Packing light

Blamar

I am sure there is a thread here but I couldn't find it. Here is my thought - We are off in a couple months on a 12 night Baltic. I really don't want to take a lot of luggage. Does anyone have any tips for packing enough for a cruise, with formal nights, in two carry ons?

It would be simple if it were the caribbean but we need a little bulkier wear.

Thanks,

Blake

We sailed the Baltic in August and essentials are...

lightweight mac (you dont need a thick one), umbrella, jeans (obv wear these to travel), light knit jumpers and cardigans, long dress for evening that can be accessorised 2 ways, sturdy shoes for cobbles,light weight long sleeve tops and tees.

Also pack swimwear and some lighter bits...Europe can have random heatwaves in spring.

Edited by Velvetwater

Packing light is discussed almost daily on the Fashion and Beauty Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1687293

For good ideas on how to condense

www.ladylighttravel.com

onebag.com

ricksteves.com

Be an Onion, dress in thin layers.

-Pack from the ground up. Start with your shoes

-All tops must go with all bottoms.

-Do you need to do formal nights? If yes, then what line are you sailing and wear the minimum. Rewear the same outfit.

-Minimize the beauty routine. Buff your nails, eliminates several things-polish, remover etc

-Share whatever can be shared

-Decant everything and anything, bring just enough. There is enough time to figure out how many days a travel size toothpaste will last, same with travel sizes of other lotions and potions. For us the travel toothpaste will last 14 uses. I have my Argan oil in a small eye drop bottle (42 uses) and hair gel in an old contact lens case (10 uses/side). YMMV

-Limit electronics and their cords, look for dual voltage appliances because converters are a bit bulky and weigh much more than adapters.

For fun Google 'No Bag Challenge'. It's eye opening.

Edited by SadieN

Packing light is discussed almost daily on the Fashion and Beauty Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1687293

For good ideas on how to condense

www.ladylighttravel.com

onebag.com

ricksteves.com

Be an Onion, dress in thin layers.

-Pack from the ground up. Start with your shoes

-All tops must go with all bottoms.

-Do you need to do formal nights? If yes, then what line are you sailing and wear the minimum. Rewear the same outfit.

-Minimize the beauty routine. Buff your nails, eliminates several things-polish, remover etc

-Share whatever can be shared

-Decant everything and anything, bring just enough. There is enough time to figure out how many days a travel size toothpaste will last, same with travel sizes of other lotions and potions. For us the travel toothpaste will last 14 uses. I have my Argan oil in a small eye drop bottle (42 uses) and hair gel in an old contact lens case (10 uses/side). YMMV

-Limit electronics and their cords, look for dual voltage appliances because converters are a bit bulky and weigh much more than adapters.

For fun Google 'No Bag Challenge'. It's eye opening.

Thanks for pointing us to that thread and the other sites you provided. I'm always looking for ways to pack even less.

I just returned from a cruise traveling with only a backpack which included 8 changes of clothing and I still think I packed too much.

Thanks for pointing us to that thread and the other sites you provided. I'm always looking for ways to pack even less.

I just returned from a cruise traveling with only a backpack which included 8 changes of clothing and I still think I packed too much.

You're very welcome.:)

Here's another site for you

http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2012/01/the-almost-no-bag-challenge-how-to-live-out-of-one-bag-for-21-days-in-europe/

Edited by SadieN