Booking cabin for kids (teens) across the hall

me-n-kev

So.... we are looking at a cruise next year when the kids are on spring break. We are planning on getting a separate cabin for the them - DD will be 17, DS will be 14. We want a balcony for us, and interior for them. Booking a year out (hope to be able to book within a couple of weeks), how hard will it be to get a cabin for them basically across from us?

If I put that I want 2 rooms into CCL's booking engine, it wants to give me 2 of the same category, so I'm struggling to do research.

Also, any tips for having them in a separate cabin?

Thanks,

Kevin

Find the rooms you like on line at Carnival.com, then give them a call to make the booking. Note that one adult has to be reserved in each room. Once on board, go to guest services and get extra room keys, then kids can have the one room and adults the other. Have fun.

Find the rooms you like on line at Carnival.com, then give them a call to make the booking. Note that one adult has to be reserved in each room. Once on board, go to guest services and get extra room keys, then kids can have the one room and adults the other. Have fun.

There does not have to be an adult in each cabin as long as the cabin is near by. In fact, I don't even think the cabin has to be close with kids that age but I'd have to check Carnival's rules to be sure. As long as you are traveling with them you will not have to book an adult in each cabin.

I have done this twice. It takes a little research and playing with the online booking. Figure out where you would like to be on the ship and look at the deck plans. Then go through the steps as if you are booking individual cabins (not both at the same time). We did have to book an fault in each booking but go to Guest Services as soon as we are on board and have the SS cards changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There does not have to be an adult in each cabin as long as the cabin is near by. In fact, I don't even think the cabin has to be close with kids that age but I'd have to check Carnival's rules to be sure. As long as you are traveling with them you will not have to book an adult in each cabin.

One adult has to be "RESERVED" in each room. OP's oldest, a 17 year old cannot book a room with Carnival. Once the family is on board, no one will say anything about what rooms they are in.

And I stand corrected by the next post....an obvious change since I last sailed with my children.

Edited by LKYGSR

Here is the policy. Children age 13 - 17 can be booked up to 3 cabins away.

Minor Guest Policy

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided at embarkation. The Group policy is slightly different because of stricter group terms and conditions including mandatory chaperones, damage deposits and other considerations.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

· The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian

· The bookings must be cross-referenced with the guardian’s stateroom and documented properly

· When minors (18 and under) are not traveling with a relative, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel.

Guests 12 and younger

· If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony cabin without a relative or guardian.

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

· Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from their relative or guardian.

Guests 18 – 20 years of age

· Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

As pointed out, they can be booked in their own cabin. I have cabins booked right now with grandsons who will be 14, 11, and 11. They were going to be across the hall, but we moved them to next door, but it's not a connecting (except for the balcony).

Might be best to call to book your cabins.

Do not hang up until you have verified the cabins reserved for you. (Voice of Experience)

Edited by SadieN

One adult has to be "RESERVED" in each room. OP's oldest, a 17 year old cannot book a room with Carnival. Once the family is on board, no one will say anything about what rooms they are in.

And I stand corrected by the next post....an obvious change since I last sailed with my children.

That is incorrect. Depending upon the age of the kids, an adult does not have to be booked into the room (the kids room has to be on the adults account though). We sailed with our 16 y/o DS and 18 y/o DD. They had to be within 3 doors of our cabin (we had a balcony and they had an inside). I just used the booking engine to find the cabin combination that met the requirements and booked them individually. There is a minimum age to do this (12 or 14, not sure which).

Tip for Teens in Separate Cabin

When we traveled with our kids, also aged 17 and 14, the only rule we had was that they had to check in with us at or before midnight and then spend the rest of the night in their cabin. We trusted our kids--to rat on each other if one left after midnight!:)

Seriously, we did trust the kids and there were no problems. We all had a great cruise.

Edited by GradUT

We just (a couple of weeks ago) booked a Christmas 2014 cruise and there were at least a handful of options on our desired deck and with our desired cabin types that had balcony/interior directly across the hall combinations open. I would think a year out, even though it's spring break, you should be able to find a combination that works for you. You could spend a ton of time online looking for options, or you could just call Carnival. Tell them what you want, and they will be able to find it. You can have the deck plans open in front of you to verify the locations will work for you.

The Carnival agent DID say we had to put an adult in each room, so it's interesting that their own policy contradicts that (our kids will be 15 and 13). It doesn't sound like their people are up to speed on their policies...such a shock! :rolleyes:

Lisa

Tip for Teens in Separate Cabin

When we traveled with our kids, also aged 17 and 14, the only rule we had was that they had to check in with us at or before midnight and then spend the rest of the night in their cabin. We trusted our kids--to rat on each other if one left after midnight!:)

This is a great strategy that I plan to employ on our Christmas cruise! Last time, the kids were in a suite with us, and more than once I had to go hunting them down when they were not back in the room by their 11pm curfew. They were ALWAYS in the same place (hot tub), so I guess they had me trained pretty well. :o

I'd also recommend calling. I did a lot of research, started bookings online for our 2 cabins. We ended up with 2 balconies so it wasn't that hard. But when I tried to find cabins across from one another the online thing didn't want to show me cabins on the same deck. First I'd look for decks with cabins for 2 that are located where you want. I have a feeling the interiors on our deck may have held more people and that's why online wouldn't list them. I think calling them may be a lot easier. I also had an issue when making payment as it only took payment for the first booking and didn't connect the booking for dining or anything.

We are currently booked like this. What I did was pull up the categories for each of us and take a screen shot of the available cabins and laid them out side by side in a Word document so I could see where the matches were. Once I picked out where I wanted to be - and had a backup in mind just in case - I called Carnival and booked it. You do need to call in and speak to someone to book teens in their own room without an adult to make sure it's within guidelines.

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

Thank you HeidoHo for posting the actual policy. I am on the phone with Carnival right now to get our bookings changed to put my husband in the same cabin with me and the two boys across the hall. We could have left it with husband across the hall, but we would have had to visit guest services to get his S&S card changed to open our cabin door. At least this way, our S&S cards will be programmed to open the right cabins. We will still visit guest services to get a separate key to the boys' cabin, but we can do that at our leisure.

At first she wanted to charge me $50/booking to make the change, so I pointed out that it was Carnival's agent who mis-informed me or I would not have booked it that way to begin with!

Lisa

I would call Carnival to book the cruise and you will not have to book an adult in each room if they are close together and it is only your children. My kids had their own room for the first time on our last cruise. My advise is to check their room before you disembark. My daughters were 15 and 17. I did not check the room myself, but asked them if they double checked to make sure they had everything. Well, the forgot to get their items from the safe. I don't remember everything that was left behind, but the list included an iPod and camera. We were able to get everything back, but next time I will check for myself.

My 16 year old had an entire reservation in her name. She, my son, and MIL were directly across the hall from us.

Sent from my mobile device. Typos are inevitable.

We are a family of 6, so we have always had to have 3 cabins. We book an OV for us and the boys are in one cabin and girls are in another (both directly across the hall in inside cabins). We have never booked an adult in the room with them. But since we have the bigger cabin, we give them all a key to our cabin and allow them to come and go as they please. They were always required to check in with us at specific times (usually 2 hours before dinner and 11:00 pm). They were always required to meet us at dinner (no exceptions) and they always met in our cabin if they had made plans with each other I thought it was funny that our cabin was the meeting area. Enjoy your cruise!