RCCL with a 3 year old?

ML81

We're considering our 2nd cruise next year, departing from Stockholm on Serenade of the Seas.

Difference to our 1st cruise is that we now have our daughter who will be 3 next year, and whilst I've been reading on the RCCL website that they have the aquanauts (or whatever it's called), we're of course worrying how she'll be.

I guess we worry that she won't enjoy it, and therefore we won't either.

So I'd really appreciate any experiences of cruising on RCCL with a 3 year old. Or alternatively if there are any better cruise lines that RCCL for that age.

We've already scaled back our expectations on cabin compared to last time when we had a balcony to either and outside or inside cabin. She's turning ina real climber it would seem so we have images of DD trying to clamber up trying to see over edge :eek:

Hi, we are cruising with our 3 year old in 2 months.

He went with us 6 months ago on a 7 day cruise and he did just fine. In fact, he loved it. It was a little hard dropping him of at daycare on board but like any kid, he got used to it. He loved all the food and activities throughout the ship.

Definitely consider rooms other than balconies. We made the mistake of having the balcony with him, and it was a pain. He kept trying to sneak outside. When he was on the balcony with us, he would constantly try to climb to see everything without the glass obstruction. Very dangerous. This time, we booked an interior room. We will miss the balcony though.

Carnival did a daycare introduction type activity the first night. It was to get the kids and staff introduced to each other. It was like a big party. Not sure if RCI does it, but it was a good idea.

We took our son last year on his first cruise - he was also three. He loved the cruise, but it was hit or miss with the kids club. At first, he was a little reluctant because there were no other kids in there (we sailed during off-season, so not many kids onboard). But after he made a few friends, he would always ask to go in if his friends were there. So I agree with PP, attend the first day registration so she can meet other kids. Once she makes friends, you can coordinate drop offs with the other parents :).

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Your daughter is very likely to enjoy the Adventure Ocean Program's activities. She will be having fun and meeting new friends- some parents even miss their kids during a cruise! You may find helpful information on the Family Cruises board here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49. Enjoy the beautiful Serenade! :)

I highly recommend you rethink getting a balcony. Even though it seems scary, the door to the balcony when locked is very difficult to open and I can't see a 3 year old being able to do it and of course, at any time she would have access to the open balcony door you would be there and watchful. She would have to move a lot of stuff and probably pile it up to manage to get high enough to climb or fall over. The balcony railing is up to my arm pits, it would take a lot for me to manage to get up and over!! :)

The advantage of a balcony is that when she is napping you aren't confined to a dark cabin and can sit outside on the balcony and enjoy the day. My daughter who has sailed with babies and small children has tried the indoor cabin and hated it. Used our cabin to put the kids down for naps so she could use our balcony. She has never sailed without a balcony since.

As for activities for three year olds, I think Royal is great.

Our DD has sailed with us since 6 months

When she was about 6 we went on NCL and she hated it and refused to go back. Had no choice but to sail RC thereafter :)although she is a little partial to the pampering of celebrity.:D

Your child will love stuffing their own bear at sea, walking through the ship dressed as a pirate and all the other fun stuff they do.

When our DD was that age we had pagers they gave us in case of a problem (not sure if they still do as she is 12 now!)

They also offer in cabin babysitting as well so there is an option if one night she doesn't want to go NCL didn't offer that so we were stuck the rest of the cruise on an evening.

Just remember that itinerary you would need to go later than start of July for there to be a more significant number of kids on board. Not sure where you live but European schools break up later. (Edit note you are in Denmark!)

I always take my DD on European cruises mid June as it is cheaper but there are normally not a significant number the earlier you sail

RC is a great family line and do a great job looking after and entertaining the little ones. Like I say I would just make sure you are on a sailing date that more children are likely to be on so they have more. Friends to make

Edited by Spurschick
Error

Our DD has been on 13 cruises since 11months and has just started going to "the bid kids toy room" as she calls it. The kids program for our newly 3yo was just as good as the nursery was before she was 3. This was on the Liberty but I've read similar experiences. We were given a phone when we dropped her off so they could call if anything happened. They are real strick on potty. Must be fully potty trained including going without being told. This was a bit of an issue for us but we took her before and after. They will be in the room as up to 5 year olds but our DD loved the crafts they did. There were movies most nights and for us the only time we were called was when she fell asleep during a movie woke up and didn't know where she was.

So happy we don't have to pay anymore for daycare and she can do stuff like crafts and games.

Next cruise later this week and already I've been hearing about the big kids toy room and ice cream by the pool.

Our son went on a 7 day trip at 18 mo and another at 3 yo. He absolutely loved them both

(though he no longer remembers the first) and can't wait till our next trip. We didn't use the kids club services due to family onboard but it seemed liked a fun place. And the treatment of him by the staff was so kind and wonderful. It is a less carefree trip than without kids but super fun all the same.