Papeete to Fiji

Shelley G

We just completed our first Paul Gauguin cruise and loved it so much we are planning to go back. We are looking at the 13 night Papeete to Fiji cruise. Has anyone done this before? What are the flight arrangements?

Thanks

Shelley

The Polynesian/PG Flu strikes again......welcome to the club.

We did this some years ago. Basically it's the same ATN to Papeete with the return to LAX on Air Pacific. The latter is no better than ATN. The ship gave us the day room at the Westin.

We are doing this itinerary in May, and the flight is now with Fiji Airways. We leave Fiji at 21:40 and arrive at LAX at 13:25... both dates are on May 31st because we fly east through the International Date Line. So we arrive in LAX before leaving Fiji. :p I found this on the Internet: "Air Pacific Limited, trading as Fiji Airways, formerly Air Pacific, is the flag carrier airline of Fiji."

Gerry

The Polynesian/PG Flu strikes again......welcome to the club.

We did this some years ago. Basically it's the same ATN to Papeete with the return to LAX on Air Pacific. The latter is no better than ATN. The ship gave us the day room at the Westin.

The Air Pacific name is no more. About a year ago the airline was re-named Fiji Airways, when their brand new Airbuses 330's arrived. I just read an article on Fiji Airways last week, the reporter stated the new aircraft has resulted in a huge improvement in the inflight experience, and they are making money hand over fist, as compared to the money losing TN. In 59 days I will find out for my self it FJ is superior to TN.

Edited by Icecat

We flew Pacific Air (now Fiji Air) RT to Nadi from LAX a couple of years ago. Business in one direction and coach in the other. Business was recliner seats and the coach seats were relatively comfortable, much more comfortable than the old coach on Air Tahiti Nui.

IMHO I would do this itinerary only if I could spend some extra days in Fiji. The Fiji port is not very good and you have a moderate number of sea days. If you can't have the time to spend extra days in Fiji I would look at the 11 day trip that includes the Cook Islands.

Hi---We are booked on this cruise in May. We are leaning toward booking ship tours in Tonga and the two Fiji islands but were wondering what else there may be to do in those ports other than the ship's tours. Are there shops or vendors at the dock---anything else within walking distance if you remember.

We will be on the Tahiti – Fiji cruise in May, too. We know we can use CFP francs in French Polynesia, but can anyone advise us as to whether we should obtain (in advance of our trip) currencies for the Cook Islands (Aitutaki), Tonga, and Fiji? We will likely being using the ship excursions, so booking local tours aren't anticipated. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Not much in Vavau'u Tonga except a very small market and a few shops. but the snorkeling in the best ever. We did a private tour with Hakau Adventures in Oct 2012. In Suva, The very large public market is right outside the port gate. We did a private tour with Jewels of Fiji ( awesome foursome tour) that was the highlight of the trip for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We will be on the Tahiti – Fiji cruise in May, too. We know we can use CFP francs in French Polynesia, but can anyone advise us as to whether we should obtain (in advance of our trip) currencies for the Cook Islands (Aitutaki), Tonga, and Fiji? We will likely being using the ship excursions, so booking local tours aren't anticipated. Thanks in advance for your advice.

When we were in Aitutaki in June 2011 we brought New Zealand dollars because the private tour we took with "Teking" required local currency. If taking a ship tour you probably don't need any. I don't recall if there were any shops near the dock---but I don't remember any nearby.

We were on the trip with wp bob, and in Vava'u we used vavauislandexpress. Some of the best snorkeling I've ever had! A great day! And I agree, the Jewels of Fiji was wonderful. All in all, a terrific cruise.

Looking forward to getting details on air Fiji.

Same here. We've upgraded to our tickets to business/economy and expect the best. Emdee we're on the August 30th PG cruise and think you'll be on that cruise too. We're scheduled to fly out of LAX on August 25th.

Same here. We've upgraded to our tickets to business/economy and expect the best. Emdee we're on the August 30th PG cruise and think you'll be on that cruise too. We're scheduled to fly out of LAX on August 25th.

Our cruise is September 10th. So maybe next time....

Espi, We are also on the Aug. 30 PG cruise. We will be flying out on Thurs. Aug. 28. Hope to meet up with you. Already have our shore excursions pick out but not booked yet. Have you picked out what you plan to do yet?

We're really interested in the helicopter tours (there's a 15 and a 30 min). Would you be interested in joining us for that excursion? You have to have 4 people on the helicopter to do the excursion.

We're open to ideas about other excursions too.

Edited by Espi

• 2 weeks later...