Cigarette purchase

Yes you can purchase cigs and cigars on board... The price on cigs is good, as they are "duty free"... If I recall right that equaled out to about $18.50 per carton... As for cigars I cannot qoute a price, because I usually don't purchase them, but you can get Cuban cigars in most ports of call, you just can't bring them back into the US...

Can anyone tell me if I can purchase cigarettes on board and the cost.

No problem buying cigarettes, just had a problem buying a lighter or finding matches.

Cuban cigars are illegal for Americans to purchase. Doesn't matter if you plan on smoking them or giving them away. There can be a fine of $250,000. just for purchasing them. Also, some ships do not let you have the cigs you buy onboard until the night before you disembark so check that out with the ship if you had planned on buying and smoking onboard.

• 1 month later...

You can bring back 1 carton duty free unless you traveled to the US Virgin Islands and then you can bring back more.I'm not sure how many.the airlines are not allowing lighters on airplanes anymore.My daughter had a couple of Bics confiscated.Some of the port have a better variety and are reasonable.

Cuban cigars are illegal for Americans to purchase. Doesn't matter if you plan on smoking them or giving them away. There can be a fine of $250,000. just for purchasing them. Also, some ships do not let you have the cigs you buy onboard until the night before you disembark so check that out with the ship if you had planned on buying and smoking onboard.

True on the cubans. Technically illegal to purchase anywhere/anytime for US citizens. Can't even bring them back on the ship although many did.

There's a nice cigar shop and cigar lounge on Explorer but honestly, better selections in port.

Untrue on the cigs. On Explorer you can buy them right on the promenade and take them with you. I bought a five carton bundle for 79 bucks. Customs will only allow one carton per person to bring back so smoke em up on board or share with friends like it did.

I don't know that this is the case. As long as you don't bring them back into the US, I believe you can purchase them. On most of the crusies I have been on, the shopping guides have even promoted the purchase of Cuban cigars mentioning that they must be consumed prior to arriving back in the U.S. Not an expert on the subject so I could be wrong.

I don't know that this is the case. As long as you don't bring them back into the US, I believe you can purchase them. On most of the crusies I have been on, the shopping guides have even promoted the purchase of Cuban cigars mentioning that they must be consumed prior to arriving back in the U.S. Not an expert on the subject so I could be wrong.

Doesn't really matter what the shopping guides say. The shopping guides given on the ship are paying advertisers so don't necessarily assume that they're giving you the straight scoop. They're trying to sell cigars. US citizens are forbidden from buying anything from Cuba regardless of location. Tough to enforce, I know.

Even the ship will sell you as many cigs and booze that you can afford but that doesn't mean you can bring it all back in duty free. They don't sell cuban cigars on the ship since they can't have them in US territory at all.

Although customs in Port of Miami is relatively lax at searching, they do run dogs through baggage while still on the ship and they certainly can smell tobacco hidden in luggage.

On the Serenade a couple of weeks ago, I ran out of matches -- left the lighter at home because of airlines. The bars did not have any, but the waitress had a light. I asked,"What gives with no matches?" She said, "We don't want to promote smoking --you can't find matches or lighters on board." What a laugh -- then why sell cigarettes and cigars? I went to the cigarette/cigar section of the ship store and found a bic. (I had actually paid 4 bucks in port for one, but it didn't work) I rather felt that the waitress should have known I could get a bic in the ship store, as should the others I asked at various bars.

I am a 3-5 a day person -- never smoke in my cabin -- but enjoy one after a meal, or with a drink. I did find matches available on X in Europe -- don't know what X's policy is for US sailings.

Our customs letter said you couldn't bring back more than one carton of cigs per person (duty or no duty). They would be confiscated, thrown away, and you would be fined. This was a week ago. Always pack the lighters in your checked luggage. They WILL take them at the airport (if they find them-they searched my purse and found one of two).

Our customs letter said you couldn't bring back more than one carton of cigs per person (duty or no duty). They would be confiscated, thrown away, and you would be fined. This was a week ago. Always pack the lighters in your checked luggage. They WILL take them at the airport (if they find them-they searched my purse and found one of two).

I picked up a few extra lighters in Miami before boarding as I know that they're scarce on the ship so always had one available. All of the bartenders have at least one at the bar but they're very protective of them and matches are almost non-existent.

Archived