New Orleans departure

bluejay555

This is the only port I have ever cruised from. Love going down the Mississippi! Just thinking back though, 3 times out of 5 we had delays/problems. Once, the river was at flood stage and the ship couldn't fit under the power lines and we had to get shuttled to and depart from Gulfport, MS. I heard that the power lines were changed somehow and that can't happen anymore. OK great. Another time, the river was closed due to a tropical storm being in the gulf and we couldn't leave until the next morning. Yet another time, we woke up on our first sea day still on the river. We were told the pilot didn't show up on time so we had to stop and wait. 3 out of 5 times there have been troubles! And let me tell you, I'm not complaining, because spending that first sea day watching the ship leave the Mississippi and enter the gulf is spectacular. Just a really cool experience! (this is supposed to happen in the wee hours while we're all sleeping). So my question is... how often does this happen? How many of you have had some sort of delay or problem leaving NO? I imagine it's not an easy port to navigate, with 8 hours of a twisting and turning narrow river!

Edited by bluejay555

We have Cruised out of NOLA 3 times & cruised to NOLA(as an actual port of call) twice & have never had a delay. I would like to see the ship leaving the river during the day!! That would be cool!!

We are sailing on Sunshine in 4 weeks out of NOLA...Hopefully no delays then either!!

I agree that would be nice, so how can we manage that?? Can we get them to unload the previous cruisers early early in the morning say about 1 or 2 am then we could cruise down in the daylight..Hmmmm:rolleyes:

Fat chance of that happening..;)

We were late on the Conquest last year, the ship did not get moving until during early dinner. There was no official word on why, but they were late getting up the river due to some nasty storms and it looked like they were still loading at around 5:30. I noticed they waited until right before they let the ropes go to disconnect the potable water that they were taking on. We had late seating and were just passing Belle Chasse when we sat down (usually early seating is further down river, near the bend at port sulphur, LA).

Maybe the water was the reason.

Those power lines you mentioned were relocated after 2006.

never had a problem leaving NOLA... however on our last cruise on the Elation in October 2013, we couldn't get back into NOLA due to the river being closed from a tropical storm... but we spent an extra two nights on the ship and an extra afternoon/evening exploring NOLA, so it was good for us!

We have Cruised out of NOLA 3 times & cruised to NOLA(as an actual port of call) twice & have never had a delay. I would like to see the ship leaving the river during the day!! That would be cool!!

We are sailing on Sunshine in 4 weeks out of NOLA...Hopefully no delays then either!!

Ditto