Amsterdam 2015

The Amsterdam is leaving Seattle and going to San Francisco, then onto San Diego. She then goes to the Hawaiian Islands with a overnight in Honolulu, Kiribati, Samoa---Pango Pango, Fiji, Tonga, Cook Islands, Tahiti (probably an overnight in Papeete, Nuka Hiva and home. The cruise is 50 days.

I asked my Travel Agent last week and they had just received advance notification from HAL. Since I was more interested in Asia, I didn't take detailed notes. So there maybe some errors in the above. Since I had done the 30 day cruise on the Rotterdam, I thought the only new destination for us was Tonga.

Enjoyed meeting you both on the Prinsendam. We were so lucky to have such a fantastic cruise.

Edited by Storylady

The Amsterdam is leaving Seattle and going to San Francisco, then onto San Diego. She then goes to the Hawaiian Islands with a overnight in Honolulu, Kiribati, Samoa---Pango Pango, Fiji, Tonga, Cook Islands, Tahiti (probably an overnight in Papeete, Nuka Hiva and home. The cruise is 50 days.

I asked my Travel Agent last week and they had just received advance notification from HAL. Since I was more interested in Asia, I didn't take detailed notes. So there maybe some errors in the above. Since I had done the 30 day cruise on the Rotterdam, I thought the only new destination for us was Tonga.

Enjoyed meeting you both on the Prinsendam. We were so lucky to have such a fantastic cruise.

Hi, Sharon

Enjoyed your latest photos on the HALBlog a while ago. Thanks for sending them in -- we really enjoy them.

About this post: will this Amsterdam cruise still be a "Grand"?

Hi, Sharon

Enjoyed your latest photos on the HALBlog a while ago. Thanks for sending them in -- we really enjoy them.

About this post: will this Amsterdam cruise still be a "Grand"?

Thanks for the compliment. My agent said it was a Grand just not the Asia itinerary. They were do to do The Pacific, but I am surprised that they didn't include New Zealand. I might have jumped for that one.

Thanks for the compliment. My agent said it was a Grand just not the Asia itinerary. They were do to do The Pacific, but I am surprised that they didn't include New Zealand. I might have jumped for that one.

Thanks for the clarification.

I agree, NZ would be a very good addition. HAL is obviously trying to change the basic Pacific (Rim) Grand and while this is different, it is mostly an expanded Hawaii-Tahiti which they do all the time.

What I would vote for is back to what they used to do: lots of Japanese ports, China, Indonesia, skip Australia, then NZ.

Never know, maybe someday.

Thanks for the clarification.

I agree, NZ would be a very good addition. HAL is obviously trying to change the basic Pacific (Rim) Grand and while this is different, it is mostly an expanded Hawaii-Tahiti which they do all the time.

What I would vote for is back to what they used to do: lots of Japanese ports, China, Indonesia, skip Australia, then NZ.

Never know, maybe someday.

They probably will do it again next year unless they actually do Australia and New Zealand. When we heard there was no Grand Asia in 2015 we thought they meant NO Grand Voyage.

Guess they figured that everyone liked the Hawaii and Tahiti cruise plus with an extra 16 to 20 days (depending how long it takes to get from Seattle to San Diego), they could go to the Cook Islands and Tonga. The Cook Islands have been eliminated from the 30 day cruises that I have looked at. Plus, they could probably save some money fuel wise by taking longer.

The Asia cruise/2013 was a themed WWII cruise and then also sold AS a South Seas/ Scuba/Snorkling etc - There were a bunch of us interested in the WWII aspect of it -the speakers were marvelous -including a man from Amsterdam,Holland -that was a Jewish Teenager [ now 88 years old and on a walker] that brought the reality of the combination Europe/Germany war PLUS Asia -and the entire war; Years 1931 [ Japan invaded Manchuria/now Dalian] thru 1945. AND seeing the geography it covered was amazing. BUT the Captain also contended with Typhoon that was especially hard on smaller SE Asia and Philippines; several cruisers were upset that 2 ports were missed [ including one in Philippines] BUT the Capt KEPT US SAFE!!!!!!! I would HOPE that is not why they are leaving THAT area- It HAS been our 3rd major cruise thru there and a FAVORITE/History! It may be that fall is hurricane/typhoon season!

I am VERY grateful that we HAD the opportunity to do what we did in the last 14 years!!!!!!!!!!!! Asia is VERY different culturally but VERY welcoming [ we thought] These cruises were all around 72-75 days; 10 + weeks! THANK you HAL

Anne

Edited by ANSalberg

They probably will do it again next year unless they actually do Australia and New Zealand. When we heard there was no Grand Asia in 2015 we thought they meant NO Grand Voyage.

Guess they figured that everyone liked the Hawaii and Tahiti cruise plus with an extra 16 to 20 days (depending how long it takes to get from Seattle to San Diego), they could go to the Cook Islands and Tonga. The Cook Islands have been eliminated from the 30 day cruises that I have looked at. Plus, they could probably save some money fuel wise by taking longer.

Samoa, Fiji, Cook Islands aren't that much of a draw. I say that having been there and having mimimal interest in returning.

Often Raratonga is cancelled because of wind -- I think that is why they dropped it from the regular 30 day Hawaii-Tahiti.

With past Pacific Grands up to 69 (?) days, I wonder what HAL plans for the difference?

Should be interesting to see the actual itinerary.