My Time Dining; pre-paid gratuities, policy fact and fiction only please

LMaxwell

I have a related question, if anyone might have the answer. I booked a cruise in December on the Oasis. At the time I booked, the "dynamic dining" had been announced, and the only dining option you could pick was "my time dining". I picked that and the gratuities were automatically added to the bill. However, later they switched the dining option you could pick while booking to "dynamic dining" instead of "my time dining". I called back to have the prepaid gratuities removed (because we will have OBC from the credit card points I'd rather use), and was told that dynamic dining requires pre-paid gratuities also. I don't believe that is correct. any experience with this issue?

Of course, right now it's a moot point because with the dynamic dining being pushed back we have reverted back to my time dining. But really hoping that dynamic dining will be place when we sail (it was half the reason we booked the oasis in dec!). wondering if it is worth trying agin if they do set the transition date before we sail.

Thanks!

So can I ask then what the score is if we eat in and serve ourselves every night in the buffet? Can we then (not that we would I hasten to add) ask for our pre-paid MTD gratuities to be reduced or cancelled and then tip whoever and whenever we wish? I am totally confused! :confused:

Being from UK, we're really not that used to tipping, different culture and won't go into the reasons or otherwise here, but I just want to understand what is and what isn't acceptable as far as RCI are concerned. We would much rather tip who we wish and when we wish instead of having to pre-pay gratuities under the MTD scheme. Help!!

Don't forget that the gratuities also cover your room stewart as well as the servers who assist you and bus the tables at breakfast and dinner, including in the WJ. I prefer to think of the gratuities as a service charge and then feel relieved of the need to worry about who to tip at the end.

Don't forget that the gratuities also cover your room stewart as well as the servers who assist you and bus the tables at breakfast and dinner, including in the WJ. I prefer to think of the gratuities as a service charge and then feel relieved of the need to worry about who to tip at the end.

I feel the same way, the gratuities go to several people so I feel it is only right to keep the full amount there and tip extra for anyone you feel deserves it. We gave extra to our waiter, ass't waiter and room steward as well as we felt they went above and beyond.

As for tables in the dining room, if you have MTD, your table is reserved for you, if you aren't going to use it or want to change times for an evening, it is best to notify the dining room so your table can be used for someone else. It helps to eliminate line ups.

What if you have a room fred instead of a room stewart? Would the gratuities cover him as well?

When you get a quote for a cruise on the RCL web site or a travel agent and you ask for MTD is the gratuity part of the quote? Thanks

No...unless you ask, or they tell you...(though some TAs may include them...quotes on Royal's site do not...nor on most TA sites...)

You do realize you dug up a year old thread yes?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

No...unless you ask, or they tell you...(though some TAs may include them...quotes on Royal's site do not...nor on most TA sites...)

You do realize you dug up a year old thread yes?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

I am happy the thread was "dug up" because I found it to be objective and informative :)