Ship Time? Island time? Help!

J_Viggy

OK, so I was just perusing some threads about Cozumel and someone mentioned that they actually arrived at the all-inclusive beach an hour before it opened, because they were on ship time instead of island time.

Um. What?!

I'm a first timer and I'd like to avoid messing this up and missing the ship or something!

If I am on a Carnival cruise from Galveston, TX and I'm in Cozumel, what time it is?

Ship time is decided on by the Captain, and it usually (not always) stays on one time zone for the entire cruise. The captain/crew will make it very clear what time ship time is, and you should set your watch by that and not worry about what Island time is.

If you have a phone that auto updates to the current time zone, you should bring a watch with you.

OK, so I was just perusing some threads about Cozumel and someone mentioned that they actually arrived at the all-inclusive beach an hour before it opened, because they were on ship time instead of island time.

Um. What?!

I'm a first timer and I'd like to avoid messing this up and missing the ship or something!

If I am on a Carnival cruise from Galveston, TX and I'm in Cozumel, what time it is?

From what I have been told, by both Carnival and locate tour operators I dealt with, they do not consistently do one or the other. Most times you will stay on the time zone which you leave from, ie "ship's time". So you will most likely always be on Galveston time. But not 100% guaranteed.

That said, they make it well known before you get off the boat through the Fun Times, announcements and signs where you debark to remind you.

Hint, if you use your smartphone and have to stay on ships time, make sure to disable the auto adjust.

I should have added...

I don't know which AI your going to, but we arrived at Nachi Cocum an hour early. (The ship was one hour ahead of local time.) They let us in. No problem.

I'm going April 20.

And Nachi Cocum is the AI we are going to:)

Thanks all. Our departure date is creeping up on us and I'm getting so excited. But when I saw this about two different times I sort of freaked out LOL.

Um. What?!

Cozumel is in the Central time zone as is Galveston; however, Cozumel will not start daylight saving time until April 6th and will end daylight saving time on October 26th. Always stay on ship's time when you cruise.

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/change/mexico/cozumel

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=1235

Edited by winddawn

I'm going April 20.

And Nachi Cocum is the AI we are going to:)

Thanks all. Our departure date is creeping up on us and I'm getting so excited. But when I saw this about two different times I sort of freaked out LOL.

Looks like ship time and local time will be the same for Galveston and Cozumel.

But pay attention to the Fun Times, on the outside chance that ship time might change.

The DH always wears a watch that shows ship time so we don't take the chance of missing the ship.

Edited by KenMo

Since the US changed the dates for DST a few years back it impacts people who are visiting ports in Central America during those 2 or 3 weeks between the old DST and the new US dates.

When we were on the Legend last October we were 2 hours ahead of the Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel and the captain gave us an extra hour in each port because of the time difference. Some people on our roll call got to Nachi Cocum so early they weren't even ready to take their money so they let them on the beach for an hour or two, and then came around and collected their money. I know we got to Tropicante (in Costa Maya/ Mahahual) at like 7:30 AM local time.