Breakaway - March 2nd - Deluxe Owners Suite review

socrdad

Love the self guided cabin crawl. Lol did you take any photos?

-Ginger

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ginger, Unfortunately we had packed the camera so we did not get any pictures. I am not sure pictures would have done any good because most of the rooms were annihilated, it may have scared people away from cruising:eek:. We really felt sorry for the cabin stewards. It amazed us with how fast they are able to turn around the rooms. Turn around day (departure and arrival) has got to be a day that the crew just dreads.

Does anyone know if the bed can be split into 2 twins?

Thanks

Cathy

Cathy,

The bed is a king bed and I believe the only way they can turn it into twin beds is to take the king bed out and replace it with twin beds. I do not believe it is like the beds in other cabins that can be split in two. I would check with the pre-sailing concierge and try and make arrangements before sailing, if already booked. There is the sofa bed in the living room that can be used as a bed also.

Cathy,

The bed is a king bed and I believe the only way they can turn it into twin beds is to take the king bed out and replace it with twin beds. I do not believe it is like the beds in other cabins that can be split in two. I would check with the pre-sailing concierge and try and make arrangements before sailing, if already booked. There is the sofa bed in the living room that can be used as a bed also.

I wouldn't think so either. Plus you have the side night stands that seemed pretty well permanent on both sides of the king so that wouldn't allow for a separation as best as I could tell.

The living room bed didn't seem too bad as far as comfort.

dexddd,

We enjoyed all of the Haven staff as well, everyone was so nice. Fernando was one of the happiest people we have ever encountered on an NCL cruise. He always had a big smile on his face and was always cheerful. He was not always the easiest to understand but was a pleasure to talk to. I certainly hope we have the pleasure of having him as our butler on a future cruise.

I think I am going to have to track down a dvd or a book to find out how to make the towel animals. It would be a riot to have all the towels in the cabin decorated into animals the first time the cabin steward comes into the room:D.

We did have a few issues with the thin removable wall between our room and the Owners suite as well. As you said it is a bad design. I am not sure what else they would be able to use if they still want to be able to remove the barrier between the rooms for people that want to rent them both and create a monster suite.

I am glad the balcony door was added right after our cruise and we did not have to deal with it:). As you say it looks like it is useless and it really does not seem to do anything. The only thing I can think of is it may somehow cut down on the wind in the front area so they would not have to tie the furniture down when sailing. Did they still have all the furniture tied up when you were sailing as they did on our trip?

I hope you had a fantastic cruise!!

We were in your cabin right after you :) The March 9th sailing. They installed the door about halfway through the trip, they were careful to work around our schedule, so they didn't interrupt us at all and did the work while we were out. They gave us 3 bottles of wine for the trouble.

I don't understand the need for the door either, it was kind of interesting to see the deck both ways.

We had a good trip, and loved the suite. The Breakaway is not my favourite ship, but we still had an excellent time and were very well pampered :)

Thanks for the great review and pictures, funny they were still cleaning the carpet again when we arrived!

Thanks for that info. socrdad and dexddd. Have booked and taking my niece but trying to convince her mother and my daughter to join us. Since we're all family we can "double up". Not sure I want to spring for adjoining cabin :-)

Cathy

Edited by osubuckeyemom
add names of those who answered

We were in your cabin right after you :) The March 9th sailing. They installed the door about halfway through the trip, they were careful to work around our schedule, so they didn't interrupt us at all and did the work while we were out. They gave us 3 bottles of wine for the trouble.

I don't understand the need for the door either, it was kind of interesting to see the deck both ways.

We had a good trip, and loved the suite. The Breakaway is not my favourite ship, but we still had an excellent time and were very well pampered :)

Thanks for the great review and pictures, funny they were still cleaning the carpet again when we arrived!

SuiteCruiser, Good to hear from you and get the timeline in place as you were in the suite after us and before dexddd. Did they give you a reason for putting the door in? Since you were able to sail with the balcony door in place and without the door in place, did putting the door in have much of an effect to the balcony in your mind (make it feel or look completely different or not much difference)? Did they give you an explanation as to why they were cleaning the carpet? Hopefully you did not have any problems with little glass shards still left in the carpet. We never went barefoot in the suite after the damage and we were still picking out the glass shards up to the morning we departed.

