When to book....

Playa Cofi

I am an expat living in PR and am entertaining taking a cruise, I am 55 and married. Hubby is 70 and has no desire to go. Hence I would be going solo out of San Juan and this would also be my first cruise.

In order to be prudent do you think it would be better if I picked the cruise or for that matter cruises I am interested in and wait till a few days prior to the cruise to see if they offer a better deal on the solo price?

My thinking if the first one does not give me a deal, I can always try the next.

Thoughts anyone?

I am an expat living in PR and am entertaining taking a cruise, I am 55 and married. Hubby is 70 and has no desire to go. Hence I would be going solo out of San Juan and this would also be my first cruise.

In order to be prudent do you think it would be better if I picked the cruise or for that matter cruises I am interested in and wait till a few days prior to the cruise to see if they offer a better deal on the solo price?

My thinking if the first one does not give me a deal, I can always try the next.

Thoughts anyone?

One idea would be to check a few weeks before. You are at an advantage as of course you will not need airfare. I did this for a NYC cruise and got a good solo rate one time.

What ships are you looking at? I like the route that Liberty Of the Seas is taking.

Sometimes, on NCL, once you book a cruise if the price goes down you can get an upgrade for the difference from what you paid and the current rates.

I would focus on the total price of the cruise - which may well increase or decrease at the last minute - but I wouldn't worry about so-called "solo" pricing as I believe that is a "false god."

In my experience the best deals are about 2 - 3 weeks prior to sailing. After that prices may actually go up. But, as always, your mileage may vary. :-)