What happened to the beverage packages?! (No more soda only!)

Sorry if there's a thread on this but I didn't see one in the first few pages of the RCI page here, and search is apparently turned off now.

We just had a friend disembark Explorer a few days ago...they embarked and them went to order the standard soda package (Freestyle and bar fountain service) package that we've always ordered before and were subsequently told that it was no longer available. The sheet below was provided to all guests and these are now apparently the ONLY options is the "Royal Replenish" plan at $20/Day per guest as per the attached image.

They spoke to MANY people at both guest relations as well as managers (being dumbfounded about this change) and this was confirmed across all levels of staff - the regular $6/day (or whatever it was, I always forget) soda package that included bar fountain soda as well as Freestyle access is no more replaced by an overpriced $20/day plan??!

Our other cruising friends leave on Grandeur this coming weekend and immediately (after hearing this) went to the RCI site and ordered the old beverage package online (it still shows there) instead of buying after embarkation like usual....but I'm wondering if even that option is going to go away by the time we ourselves cruise again next December.

1493482820_IMG_0916(1).jpg.87381fff7f550f89957cb5da437164a3.jpg

Edited by Oshawapilot

I hope that's not the case I just bought the cheaper soda package for our cruise that leaves Saturday.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm guessing if you order online you're still good, but for those who don't buy ahead of time and want to buy upon embarkation it looks like you're now railed into a massive expensive plan even if you only want soda.

Eh, I have a feeling somebody missed a trick somewhere. I just got the soda package on Serenade a few weeks ago with no trouble.

Maybe we can get some more folks in here to verify on this?

You are right that the "Royal Refreshment" (soda package) is still available online. Just verified that a moment ago.

That's odd that the soda mug is not included with the Replenish package. That would mean the Replenish package would not be able to use the Freestyle Machines.:confused:

I caught that, although my source for the images I attached said there's an asterisk or something that indicates it WAS included...so Freestyle access was maintained.

That's what first struck me as odd as well...

It's all very confusing.

We've all talked amongst ourselves about it for a few days now and they DID talk to a bunch of people onboard and were given the same story repeatedly - "No soda only package available", and then given this sheet with the $20/Day Royal Replenish being the only/cheapest option that included soda.

Would be nice to hear from someone onboard Ex right now as to their experience, since it's still on it's current sailing after our friends disembarked.

I fully expected to see a 100 page thread here on the issue but was surprised to find nothing. I'm still left wondering if they somehow managed to hit a grand-slam of clueless/misinformed employees on board who didn't know about the "basic" soda package, but from what they've said it seems logistically impossible as they talked to too many different people and got the same story from all of them.

The weirdest part is that on the RCI site the standard soda package remains, so I'm left wondering if this is indeed a bait and switch situation. "Oh, you waited until you were onboard to try to get the cheapie package? Yeah, not so much - $20/day or nothing now!".

Edited by Oshawapilot

Just for kicks and giggles, I pulled up our RSVP (30 days, whoohooo!) and was able to buy the basic package. There better be a soda cup waiting, since I paid in advance, instead of using OBC. :p THEN, I thought "Heck, while I am at it, I should get the birthday decorations for kid room." (MY DD 18 on embarkation day) and......um, nothing, no link to click. :rolleyes: Yepper, they pretty much have the worst customer service website :eek:EVER!!!! ;) But in 30 days I will not be enjoying their computers, will I? Hurry up April!!!!:)

We are sailing on Grandeur this Saturday. The pre-cruise email I received only offered me 4 options for Beverage Pkgs, with the cheapest one being the "Replenish". The email indicated in the fine print that it did indeed include the souvenir cup (I would assume as always the one used for Freestyle). Upon hearing about our friends not being able to purchase just a Soda Pkg on Explorer last week, just to be safe I pre-purchased Soda Pkgs from the RC website and received confirmation of the transaction. That goes to show that Soda only Pkg can be purchased prior to sailing . I'll be interested to see if Soda only is being sold once we embark.

We are sailing on Grandeur this Saturday. The pre-cruise email I received only offered me 4 options for Beverage Pkgs, with the cheapest one being the "Replenish".

THIS is concerning.

I just checked our reservation for next December and "Royal Refresh" is still available, but one must wonder if it's about to go away.

Thanks for posting. We were planning to use OBC to pay for DH's and wanted to get the cheapest package. Just booked the cheapie online since it sounds like it may not be available once onboard.

That may be a very wise decision for anyone sailing soon to do. Heck, at this point I think I'm going to prepay our beverage packages for our December cruise....298 days from embarkation. I do NOT want to get stuck being forced into $400 worth of beverage packages just to get a soda option. I would personally use the other perks as well, but nowhere NEAR enough to justify the added cost. :rolleyes:

I don't know Mark, but they know full well something like that will start a firestorm of complaints. A good many of them from here.

Let's hope someone got stupid once and the issue is resolved already and we just don't know it. I'm still going to double check with C&A on Friday though. Their answers are usually accurate.

Let's hope someone got stupid once and the issue is resolved already and we just don't know it. I'm still going to double check with C&A on Friday though. Their answers are usually accurate.

Here's to hoping. We usually use our stateroom credit towards our soda package once onboard, but if this is something they're trying to now slip in, we'll be prepaying from now on.

So it sounds like if you want a soda package, you should book it online. Not a big deal really.

:rolleyes: Unless it is YOU expecting to be able to buy the package once on board and it is not available.....it would be a kick in the budget backside, expecting to pay $40 and then finding out it would really be $100 MORE:eek::mad:

I wonder if they are testing it. IF they switch, I hope they make the regular (soda only) at least a pre-board option made know and available to all.

:rolleyes: Unless it is YOU expecting to be able to buy the package once on board and it is not available.....it would be a kick in the budget backside, expecting to pay $40 and then finding out it would really be $100 MORE:eek::mad:

I wonder if they are testing it. IF they switch, I hope they make the regular (soda only) at least a pre-board option made know and available to all.

I don't think this is going to be a huge issue. People that get that mad so easily, probably are not the type to want to spend their vacation time standing in lines and filling out paperwork aboard, and are going to take care of their plans ahead of time.

I think it's the more easy-going people that don't mind doing things at the last minute, or waiting in line for a few minutes that are going to wait until they board to take care of their drink packages, and if they're easy-going they're going to enjoy their vacation no matter what and not get upset over the inevitable polcy changes that occur from time to time.

I don't think this is going to be a huge issue. People that get that mad so easily, probably are not the type to want to spend their vacation time standing in lines and filling out paperwork aboard, and are going to take care of their plans ahead of time.

I think it's the more easy-going people that don't mind doing things at the last minute, or waiting in line for a few minutes that are going to wait until they board to take care of their drink packages, and if they're easy-going they're going to enjoy their vacation no matter what and not get upset over the inevitable polcy changes that occur from time to time.

So if you boarded for your 10 night cruise expecting to pay $60 and then suddenly were told you had to pay $200 instead, YOU wouldn't be upset? Especially if it was done all sneaky-like so you didn't know you weren't going to have the option of just paying the $60 on the ship versus online before boarding?

You must be joking if you're suggesting that this won't royally irritate the bejesus out of people. Nothing like getting your cruise off on a bad foot by being screwed out of an extra $140 15 minutes after boarding!

It sounds like that's more or less exactly what happened to our friends. Left with no apparent option if they wanted ANYTHING soda-wise (without being hosed into paying for every individual soda) they simply purchased 1 plan, but that one plan cost them more than what the 2 regular soda plans they intended to buy onboard would have cost them.

Edited by Oshawapilot