Glad to hear you had a excellent time and loved the suite. Norwegian certainly knows how to pamper their suite guests:D. The suite is certainly a beautiful way to cruise for 7 days!

SuiteCruiser, Good to hear from you and get the timeline in place as you were in the suite after us and before dexddd. Did they give you a reason for putting the door in? Since you were able to sail with the balcony door in place and without the door in place, did putting the door in have much of an effect to the balcony in your mind (make it feel or look completely different or not much difference)? Did they give you an explanation as to why they were cleaning the carpet? Hopefully you did not have any problems with little glass shards still left in the carpet. We never went barefoot in the suite after the damage and we were still picking out the glass shards up to the morning we departed.

Glad to hear you had a excellent time and loved the suite. Norwegian certainly knows how to pamper their suite guests:D. The suite is certainly a beautiful way to cruise for 7 days!

We walked around barefoot enough and didn't have any problems. Even though they cleaned it again after your trip I'd say it looked pretty much like your pictures (maybe a bit better) when we were on. At first I thought it was maybe wing sauce like I said earlier because that is the color it looked. Pretty sure it wasn't blood when we looked at it though and then you gave the real culprit.

I saw one lady talking to the butler about the stains on her carpet (she was a few doors down close to one of the doors going into the pool area) and wanted the stains cleaned. Later in the day someone was trying to clean it up as they had the door opened - their stains were close to the door but the coloring looked the same so thinking it was also the M&Ms.

I'm barefoot all of the time unless out of the cabin and never had any issue, I'm glad I didn't know about the glass shards :) I did notice the stains still on the carpet, but it wasn't a big deal.

For the door, the builder is who insisted on putting it in, must be as a windbreak of some sort, but it seemed strange having it there. Ruth said they already had to fix the one on the Getaway, so she didn't understand why they needed to put it in. I preferred the wide open expanse of the deck for sure, but when there were done with it, it looked like it had always been there. We did open it wide and thought the way it was hung that if the wind took it, it would smash the window behind it. It was fine opened slowly, but I wouldn't want to be there if it unlatched and came swinging back at the window.

Thanks for that info. socrdad and dexddd. Have booked and taking my niece but trying to convince her mother and my daughter to join us. Since we're all family we can "double up". Not sure I want to spring for adjoining cabin :-)

Cathy

Cathy, It is very exciting that you have booked the suite, I am sure you are going to have a fabulous time. In my opinion the hide-a-bed in the living room would be a little crowded with two grown women sleeping on it (not sure of the ages of your niece or daughter). If your daughter and niece's mom join you, and your daughter and niece are grown, you may want to check into a rollaway bed (I am not sure if they have them or not). Two people can easily sleep on the master bedroom king bed and not have an issue at all.

When are you sailing? Is this your first time in a suite on Norwegian? Please let us know how your cruise went when you return:). HAPPY SAILING!!

OSU - below is a pic of the sofa bed.

Couple others showing a shattered glass panel in the Haven retractable roof. There were actually 3 total.

Also, the movable door between the DOS and OS. The one also shows where the door would get stowed.

I really have mixed feelings about the room. Lots of positives but the movable door leaking sound was an issue and I'm guessing we probably leaked our noise over to the neighbors as well. Can't believe the two best categories on the ship have to have this issue.

BA8_zpsf66e96ba.jpg

BA9_zps7cc7482c.jpg

BA12_zps25dbbc71.jpg

BA10_zps388aca0c.jpg

We have a family cruise coming up with both the OS and DOS booked and have requested the wall be opened for the duration (that was a story in itself since nothing is clearly documented that the wall can be removed). Will post a review and pics of the mega suite after we get back in July. Can't wait!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have a family cruise coming up with both the OS and DOS booked and have requested the wall be opened for the duration (that was a story in itself since nothing is clearly documented that the wall can be removed). Will post a review and pics of the mega suite after we get back in July. Can't wait!!!

