Cabbage beach or day pass at Melia/Sheraton?

libertyschool

Will be in Nassau in May. Ship only arrives at noon. By the time we disembark and get the jitney or a cab, it would only leave a few hours of "beach time". I've heard great things about the day pass option, but I feel it's a bit of a waste due to our short day. Cabbage beach looks breathtaking in the pictures I've seen. Can anyone tell me how rough and/or dangerous it is in May? Our children are ages 10-13 and very strong swimmers ... still I am a little leary. Advice?

Will be in Nassau in May. Ship only arrives at noon. By the time we disembark and get the jitney or a cab, it would only leave a few hours of "beach time". I've heard great things about the day pass option, but I feel it's a bit of a waste due to our short day. Cabbage beach looks breathtaking in the pictures I've seen. Can anyone tell me how rough and/or dangerous it is in May? Our children are ages 10-13 and very strong swimmers ... still I am a little leary. Advice?

There is no way of knowing what the weather and tide will bring on any given day. Several years ago we lost most of the beach to erosion due to rough tides, in the middle of may, other times we've had pretty decent weather with just a few sporatic days of rough water and red flags.

There is no real SEASONAL tides that make this beach dangerous, and with the global change in weather there is no way to predict. .

If the current is rough, being a strong swimmer may not be enough.

For a few hours off the ship, I'd opt for Junkanoo or one of the day passes. I wouldn't waste my time checking to see if the beach is rough or red flagged. Save that for a land vacation.

Thanks for the info. I am not interested in Junkanoo because it is in the harbor. This is the same reason why I would not get a day pass at the British Colonial. I am looking for an open ocean beach. I see a lot of varying opinions regarding Cable beach and whether or not there are parts of it that are public. So my only real options that are not to great a distance are Cabbage beach or Goodmans Bay. Or pay for a day pass.

Edited by libertyschool

We swim at Cabbage Beach, near the Paradise Island Beach Club (a timeshare resort). It takes about 10 minutes to get there by taxi. Cabbage Beach is beautiful and free and there is a minimart adjacent to the resort that sell beverages and snacks. You can see Atlantis way down at the other end of the beach but you avoid the crowds and the tremendous expense. We managed to rent an umbrella from a young man connected with the resort. The water was very calm that day and so clear. Enjoy your cruise!

I'm planning to go to the Melia Resort on April 1st, providing it's a nice day. Our ship doesn't dock until 2, so we probably won't get there until about 3. I emailed the resort and you are allowed to use their facilities until 7 PM. I figured we should still be able to get at least 3 good hours of beach time, so for us it's worth it. I live at the Jersey Shore and my favorite time on the beach is from 4 to 6 pm, and on nice days we have been know to still be on the beach at 8.

• 5 weeks later...

I WEnt To cabbAge from The Carnival Sensation Just Recently On April 4. We Wanted To Save Money And By All Appearances It Was Just As Beautiful And Rather Calm.As I'm Standing Ankle Deep With My 9 Year Old, She Was Sucked Under. There Is No Other Way To Explain This So Ill Give It To You Just As I Recall. I Held On To My Daughter For Dear Life And Watched Her Be Consumed By The Sand And Water. I Was Sucked In Right After Her And Was Tumbled Under Water For What Felt Like 10 Minutes But Was Only 1 Minute According To Witnesses. By The TiMe I Reached Air I Spot My Daughter 20 Feet Out Being Pounded Under Water. It Was The Strongest Rip Tide I've Ever Experienced And I've Experienced A Few In My Life. I'm 28 And Very Athletic And A Strong SwiMmer And It Kept Swallowing Me. I Was Sure We Were Both Going To Die But Thankfully My Husband Was ABle To Get My Daughter After 10 Minutes Fighting For Her Life!!!! Gods Oceans Have Tremendous Power And Can Consume You Instantly. There Are No Life Guards And Dont Expect The Locals To Do Anything But Yell For Help.Many Have Died At This Free Beach. Dont Take Chances With Ylur Family Eslecially Children. Go To A Lifeguarded Beach Instead. Worst Experience Of My Life. I Almost Lost My Child To Save Money. NEver Again.

Thanks Beachlovinglady I appreciate that your 1 and only cc post is to warn me about Cabbage beach. I am still undecided as of yet. I'd love to hear any other recent experiences. Anyone?

Please heed the warnings regarding Cabbage Beach when you have children. Regardless that they are strong swimmers, this water can be dangerous for even the best. The undertow and riptides are very strong. And we have already had several drownings this season.

There are NO lifeguards on this beach.

Hmmm...last year we did the SHERATON..now the Milea..on CABLE BEACH.great..worth every dollar took a cab...we're going back this May (Enchantment of the Seas Port Canaveral departure may 16)....by chance...you on the same ship...we get in at noon....maybe yes maybe no

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

I read that the day pass is $30 and half price for kids. What is the age range up to for kids? Also, do they let you use that $30 towards food and drinks? Many years ago I did that at the Melia in Puerto Vallarta and it was a great deal!

I read that the day pass is $30 and half price for kids. What is the age range up to for kids? Also, do they let you use that $30 towards food and drinks? Many years ago I did that at the Melia in Puerto Vallarta and it was a great deal!

I think the kids age range is 3-12, but I could be mistaken.

$30 pass is for entrance to the hotel property. It does not include any food or drink.

My friends also spoke about the water being worse than the Atlantic Ocean no lifeguards also ! They where just there in March

I think we are going to the Hilton or Junkanoo or maybe even Belmoral island

Sent from my iPhone using Forums