. Everyone we sailed with had excursions at all of the ports so we didnt really see them much. They were at our spot, so we left the baby with the grandparents and went off for more food. I think that may be our most common activity on this cruise, eating! lol we ate at the buffet tonight and watched sail away from our spot.

We spent the rest of the night just hanging out at our table, eating ice cream. I think they played a movie, though i really cant remember what they played.

around 9 or so, we turned in for the night. Tomorrow was Belize, which meant tendering. We figured that would be quite an experience with a 10 moth old, so we needed to rest up!

cruise2014238.jpg

Thursday - Belize (tender) and 2nd formal night

cruise2014240.jpg

cruise2014241.jpg

We all slept in a bit this morning and went up and had a breakfast at the buffet. We had FTTF and werent exactly sure how the priority tender worked. They were announcing that everyone had to go to deck 5 ocean plaza to get a sticker with a number for the tender. We decided to go ahead and get ours. We headed to deck 5 and for some reason we completely forgot to mention that we were FTTF and we were given number 18, which we all 3 had to place a sticker with that number on our shirts. As soon as we got our sticker, we went to sit down and they called everyone with a 0 number and numbers 15-17. We assumed that 0's were the priority and since we were 18 that it wouldnt matter if we told them we were fttf or not, as we'd be on the next tender no matter what. So we sat down and waited for the next one, it took about half an hour. It takes about half hour each way to tender from the boat to belize and vice versa. I think there were maybe 3 tenders from the looks of it?

cruise2014242.jpg

cruise2014245.jpg

cruise2014246.jpg

Thats the Magic, waaaay off in the distance

cruise2014249.jpg

as we got closer to the port area, the water became increasingly brown and muddy. Not at all like the beautiful aqua that was surrounding the boat :(

I had researched beforehand, and knew there wasnt much for us to do here today, so we planned to get a few souvenirs and spend most of the day on the boat.

cruise2014250.jpg

cruise2014251.jpg

cruise2014252.jpg

cruise2014253.jpg

a side road my husband tried to walk down before I reeled him back in

cruise2014254.jpg

Even the port shopping area was very small in comparison to other ports i'd been to, and there just werent that many options. We headed to Harley Davidson and got us all something and got a couple other small souvenirs. Then we headed back to where the tender had dropped us off. There was a small bar/restaurant called Tenders Bar & Grill or something along those lines, so we headed in there to get a drink and a snack and rest a bit before heading back to the ship. It was HOT out today. Guess we just got used to the cold temps back home!

not sure what to think about this heat!

cruise2014257.jpg

cruise2014259.jpg

We got a couple of beers and some chips and dip. The waitress told us before we ordered it that it wasnt dip like we eat back home. We werent really sure what that meant, but got it anyway. We got a platter of tortilla chips and two bowls, one with ground beef in it and the other with a cold cheese and rotel kind of thing. I didnt eat the beef but the dip was good. Would have been better served hot though.

cruise2014255.jpg

We walked over to the tender area, and were able to walk right on and we were the last people to get on and off we went.

We got back on the ship around 1 or so, and we went to... you guessed it, take a nap for a couple of hours.

After we got up from our nap we met up with the rest of the group at our spot at the table by the pool. We had planned on going to the mdr tonight as i had seen there were thai chicken strips on the menu which i LOVE, but then we realized it was formal night. We had thought it was going to be on Friday, after Cozumel. No one felt like getting dressed up, so off to the buffet it was.

We ate our food and hung out at our spot until bedtime. Again they played a movie and had popcorn at the pool bar, but again i dont remember what it was.

cruise2014264.jpg

Your review is bringing back so many memories! The wife and I were on the Magic in Nov and we already miss it! We can't wait to go back! I'm glad the weather in Roatan cooperated with you all - it was raining the day we went. Can't wait to read more and BTW, your little one is just too adorable! :)

So many great memories. We were on the Magic in Sept With my sisters and husbands. My sisters and I were on the Magic in Sept 2012. I just love that ship!! I am so envious, you there while we all endure this super cold, snowy winter in the Midwest.

beautiful little boy you have.

ColtsMama, You have done a fantastic review!! Love the pictures.. We will be there real soon now. Sure hoping for NO fog in Galveston but it is that time of year!!