I knew there was someone on here who was doing that but I couldn't recall who. Hopefully that storage spot gives you an idea where the wall will go. Not sure what they will do with the couch in the DOS and the other furniture, probably turn it to face the front windows would be my guess.

I can see the point of having that option but when it apparently sails mostly as individual rooms the noise travelling between rooms is an issue, at least for us on our sailing.

My preference would be to have it like on the other ships (like the OS on the Jewel and Dawn class) which have a door between the rooms (like the door that connects on the BA DOS to the room behind it. The GVs on the Dawn class I know also have movable walls but I've never heard anyone mention noise as being a problem.

Couple others showing a shattered glass panel in the Haven retractable roof. There were actually 3 total.

Also, the movable door between the DOS and OS. The one also shows where the door would get stowed.

I really have mixed feelings about the room. Lots of positives but the movable door leaking sound was an issue and I'm guessing we probably leaked our noise over to the neighbors as well. Can't believe the two best categories on the ship have to have this issue.

BA8_zpsf66e96ba.jpg

BA9_zps7cc7482c.jpg

BA12_zps25dbbc71.jpg

BA10_zps388aca0c.jpg

I couldn't agree with you more about the wall and noise issues. When I wrote my review of the room last July, that was the only slightly negative thing I mentioned about the space. We did hear our neighbors on occasion, and even though it was truly no big deal, it was a big surprise. I'm also glad to see the pics of the new door on the balcony; it obviously wasn't there last summer and the balcony seemed to go on forever! I suppose it feels a little different with the door.

I'm barefoot all of the time unless out of the cabin and never had any issue, I'm glad I didn't know about the glass shards :) I did notice the stains still on the carpet, but it wasn't a big deal.

For the door, the builder is who insisted on putting it in, must be as a windbreak of some sort, but it seemed strange having it there. Ruth said they already had to fix the one on the Getaway, so she didn't understand why they needed to put it in. I preferred the wide open expanse of the deck for sure, but when there were done with it, it looked like it had always been there. We did open it wide and thought the way it was hung that if the wind took it, it would smash the window behind it. It was fine opened slowly, but I wouldn't want to be there if it unlatched and came swinging back at the window.

SuiteCruiser, Glad to hear you did not have any issues with the glass shards:). Did they do anything different with the balcony furniture after the door was put in (tie the furniture up while at sea without the door and leave it untied at sea after the door was put in)?

SuiteCruiser, Glad to hear you did not have any issues with the glass shards:). Did they do anything different with the balcony furniture after the door was put in (tie the furniture up while at sea without the door and leave it untied at sea after the door was put in)?

I don't think they tied it down after the door was put in, but we also had a pretty smooth ride back, so that may have been the reason.

I had been in an OS on the Gem in crazy seas and had our 3 bottles of booze (including Kahlua) smash all over the floor. It was a pretty scary night with the side balcony door not closing properly even with both my husband and I giving it our all. I was glad to finally fall asleep and wake up to smoother seas. It's no fun.

Looked like it worked.

Here are some more pics of the PITA door and areas around it:

BA3_zps692458ca.jpg

BA2_zpsdda7b790.jpg

BA1_zps491eff67.jpg

BA7_zpsb6a6f6f9.jpg

BA6_zpse5afd648.jpg

Dexddd, Thanks for the great pictures of the balcony door. Kind of what I expected it to look like but more questions as to "WHY" after seeing it. It just does not make much sense to me:confused:.

TravelJoe, Looking forward to the review and the pictures of the mega suite when you get back in July:).

BA8_zpsf66e96ba.jpg

BA9_zps7cc7482c.jpg

BA12_zps25dbbc71.jpg

BA10_zps388aca0c.jpg

dexddd, Were the shattered panels on the retractable roof there from the beginning of the cruise or do you think they happened while you were on the cruise? I don't remember seeing any on our cruise. I wonder if SuiteCruiser noticed any on their cruise. That certainly does not look good.

The noise from the other room was a minor factor for us but we only heard our neighbors a few times. That would not be a deal breaker for us to not take the room again. A better design certainly could be used in my mind.

One was there for sure from day one. The other two, not sure but definitely early on. Depending on how the light reflects/shines on the windows it wasn't always obvious they were broken.