Istanbul hotel - Hyatt or Marriott?

We need a hotel for 1 night pre-cruise. I have points with both Marriott and Hyatt and I see that they both have hotels in Istanbul. Are any of them close to sights that would be walkable or am I better off booking something independent?

Edited by Larainerenee

We have never been big fans of staying at western chain hotels when in this part of the world but so be it. The hotels of both those chains are not in the main tourist site area. However, Istanbul has a pretty decent public transit system (and reasonable taxis if you do not let them rip you off) so perhaps that is not such a big issue. If you are determined to live with those chains, then just look for the best deal. Not sure any of their properties rate very high on Tripadvisor or similar sites. If you want a Western Chain in Istanbul we would be looking at the Four Seasons properties but we realize this is not one of your options. The Grand Hyatt gets some pretty decent ratings, but again, this is not in the neighborhood where you are going to be touring.

Hank

Try to find a hotel in the Sultanahmet area (close to the historical sites).

We stayed at the Hotel Lausos for less than 90 Euros per night (for staying three nights or longer). Rooms were small, but breakfast was wonderful and free. Also, staff was great.

We need a hotel for 1 night pre-cruise. I have points with both Marriott and Hyatt and I see that they both have hotels in Istanbul. Are any of them close to sights that would be walkable or am I better off booking something independent?

Most people want to see the sights in the old part of Istanbul, called Sultanahmet. These hotels are in the modern area. While it's not that difficult to go back and forth, I'd recommend (since you are only staying one night) that you look for a hotel in Sultanahmet.

It's not that the modern area isn't nice -- it is, and has lots going on at night. But in terms of the "iconic" Istanbul (Haghia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi, etc.), that's all in Sultanahmet.

I was curious because I have points and can stay for free, if the area makes sense for touring.

It simply comes down to personal preference and a little inconvenience. Most of the major tourist attractions are located in a part of Istanbul that does not have a lot of decent hotels. It is also a neighborhood not well known for great restaurants. So most of the newer hotels (and even some of the top older hotels like the Cirragan Palace) are located in different parts of town. As is typical of both Hyatt and Marriott, they tend to build their new hotels in the newer more modern parts of town in locations that are great for business visitors. For the tourist, it only mean you have to take advantage of the local transportation which in Istanbul is pretty good but not popular with some tourists. In that case you either do a lot of walking or simply grab a taxi.

Hank

The two times I've been to Istanbul we stayed at Hotel Darussaade and the White House Hotel - both truly excellent in terms of value, comfort and staff. Check out the reviews on Trip Advisor.

• 4 weeks later...

We liked the Armada in Sultanahmet - close walking distance to the main sights. Small room but comfortable and quiet. Fabulous rooftop restaurant and probably one of the best breakfast buffets we've ever enjoyed.:) http://www.armadahotel.com.tr/pg_en/ Be sure to visit the Cistern while in Istanbul, and The Pudding Shop, right across the street (famous for where Bill Clinton ate when he visited the city!) has great food.

I respectfully disagree with a couple of the posters. We have stayed at the Hyatt, Swiss Hotel and will be staying at the Renaissance soon. You can easily catch the HOHO bus and see Istanbul. We, too, use points.

Let me say that we are in our 70's however very active, so if you are in your 30's or whatever, then choose your hotel based on where you want to walk. "close, or nearby" isn't always the answer. Istanbul is easy to see.

Try the Galata Tower for a dinner where they put flags on your table representing the country from which you come. Wonderful experience and beautiful view.