Owner's Suite on Sun - What is above balcony?

GeezerCouple

We are planning a special trip (aren't they all!? ;-) to Alaska, and think it would be the trip of a lifetime with a view just above the Bridge on the Sun.

BUT - what is just above the OS balcony?

Is that a deck open to passengers, such that they could be looking right down, or even drop something on the OS balcony?

If that is a public deck just above the OS balcony (and some smaller balconies between the two OS's), that could get very crowded at peak viewing times.

And if it isn't open to the public, what is that deck space for? (It looks like pretty special space!)

Thanks very much!

GeezerCouple

We stayed in 1001 and 1002 in 2008. We did meet the couple staying in the owners suite (1003) next to our daughters' room and they gave us a tour. The suite was awesome!! I have a couple pictures of me and my husband on our balcony (1001) taken by our daughters on the shuttle back from GSC. There is an observation deck above those rooms, and people could see down on you if you were at the railing, but if you were close to the balcony door I don't think they could see you. We never had any problem with food/trash on our balcony from above. You will love the suite! I always look for those rooms again as I would book them in a heartbeat, but they sell out quick.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Edited by ksimpso3

We stayed in 1001 and 1002 in 2008. We did meet the couple staying in the owners suite (1003) next to our daughters' room and they gave us a tour. The suite was awesome!! I have a couple pictures of me and my husband on our balcony (1001) taken by our daughters on the shuttle back from GSC. There is an observation deck above those rooms, and people could see down on you if you were at the railing, but if you were close to the balcony door I don't think they could see you. We never had any problem with food/trash on our balcony from above. You will love the suite! I always look for those rooms again as I would book them in a heartbeat, but they sell out quick.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Thanks so much, ksimpso3!

Your report helps a lot, and the angle of those photos is just perfect for this purpose. I just couldn't find any photos online (NCL or elsewhere) that had quite this view. With the railing above angled back so far, there shouldn't be much of a problem, if any.

I cannot believe we got this OS, and for Alaska of all places - wow!

We had a different Alaska cruise planned, and after seeing what some of the suites were like on Norwegian, for some reason, I decided to check out the Alaska cruises. Not all of the ships have suites set forward like this.

So this one was available, and we pounced.

More than we planned to spend, but this IS the cruise of a lifetime. If there is ever a time to have this view, this is it.

And this has the combo of balcony *and* wall of windows if it's chilly out.

Thanks again.

GeezerCouple

I think that is the perfect suite to see Alaska from! Enjoy! We hope to do Alaska one day and would prefer to do it aboard the Sun. We were perfectly happy with our connecting balcony and mini suite, but would love to have that owner's suite! BTW, all three of those rooms (1003, 1002, and 1001) connect to make an awesome 3 BR suite if sailing with family members.

The people on the observation deck above can see some of your balcony, and if you are sitting/standing toward the outside of your balcony and look up, you can see them. On our two OS sailings, we have had a few things dropped onto our balcony, but not an overwhelming amount.

Robin

Thanks all.

That's been very helpful.

One more question: Is there another ship that has the same OS as the Sun, or something similar at the *front* of the ship?

The Dawn has a great DOS, but there is no balcony.

And the other larger OS/DOS that I could find seem to be set back a bit, with public areas in front (so "looking forward" isn't really the same as being truly "forward").

As nice as a Garden Villa might be, there aren't going to be enough of us so that would make any sense financially.

Maybe someday, if we can entice some friends to join us :)

Many thanks once again for your help.

GeezerCouple

Thanks all.

That's been very helpful.

One more question: Is there another ship that has the same OS as the Sun, or something similar at the *front* of the ship?

The Dawn has a great DOS, but there is no balcony.

And the other larger OS/DOS that I could find seem to be set back a bit, with public areas in front (so "looking forward" isn't really the same as being truly "forward").

As nice as a Garden Villa might be, there aren't going to be enough of us so that would make any sense financially.

Maybe someday, if we can entice some friends to join us :)

Many thanks once again for your help.

GeezerCouple

I know the Dawn and the Jewel/Gem class ships all have forward Owner's Suites with two balconies (not the new Deluxe Owner's Suites on the Dawn). They are located on decks 9 and 10 and have two balconies, one forward and one on the side, but no hot tub on the balcony like the Sun (the hot tub is really not a hot tub anyway, more of a bathtub - large but shallow, that has to be filled for every use). I love the forward Owner's Suites, and have stayed in quite a few of them. They are two rooms, although on many ships the bedroom and living room are separated by a heavy curtain instead of a door, but it works just as well. Large bathroom, closet and dressing area, large living room, big big balconies, and an extra half bath.

Those forward suites are directly forward, with only the bow of the ship (occasionally used crew space) in front of you.

