Dynamic Dining and Event and Food review

This was originally started as a response in a thread but then developed a life of its own so I just gave it its own thread.

Oh. Before I get going, I have all the packet info (including menus) they gave us as well as video of Goldstein's speeches from the day. I can put them up on a website if people want....actually, I probably will anyway tomorrow.

A note that the event described below was held the same day, but several hours before the Press event from which many people have gotten their information.

Here goes:

Some arcanely-decided group of a couple/3 hundred(?) of us were invited to a preview of dining on the Quantum of the Seas in NYC on March 26th (oh, March you fickle month). Doors were to open at 1. I drove by at 12:10 and it was this large stand-alone warehouse-y looking building a couple of blocks from the river. I kept going and checked my email for the address. That was it. By the time I drove around various blocks and got back there, there was a huge blue RCCL inflated entryway into what was obviously a freight elevator and several dozen people already in line. I parked and joined them.

Have you ever sailed out of NY in January? Remember muster? You and several hundred of your closest friends shivering on the deck for 20 minutes or so. This was like that except with a cold wind whipping up from the river. But, we took it in stride. Eventually, the line started moving slowly. They were taking us up in batches of 20 or so for some reason. Well, it became clear. The elevator doors opened, and there you were at port check-in. 8 or so young women behind a desk with computers to confirm you and give you your Sea Pass and your *scheduled time to go into Wonderland*. Other people took your coat and you were directed to a room where they gave you champagne and/or wine. There were various displays to look at. We were then taken to another area with chairs and a *huge* multimedia screen. We then spent 25 minutes or so having Adam Goldstein and various VPs telling us how wonderful everything will be. (Oh, and there is a Quantum 3 already in the works)

Dynamic Dining is MTD on steroids. Yes, traditional dining will not be available. It's not clear (and I couldn't catch her to ask) whether one of the reservation options will to be seated at a large communal table...I hope so. I tend to suspect that part of the reservation problems we see on the big ships is (well, aside from my personal belief that they're too damn big) that they are trying to juggle the reservation system around the MDR & traditional dining times. The reservation system as briefly demonstrated at the event seems completely redesigned and will show you what your chosen reservation could conflict with in terms of things like shows. You do not have to make your reservations in advance or in bulk. You can play it by ear. On a related note, I have never had a problem making same day reservations at any of the reserved venues on current ships. I have occasionally had to take my second-choice time, but I've never missed out.

I cannot see the Dynamic Dining concept being retrofitted to ships that are not Quantum Class (*maybe* Oasis class, but I don't think so) since the design of what is replacing the MDR is very specific. And, what is replacing the MDR are 4 (roughly) 400-seat themed and 1 100-seat Suites-only facilities. There will be a total of 18 places to get food (the 5 MDRs, 7 specialty (i.e., they cost extra) restaurants, and 6 casual dining (all free except Johnny Rockets & it's weird little Cover Charge).

After the speeches, we were sent back in the direction from which we came and giant doors had opened to reveal a very navigable maze of 9 (well 8 plus the entrance to Wonderland) booths that represented the feel and cuisine of 9 of Quantum's dining venues.

We got tastings from all the MDRs and 4 of the Specialties (plus a ton of wine, champagne and shots..holy cats). Details (from a combo of notes, memory & info from their packet) below. If they can keep up the quality they gave us, I have high hopes for the food that will be on Quantum. Of course, all food comments are my thoughts, your mileage may vary:

The 5 MDRS:

American Icon Grill: Described as "a Classic American Road Trip". The menu supports this. It felt from the presentation like it may wind up with a Southern feel. Food Samples were Reuben Turnover: Yum & New England Clam Chowder: I don't do Clam Chowder, but the Oyster crackers were really good.

Silk: Described as "vibrant tapestry of Pan-Asian flavors". The menu supports this - Dishes from Chinese to Thai to Vietnamese to Indian to Japanese. Food samples were Saigon Shrimp: Nice heat & Szechuan Short Ribs: Oh. Yum. And melt in your mouth tender.

