Dressing for dinner...

Bagette

We have an upcoming cruise on Equinox as well and I think we are in the minority, that we do not enjoy dressing formally....nor do we plan to. We both dress up on a regular basis and enjoy being a bit more casual on vacation. We have cruised with other cruise lines in the past and this has not been a problem. This will be our first with Celebrity and we hope that dark, dress pants with a shirt and tie (for my husband) and a dress or dressy capris and blouse will be ok for me.

One thing I have not seen on this forum is requirement for children on formal nights. There is no way that my boys would agree to formal attire and I do not wish to start World War 3 while on vacation. I'm hoping khakis and a nice shirt will do for them.

People will tell you to avoid the MDR and eat somewhere else. However if you decide to go for a specialty restaurant (dress code smart-casual) you will be asked to pay for the privilege and this can become quite expensive for a family particularly if you have 2 or 3 formal nights. Cheaper options are Bistro on 5, the buffet, or room service.

If these ideas are not palatable then by all means give the MDR a shot. Your kids should be fine if they are tidy and presentable (no shorts or t-shirts) but your husband may be given a jacket to carry to the table and drape over the back of his chair (ludicrous, I know).

Good luck.

In the MDR on formal nights, the requirement is for men to wear a jacket. On some cruises, this is enforced; on others not. Technically, children do not have a different dress code than adults. You did not say how old your kids were, but unless they are very young, they should be following the dress code as well. My son has been in a suit or sport coat on his 15+ cruises on Celebrity since he was three years old. To be blunt, it is my opinion that it is up to the parents to tell the kids what the cruise line rules are, including the rules for dining, and to make sure they follow them. If you think there will be push back I would personally recommend the issue be addressed before boarding. But your kids; your cruise. Just know unless they are really young they may be expected to conform to the rules also, and you could all be denied entry to the MDR if not dressed appropriately.

My kids are school-aged. I have never had occasion to buy my boys formal wear and won't be doing it for a cruise. They attend private school, therefore 'dress up' everyday....as does the rest of the family. I'm not sure why how people dress is even an issue....are people really that concerned with how others dress? If people are neatly dressed, clean and conduct themselves appropriately, isn't that enough?

I'm not sure why I need 'luck' to eat in the MDR? Is this not included in the price of the cruise?

Is it snarky to tell the truth? They may or may not get in. The only snarky comments seem to be from someone who says they will do as they please. It sure isn't going to be a problem for people who do as they are supposed to, is it? As I said, the guy making the decision will be at the door.

I'm quite happy for the people that enjoy the formal nights to enjoy them. Who am I to judge how they dress? I think we will just have to agree to disagree on what is 'discourteous'. Would my 'breaking the rules' by not dressing formally have a negative effect on those that choose to do so? I think not. It is a vacation, afterall....time to relax and enjoy and maybe not be so stuck on 'rules'.

I'm quite happy for the people that enjoy the formal nights to enjoy them. Who am I to judge how they dress? I think we will just have to agree to disagree on what is 'discourteous'. Would my 'breaking the rules' by not dressing formally have a negative effect on those that choose to do so? I think not. It is a vacation, afterall....time to relax and enjoy and maybe not be so stuck on 'rules'.

I am in agreement with you. I choose to wear and jacket and tie, but that is my choice.

Do not be intimidated by those who make snarky comments such as, "There are other options for people who do not care to dress for Formal Nights."