Also, the new builds have forward facing OS and DOS with balconies. Not sure about other ships that I haven't been on (Star, Spirit, POA). The Gem, Pearl, and Jade also have DOS looking forward over the pool decks.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

We had one of the two Owner's Suites on the Sun to Alaska back in 2004...and unless they have reconfigured them since then, the only word to describe them is fabulous...! I could go on and on...but will go to your specifics!

We had no problem at all with anything being thrown down onto our balcony, though, as others have stated, if you are right at the railing of your balcony, you can be seen by others above--if they're looking.

The hot tub on the balcony is nice, but as another person said, it is more like a bath tub--it needs to be re-filled each time you want to use it...and that takes some time...!

The suite itself is...HUGE...! It is 3 rooms--one of which is a very large bathroom with a very nice whirlpool tub.

The balcony is PERFECT for Alaska--with one exception...it is not covered at all. Luckily, when we cruised (June), the weather was amazing--no rain at all.

I'd book that suite again...in a heartbeat...! :)

We had one of the two Owner's Suites on the Sun to Alaska back in 2004...and unless they have reconfigured them since then, the only word to describe them is fabulous...! I could go on and on...but will go to your specifics!

We had no problem at all with anything being thrown down onto our balcony, though, as others have stated, if you are right at the railing of your balcony, you can be seen by others above--if they're looking.

The hot tub on the balcony is nice, but as another person said, it is more like a bath tub--it needs to be re-filled each time you want to use it...and that takes some time...!

The suite itself is...HUGE...! It is 3 rooms--one of which is a very large bathroom with a very nice whirlpool tub.

The balcony is PERFECT for Alaska--with one exception...it is not covered at all. Luckily, when we cruised (June), the weather was amazing--no rain at all.

From my days on the Aloha/Sky, I remember that there is a security camera that looks down on these owner's suite balconies, and the bridge officers often got quite a show from the hot tubs.

From my days on the Aloha/Sky, I remember that there is a security camera that looks down on these owner's suite balconies, and the bridge officers often got quite a show from the hot tubs.

Good to know!

So it's not only that set-back deck that is "above"...

As for the Sky, it only does short Bahamas cruises?

(Either that, or there is something wrong with the NCL website right now.)

Thank you for the warning :o

GeezerCouple

Good to know!

So it's not only that set-back deck that is "above"...

As for the Sky, it only does short Bahamas cruises?

(Either that, or there is something wrong with the NCL website right now.)

Thank you for the warning :o

GeezerCouple

Yes, the Sky is now on the 3/4 night Bahamas cruises. I worked on her for 4 years when she was in the Carib (out of San Juan) and in Hawaii.

The other "adult" night time security camera viewing was the kiddy splash pool and Jacuzzi, go figure.:o

Thanks!

About the "if it rains", we figured we still would have that terrific wall of windows (and in both bedroom and living room ;-), much like it is in the Dawn DOS (which has the windows, but no balcony).

Also, if it happens to be really chilly.

(Not too sure we'll be using that Hot Tub/bathtub in Alaska. And if I got in it, I fear I wouldn't ever be coaxed to come out! But who knows...?)

It looks like we are going to take this cruise, and in the Sun's OS.

We've got another day or two to decide.

We waited a bit late to get started on retirement travel, so we have to make up for some lost time :D

Thanks again!

GeezerCouple

Thanks!

About the "if it rains", we figured we still would have that terrific wall of windows (and in both bedroom and living room ;-), much like it is in the Dawn DOS (which has the windows, but no balcony).

Also, if it happens to be really chilly.

(Not too sure we'll be using that Hot Tub/bathtub in Alaska. And if I got in it, I fear I wouldn't ever be coaxed to come out! But who knows...?)

It looks like we are going to take this cruise, and in the Sun's OS.

We've got another day or two to decide.

We waited a bit late to get started on retirement travel, so we have to make up for some lost time :D

Thanks again!

GeezerCouple

So, what did you eventually decide...? You'd have a great time in this suite...! :)

So, what did you eventually decide...? You'd have a great time in this suite...! :)

We've got it :)

And it looks like we are keeping it! :D

One factor for the splurge is that we'll be traveling with another (much younger) couple and their young child. So with several sea days, this will give us a nice space to "be together".

They'll have their own cabin to sleep in, and for the little guy to take naps, and we'll want some quiet time, too.

But for the "together time" (without all the noise/crowds on decks), the living room in the Dawn's DOS looks ideal.

Now, we might get spoiled by all that space, and we're not going to be able to do that for all future cruises, but I'm sure we could have gotten used to it...

Thanks for everyone's help.

CruiseCritic (comments and photos) is just great for this type of question.

GeezerCouple