HAL-Z Questions

Marina222

This is my first cruise with HAL. Have been on other cruises. Just started researching our trip and am a little overwhelmed. We're going on the Zuiderdzm on 10/1

Pinnacle dining- should I make a reservation before I go? Which night would be best? I probably wouldn't want to go on formal nights which I am assuming would be the second and sixth night of the week? Is the pinnacle something that we would enjoy doing twice?

Private island- I've been to Coco Cay(RCCL) and Great Stirrup Cay(NCL)and I assumed this would be more of the same---then I started reading about Cabanas and Clamshells---- We liked sitting under the palm trees on Coco Cay. Is this area larger or smaller than RCCL's. Is there a special place to go when we get on shore? I'm sure many people never bother going past the main area--Are there several beach bars and restrooms? Waiters bearing drinks?

We booked a VA balcony room on the stern of the ship? It looked to be a good cabin but I read in another post that they were narrow and perhaps not desirable? Should I be trying to change this? What are the chances of an upgrade? When would I find out if we were upgraded?

Thanks so much for the help!

Welcome to the boards. I sailed the Zuiderdam last March and loved it. We had an aft corner suite with a VA next door (5 girls sailing together, put 3 in the suite and 2 in the VA cabin). The VA balcony is long and a bit narrow, but I certainly would prefer that cabin vs. the side ones, those balconies seemed to be a bit smaller. But be aware, these are all tiered and people can look onto your verandah. This didn't bother us a bit, we still sat out there and had our coffee in our bathrobes each morning.

The Pinnacle Grill, I find, is wonderful. If you eat there the first night, its half price, $10 per person instead of the normal $20, per person plus a tip for the waiters. I would definately make reservations ahead of time if you want to eat there the first night. You can do this by calling ships services and they'll be happy to assist you.

If you haven't been to Half Moon Cay before, you are in for a treat. Its probably the most beautiful island I have been to and always the highlight of any HAL cruises. No one lives on this island, its totally different than the other so called private islands you have been to, its perfect.

Well, getting upgraded sometimes is not an upgrade. I know once, and only once did I ever get upgraded on HAL, I had an inside cabin mid-ship, HAL wanted to upgrade me to an outside cabin, it was an upgrade but I didn't care for the location of the outside cabin so I stuck to my inside cabin mid-ship and was perfectly happy with that choice. So be careful, sometimes its an upgrade in category, but the location can leave alot to be desired.

Hope this helps, any other questions, please ask away.

We cruising the Zuiderdam two weeks later (10/15-10-22) and have booked cabin 5182. We like the stern view and I definitely like a bigger balcony. I do not think you should be too worried about the cabin width. I do not think that it will be too different that the port or starboard cabins. Besides, how much time do you spend in the room anyway!

As for HMC, we were there in 2000 (unfortunately, our 2003 cruise did not make it to HMC)...it is an incredible island with some of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. There is shade to be found without booking a cabanna...I am looking forward to staking out a hammock.

As for the Pinnacle...I can't really comment. We normally dine in the main dining hall for our dinner and never found the need to book the Pinnacle.

This is my first cruise with HAL. Have been on other cruises. Just started researching our trip and am a little overwhelmed. We're going on the Zuiderdzm on 10/1

Pinnacle dining- should I make a reservation before I go? Which night would be best? I probably wouldn't want to go on formal nights which I am assuming would be the second and sixth night of the week? Is the pinnacle something that we would enjoy doing twice?

Private island- I've been to Coco Cay(RCCL) and Great Stirrup Cay(NCL)and I assumed this would be more of the same---then I started reading about Cabanas and Clamshells---- We liked sitting under the palm trees on Coco Cay. Is this area larger or smaller than RCCL's. Is there a special place to go when we get on shore? I'm sure many people never bother going past the main area--Are there several beach bars and restrooms? Waiters bearing drinks?

We booked a VA balcony room on the stern of the ship? It looked to be a good cabin but I read in another post that they were narrow and perhaps not desirable? Should I be trying to change this? What are the chances of an upgrade? When would I find out if we were upgraded?

Thanks so much for the help!

Marina222,

Glad to see another cruiser sailing Oct.1st on Zuiderdam. Just to let you know, we have now had 15 couples post that they are sailing on this cruise. Check the "For those sailing Oct. 1st on Zuiderdam" thread on this board and the "Zuiderdam 10/01/05 thread on the HAL Roll Call board. We are in the process of getting together a list of Cruise Critic posters that are interested in participating in a meet-and-greet party of some kind. It would take place onboard sometime after departure at a location to be announced. Let us know if you would like to be included.

I ditto everything that Doone posted in answer to your questions, but with one addition. All of the cabanas have been booked. So, my suggestion would be to place your self on the waiting list for one if you so desire and book a clam shell just in case.

Richard & Judie

We did the Pinnacle twice on the Z-Dam a while back, on both formal nights. We chose the formal nights as we wanted a table for 2. Really enjoyed it the first night, but having the same menu for both meals made it less appealing. Food better than in the dining room, but not by much.

Marina, welcome to the HAL board! Ah, the joys of anticipation for a cruise are always a mixed bag. :) But, that's also half the fun! :)

Personally, I've never had trouble making reservations while aboard. I usually make them a day in advance, if possible, though I've actually managed to make reservations just a couple of hours ahead of time, too. Formal nights on a 7-day cruise are usually the first day at sea and the second to the last night of the cruise.

I've never been to RCCL or NCL's Islands, so I cannot compare. There are many areas on the Island, with a large main area with shopping, services, and a great big bar. There's the "I could stay here forever" bar, which is a favorite. There's the dining area, where there's loads of food to consume. Lots and lots to do other than the beach ... and, of course, there's the beach, which is lovely.

Check out some pictures from my last stop at HMC last October during my cruise on the Z-Dam (Zaandam, not Zuiderdam):

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/panamacanal/PhotoAlbum37.html

And, above all, have a blast!

Oh, and just a note ... please ... be careful about "Z-Dam" references. There are two ships in the HAL fleet that begin with Z, the Zaandam and the Zuiderdam. Before the launch of the Zuiderdam the Zaandam was called "Z-Dam." Hence, confusion can be a problem. :)

Archived