Chic: Described as "Height of contemporary cuisine". The graphics were all those pretty arranged dishes the cooking shows show. The menu is an upscale fine dining American Road Trip. Food Samples were: Potato Crusted Black Cod: looked good, but I don't do fish & Mint Crusted Lamb Chops: These were cooked to perfection & wonderful.

The Grande: Described as: "luxurious nod to a bygone era". The motto as told to us at the event "Every night is formal night". This is where our Lobster (Lobster Tail Thermidor, but still), Beef Wellington, Rack of Lamb and the like will be Every Night. Food Samples: Chicken a L'Orange: tasty and what is on the menu but I'm just used to duck for this dish & Bacon Roasted Scallops: This was sort of where they had a problem. The first thing you smelled when you walked in were those scallops and there was quite the crowd. They cranked out the scallops and they were delicious, but the bacon sort of got lost in the shuffle. I was so full later, I never got back to see if the bacon appeared when things calmed down some.

Coastal Kitchen (suite guests ONLY): Described as "California cool meets the warmth of the Mediterranean". What I wrote at the time "California chic". Menu supports both. Food Samples: Golden Beet Salad: yes, there was a hunk of beet, but the quinoa and avocado puree salad was really nice and I kinda begrudge the suite guests this appetizer & Grilled Vegetable Flatbread: The most meh dish there, I felt. The flatbread was chewy and the grilled vegetables not terribly inspired.

The Specialties:

Jamie's Italian (Jamie Oliver's contribution to dining at sea): Described as well, pretty much what I put in parentheses, but "Italian cooking has its star turn at sea".The little menu in the booklet sounds nice. The big menu handed to me by the Jamie's people looks awesome. Food samples: Jamies Italian Antipasti: An antipasti, a tasty antipasti, but an antipasti nonetheless & Jamie's Porchetta with Smashed Garlic, Lemon and Herbs: Oh. I barely have the words to describe how much I loved this pork dish. I will go to Jamie's more than once just to have this again.

Michael's Genuine Pub (brought to us by Chef Michael Schwartz, a lovely man). Described as "Your local pub just got a handcrafted upgrade". Menu is upscale pub food with a nice variety of beers & cocktails (kinda seems like these may only available in Michael's, but not sure). Food samples: Deviled Eggs: They tasted just like my deviled eggs with a really nice tang, so I enjoyed them a lot & Pulled Pork Sliders: The sliders were fine, but since I was trying them as demoed, I'm not a fan of things on my pulled pork except sauce but, that's hardly their fault & I'm sure on ship, they will make them to order.

Devinly Decadence at Solarium Bistro (Devin Alexander's contribution):Not described anywhere that I can find in the packets and not terribly memorable as it was kind of just sort of stuck to the side like an afterthought, but it is included in the printed map we were given. There are two dishes listed as being Samples, but at this point I was really not interested in eating much more and one of the two was Chicken Satay with Peanut Dipping Sauce which I hate in any incarnation and something called "Littel Dev" which I don't really remember seeing there.

And, then there's Wonderland: This was the venue for which we had all been assigned times and was locked away out of sight behind a goofy closed door. The hostess who checked your times was straight out of Tim Burton's Wonderland, but I didn't hold that against them. Once, you got in, it was decorated (as I assume the Dining Room will be) in a Mad Hatter scheme of decorations and seating....very cool. Described as "From the Depths of Imagination comes a Feast for the Senses". What it is is a wonderful exploration and display of Molecular Gastronomy where foods are often not what they appear....if they even appear as anything you recognize. Food samples: Chocolate Olive Fizz in Clear Wrapper: I hesitated about this as I am not a fan of olives, but the chef reassured me that there was only a bit for the saltiness and I'd never know it. So, I took this little seemingly plastic triangle-shaped pouch and popped it in my mouth. This is seriously the happiest thing I have ever eaten. Notice I did not best or most delicious (however, it is good as well) but, I guarantee it is the happiest. Wasabi and Apple Smoke Crisp: This is made using a nitrogen freezing method...so much fun and the wasabi tinged apple-crisp flavors worked very well together. Vanishing Noodles: a (chicken?) broth soup where the noodles do indeed vanish when the almost boiling stock is added into the bowl...I suspect the noodles may involve sour cream, so I'd ask if you have a dairy sensitivity. Sweet and Sour Bonito Bacon: Looked good, but again, I don't do fish. I'm going to go into the drinks briefly below, but even the alcohol got transformed in Wonderland. There were 3 different "drinks", all of which were good, but as I was chatting and dreating them as I was going out, the only one I vividly remember was the Lemon Drop Martini transformed into a gel and nestled into an orange rind and looking for all the world like a slice of orange. Taste was spot on even as the consistency argued with my brain.