I think I see another Magic trip in our future because there are places I still want to see at Roatan!!

WOW!!!!! Thanks for all the pictures of Roatan...the port we missed on our Feb 2nd cruise....looks beautiful.......but don't like that open long pier walk....with no railings....my goofy phobia!!!The other pictures were great also!!!!! Looks.like you had fun!!!!

Thank you all for the kind words about my little guy. Hes a hoot. We had so much fun with him. A lot of people said we should just leave him, which was never an option, but we are so glad we didnt! It was definitely a different kind of vacation, but any vacation where i dont have to cook or clean and its awesome weather is my kinda vacation! :)

The fog was kind of a bummer, but we didnt let it put a damper on things. We like cruising out of Galveston because we can drive (12 hours) and not worry about flights and all the hastle that comes along with that.

Roatan was probably our favorite port, just because the beach was so convenient with the little guy

I would definitely cruise the Magic again. when we first booked it, I was kinda bummed they didn't have a Guys onboard but they had so many food options that I didn't even try everything I had planned on trying. and the decor onboard is just gorgeous. simple and modern. loved it.

Great review. Thanks for sharing. We did a similar itinery just a week before you on the Legend with our 10 month old. WE had the fog (in Tampa) on the return of our trip which was ok for us but many people missed their flights home.

thats why i dont think i could cruise out of a port i couldnt drive to. the stress would drive me nuts. lol.

Friday - Cozumel

cruise2014266.jpg

cruise2014268.jpg

We had been to Cozumel on our cruise in 2011, so we went in knowing what we wanted to do. Today, my husbands parents and brother and nephew tagged along with us.

After our usual breakfast at the buffet (man i love those cheese danishes!), we all head out. The plan today is to catch a cab and go a few miles out and then just walk back towards the port area. Shopping and eating along the way.

cruise2014269.jpg

cruise2014270.jpg

cruise2014271.jpg

cruise2014272.jpg

cruise2014289.jpg

It was super hot, but hes such a good sport!

cruise2014290.jpg

cruise2014294.jpg

We had the taxi drop us off a little ways outside of the port and then started walking back. We shopped and browsed at a few places along the way. The best deals are down the side streets. We never felt unsafe, but it was much hotter down the side streets, as there was no breeze. We stopped to eat at a fairly large outdoor restaurant along the way, but i cant remember what it was called. The food was awful. Last time we were in Cozumel, we got some tacos out of one of the shops along the route and they were amazing, but this food was awful. We got cheese dip that was canned nacho cheese sauce, lukewarm. And just bland weird food. Plus we were hounded by people trying to sell us things the entire meal. Wanting to play music, for tips. Once a lady walked up with a notepad and asked my mother in law for all of our names, which she wrote down, and the lady came back with some small pictures which she wrote our names on and wanted us to buy. No thank you. But, oh well, our bellys were full. You live, you learn.

cruise2014294.jpg

About halfway back down the walk, it was HOT and Colt was getting exhausted. We were keeping him hydrated, sunscreened and covered, but we still didnt want to overdo it.Plus, we were exhausted ourselves. So me and my husband decided to catch a cab back ourselves and meet up with everyone else later. We had bought souvenirs for ourselves and a few people back home, so the only place we had left we wanted to go was the Harley Davidson store. We thought there was one inside the port area, from our last trip, but we passed on while on the taxi ride back to the ship. We didnt want to deal with unloading the baby and stroller and getting a cab and loading up again, so we said just forget it. We got back to the ship and cleaned up a bit and took a nap.

A little while later, we woke up and went to get some food. Today I opted for the Mongolian Wok, which I love, but the lines are usually pretty long so I dont get it much. I only got it this once on this cruise, with the Thai BBQ sauce and it was yummy. I think my husband got pizza. We hung out at "our spot" at the poolside tables and got a few drinks until the rest of our party met up with us.

Leaving Cozumel

cruise2014295.jpg

cruise2014298.jpg

Will you be posting full Fun Times?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I actually posted all of my Fun Times a couple of days after the cruise, so they are a few pages back by now.

this link should go to it:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41646068

Edited by coltsmama