Help planning

4wheeltravel

We are a family of 6 (kids are 12,12,15,15 - our kids plus their friends). Right now we are booked on a cruise leaving miami port march 31-april5. We plan to fly into either flort lauderdale or miami on sat march 29. Right now cheaper flights are to FLL. We will rent a car and park it at the port bc it seems cheaper that way - we need a car anyway for sat-mon and with transportation always x 6 - i think we would come out better with a car (even though have to park it at the port for $20/day).

So question - where should we stay? Do we stay in fort lauderdale area? if so, would like a beach. Would we be better to head to miami? Can't afford SOBE bc cost my first born.

Without knowing much about the area (only been to SOBE once and loved it), any ideas? Would like to keep hotel less than $400/night.

We are a family of 6 (kids are 12,12,15,15 - our kids plus their friends). Right now we are booked on a cruise leaving miami port march 31-april5. We plan to fly into either flort lauderdale or miami on sat march 29. Right now cheaper flights are to FLL. We will rent a car and park it at the port bc it seems cheaper that way - we need a car anyway for sat-mon and with transportation always x 6 - i think we would come out better with a car (even though have to park it at the port for $20/day).

So question - where should we stay? Do we stay in fort lauderdale area? if so, would like a beach. Would we be better to head to miami? Can't afford SOBE bc cost my first born.

Without knowing much about the area (only been to SOBE once and loved it), any ideas? Would like to keep hotel less than $400/night.

Question: why keep the rental car and park at the port? Why not return at an office near the port, then pick up another car upon your return?

For accommodation, I would probably be looking at something in between FLL and Miami - Hollywood area. Something with a 2-bed suite maybe, or connecting rooms somewhere.

Don't keep the car while you are on the cruise. You will be paying to park and paying for the car.

Fly into Fort Lauderdale and stay here. Look at the Bahia Mar and Courtyard Marriott FLL Beach.

Also, take a look at hotwire.

Don't stay on 17th Street no matter how many people tell you how wonderful it is. It is a highly industrial area.

I was planning to keep the car to avoid a hassel. We can get a minivan for $350 for the week (sat to sat) - add $20/day to park it and we are at $450. That same car for sat -mon is $130 returning to the same location. If we then need a ride to the port $15x6 = $90.00 plus tip - $110.00. then we need a ride back from port to airport - $110 so total cost is $350.00. So it would cost me $100 extra to keep the car but i dont have the hassel of returning it and unloading all our junk to get on a taxi van then do all over again when we get off. Now if there is a car return place near the port maybe that would make sense to return it and then just shuttle to the airport when we get back? I was simply trying to find the less hassel way of doing things since i have so many people :) and from exprience less hassel means less grumpy people!

Your thoughts are appreciated and i will look into the areas mentioned for hotel.

Rent the car one-way from FLL to Miami -- Hertz, Avis and others have downtown locations close to POM and National/Alamo/Thrifty offers free POM shutlte service from their MIA airport location. Post cruise rent one-way from Miami to FLL; saving the shuttle fee each way makes renting one-way a no-brainer.

I agree with Blue Heron's suggestions to stay in the FLL area - nice beach, cheaper hotels, and the place is just more family friendly than Miami. Good luck! :)

I was planning to keep the car to avoid a hassel. We can get a minivan for $350 for the week (sat to sat) - add $20/day to park it and we are at $450. That same car for sat -mon is $130 returning to the same location. If we then need a ride to the port $15x6 = $90.00 plus tip - $110.00. then we need a ride back from port to airport - $110 so total cost is $350.00. So it would cost me $100 extra to keep the car but i dont have the hassel of returning it and unloading all our junk to get on a taxi van then do all over again when we get off. Now if there is a car return place near the port maybe that would make sense to return it and then just shuttle to the airport when we get back? I was simply trying to find the less hassel way of doing things since i have so many people :) and from exprience less hassel means less grumpy people!

Your thoughts are appreciated and i will look into the areas mentioned for hotel.

Fly into FLL on Saturday, rent a 7 passenger mini-van from Alamo and return it to MIA on Monday for a total of $115.36. On Monday drop the family and all the luggage at the POM first, then return the van to the rental car facility at MIA and ride the free shuttle back to the POM.

I'm not sure what day you fly back after the cruise, but you could do the reverse with the rental van, hire a limo company or do a shared shuttle.