The dining venues not represented at this event and which round out the 18 are:

Specialties: Chops, Chef's Table, Izumi (all costing extra, of course)

Casual: Windjammer (which will be more global and will have a 24 HOUR grill), Cafe @ Two70° (which judging from the menu including those awesome roast beef sandwiches is their version of Park Cafe), SeaPlex Dog House (gonna take a wild guess and assume hot dog joint), Sorrento's, Cafe Promenade, and Johnny Rockets.

In addition to all the food, they were serving pairing shots...theoretically there was one for each venue, but the severs were just kind of hovering in the vicinity and it was such an open floorplan, it was kinda hard to tell which was for what. The only I knew where it belonged was the Michael's Beer. Since these were cocktail names I didn't know, I thought I'd just throw them out there too:

Michael's Beer (pairing for Michael's Pub): Very reminiscent of Blue Moon, but somewhat richer.

Concord Caipirinha: A grape version of a drink I've had onboard...kind of a cousin to a mojito. Not a huge fan of grape flavor, but this was fine.

Mango Lassi: a vodka-based drink. Had real reservations because I keep thinking I don't like Mango, but I'm wrong every time.

Butter Popcorn Sazerac: If you've never had a sazerac, I can't really describe it, and I would never have thought that Butter Popcorn would work as a complementary flavor, but weirdly it does.

Ripped Russian: a vodka, kahlua & milk drink that tastes for all the world like an alcoholic YooHoo. Yummy.

As well as the free-flowing champagne and wine, there was also a Prosecco served as a pairing beverage for one of the venues.

At 3:30, some half an hour after the nominal ending time, I made my way back out into the cold. But, not before they gave me a goodie bag and a bottle of Quantum by Beringer in an insulated wine bag to take along. (I ate the chocolates in the goodie bag, but am saving the wine to bring on when I sail Quantum).

Anyway, that was it. I am kinda disappointed by the disappearance of traditional seating and times. OTOH, the notion that there is a restaurant specifically for us Formal Night (also going away on this ship, btw) fans, and that we can plan our meals around our tastebuds is kinda nice.

Edited by KarinaGW

Thanks for all the details. We sail on Quantum April of 15. Although I am not crazy about getting rid of the standard dining room the food sounds great and it will be a different experience sort of like our Oasis cruise when we tried many dining options. I do not think I would like it on every cruise but trying it once will be okay and I am a little more excited about it now. Thanks!

In hindsight all us CC people should have made up sticky name tags so we could see each other in person, sorta like a meet and mingle.

I am usually a picky basic eater but I tried most of the stuff and they were GOOD.

I laid off the booze since I would be driving after taking the West Side IRT from 34th up to 96th Street where the car was parked; I saw a client there in the AM. That was a loonng cold walk from Broadway up the incline to 11th against the wind.:eek::eek::eek:. After the event the wind blew me down the incline from 11th to Broadway.

My son and wife, knowing my eating habits, were shocked when I described what I had eaten. YOU ATE THAT????

Anyway, the biggest and most consistent complaint against RCI is that the food is not that great. They seem to have been listening.