Going between ships in S'outon

Jimsgirl

I am considering booking for 2015, taking QV east Transatlantic, changing to QM2 at S'outon for Transatlantic west back to NY.

I am sure this has been done by others, please can you advise me, if Cunard offer any assistance to passengers of "mature years" who have limited walking . I also wonder re the "checked luggage"

Any hints or advice will be appreciated.

Thank you

In a couple of months we are taking QM2 for a NY to Southampton crossing then transferring to QV for the cruise around Britain. On return to Southampton we then transfer back to QM2 for our return to NY. I have been told by members of this blog as well as Cunard directly that our luggage will be transferred between ships for us.

I have been told by members of this blog as well as Cunard directly that our luggage will be transferred between ships for us.

This sounds good, but occasionally accidents happen, so watch it every step of the way if you can.

I suspect you will be responsible for identifying your own cases and taking them through customs yourself. That seems to be a requirement, that passenger be attached to case at the point of entry to a country.

That seems to be a requirement, that passenger be attached to case at the point of entry to a country.

When we did a similar transfer a few years ago (in New York) we were given 'in-transit' labels for the cases. We put them outside the cabin as usual on the last night, and they were waiting for us in the new cabin on the new ship when we boarded the next day. They were transferred in 'bond', so technically they never entered the country. It's the same thing as happens sometimes when luggage is transferred directly from plane to ship, or vise-versa, in a sealed truck.

They don't always do this, I'm just saying it's another possibility.

I'm sure you won't be able to board QM2 until boarding starts at 12:00 or whenever, so you can either wait in one of the lounges on QV, do your own thing in Southampton, or take a shore excursion. They used to offer a free excursion to in-transit passengers (they really want you out of the way) but that's probably a thing of the past.

Regards, Colin.

Thank you Colin, interesting that you did not have o claim your luggage.

I have friends who will be joining QV on the same day as I am leaving her, they will be spending the night in S'outon, and have suggested that we meet up for lunch in town. which I think is a really wonderful idea. Not having to worry over my luggage would be a great relief.

The two B2B cruises are at an interesting time for Cunard, My agent has put a hold on cabins, I do not like the choice but it may be that the ship is selling ot fast.

Thanks again for your input, I really wanted to know from a past passenger, as I do not trust "Nellie at the front desk ashore at Cunard" often they have know idea of the logistics, and even worse have NEVER CRUISED

Lynn

When we did a similar transfer a few years ago (in New York) we were given 'in-transit' labels for the cases. We put them outside the cabin as usual on the last night, and they were waiting for us in the new cabin on the new ship when we boarded the next day. They were transferred in 'bond', so technically they never entered the country. It's the same thing as happens sometimes when luggage is transferred directly from plane to ship, or vise-versa, in a sealed truck.

They don't always do this, I'm just saying it's another possibility.

That's great news, Colin, to know that it can even be done at all.

My daughter and I went to Soton from NYC on the last TA of the QE2 and then transferred to the QM2 to come back and Cunard arranged for the transfer of our luggage to the ship.

Cunard also sent us on a free tour before time to board the QM2.

Two years ago my husband and I took QM2 transatlantic, switched to the QE for a Baltic cruise and then switched back again to the QM2 back to New York. It was no problem at all. The bags were taken to the other ship each time and we spent the time going on a tour. The tour bus took us to the "new" ship. They were Cunard tours and they seemed to be used to going to whatever ship you wanted.

A few years ago we also took the QM 2 transatlantic and changed to a Princess ship that was in port at the same time. Now that time we did have to take our bags through customs and take a cab to the Princess ship.

We just did a back to back transatlantic trip in January. QM2 over and QE back.

We put special colored tabs on our bags the night before we arrived in Soton.

Our bags were collected and once we docked we left on a tour of StoneHenge. When we came back the tour bus let us off at the QE, we boarded and our bags were in our room.

Couldn't have been easier.

We just did a back to back transatlantic trip in January. QM2 over and QE back.

We put special colored tabs on our bags the night before we arrived in Soton.

Our bags were collected and once we docked we left on a tour of StoneHenge. When we came back the tour bus let us off at the QE, we boarded and our bags were in our room.

Couldn't have been easier.

That sounded so easy.

Was the tour one you had to book in advance or was it "provided for in transit guests"?

Did you take carry on bags with you on the bus , or in a compartment on the bus?

I have done a number of B2B2B, but never had to change ships before, usually on a B2B2B I simply stay on board, with nothing to do, except wash my hair,and do laundry in my cabin.

The way this tour worked, they had guests who were were staying on QM2 and guests changing ships.

The bus picked us up, went to the QE and picked up people and then went to Stonehenge.

Then on the return it dropped people off at QM2 and then at QE so it worked for all options on both ships. We had small carry on's but just what we wanted to take on the tour with us and what we didn't want to pack in our luggage.

Worked very well except there was road construction around the quay, and there was an accident when we were coming back so it took quite a while for the bus to get to the ships, but that was a unique situation, at least I hope it was.

My elderly parents have done ship transfers at Southampton on a couple of occasions and they simply put their bags out with a certain coloured tag in the usual way before midnight and they were waiting in their new cabin on the next Cunard ship after they embarked the next day. We are British nationals all resident here but I can't think that immigration issues would change that procedure for the bags for you as US domiciled/resident.

Cunard is always so helpful. Except when you ask for the clotted cream!
Or a complimentary up-grade from an inside to a Q1. No matter how many times I ask, I find that request is always ignored :mad: . ;) Edited by pepperrn

Or a complimentary up-grade from an inside to a Q1. No matter how many times I ask, I find that request is always ignored :mad: . ;)

Me too! They never upgrade me from my ID inside steerage cabin to the to the Penthouse.

Very mean of them,- I will have to go to the Pursers desk and complain !.

Lynn

Me too! They never upgrade me from my ID inside steerage cabin to the to the Penthouse. Very mean of them,- I will have to go to the Pursers desk and complain !. Lynn
Hi Lynn,

Well, at the moment I'm in a QM2 Britannia grade balcony cabin in a little over seven weeks, however I'll ask politely again (ie demand ;) ) a free up-grade to a Q1 (or Q2, I'm not choosy, Cunard :) ), I'll let you know how I get on at the purser's desk ! :D (but please don't hold your breath!)

Edited by pepperrn