Getaway vs RCCL Oasis?

Cruznjuly

Trying to compare these two ships, and convince family we need to cruise again next summer and try a new line.

Anyone cruised both ships, and can tell me pros and cons?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

read the reviews of getaway in the forums. Just search for "getaway". There aren't a lot yet since the ship is so new.

You can also search for "royal", "RCCL" or "RCI" and find lots of posts comparing Royal Caribbean to NCL in general.

If you don't try something new, how will you know what your favorites are?

We went on the Allure (sister ship) two years ago. I don't know the ages of the kids you might be traveling with but there are no slides or any extras on those ships except the Flowrider and the tiny tiny zip line. Our son is almost 12 and is looking forward to real water slides and the other goodies like ropes course, walk the plank, nickelodeon on board, etc.

Also to us the Allure is just so big you lose that true cruise feel cause it's almost "too mega".

A cruise is what you make it and we did enjoy ourselves. I just wish that RCCL would start putting true water slides on these new ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've cruise on both.

Personally I found Oasis to be a breathtaking ship which makes Getaway look small! However they are quite different products and not easy to directly compare.

NCL wins on dining choices/flexibility, but Oasis is an amazing design. Both are child friendly. Both have excellent shows.

There's more to a ship than a few water slides! Oasis has wonderful “Wow” spaces such as the Royal Promenade (internal street) Central Park, The Boardwalk, The Aqua and Studio-B Ice Rink. NCL have none, due to packing every inch of the ship with revenue generating restaurants and bars.

I bet you spend less on-board an RCCL than you would on an NCL ship.

Everyone should try Oasis or Alure!

Be Brave - try something new!

Edited by London-Calling

I agree with the previous posters. We did Allure last year and loved her. We are doing Getaway this year. We looked at both Oasis and Getaway and decided that the water slides and ropes course were what we wanted. Over the flow rider and splash park.

We do spend more on NCL than we spend on RCCL. But the starting price is also less for NCL. I think of it as a la cart pricing. You want extras, specialty dinning, ice bar, dinner theater you are going to pay for it. Don't want that then you won't have to pay.

Hi Cruznjuly,

If you can sail in a suite on either ship pick the Getaway. If you are sailing in a regular room, pick Allure.

I've done Allure twice: first with my own kids (now 16 & 13) in a suite, and they loved it so much we persuaded 3 generations of extended family (20 people) to join us with kids ages 8, 12, 13, 13 and 16. On that second trip the three sets of parents upgraded to suites with adjoining kids cabins.

I agree with everyone above about the positives of the Allure/Oasis. I'd mention the Rising Tide Bar, that is a room sized elevator bar. The kids loved that, and the bartenders are really nice to kids and keep the Shirley Temples flowing while they go up and down 3 flights. Suite life on Allure was nice, lots of perks: Priority tendering, private Suite beach on Labadee, Concierge lounge with coffee, soda and alcohol for free at various points of the day, private sit down breakfast & lunch in Portofinos with optional buffet access. The kids club and teen activities can't be beat. The physical space of the ship is lots of WOW and I prefer the jogging/walking track & fitness center on Allure to all other ships. The speciality restaurants are good, especially 150 Central Park. Allure beats all other ships on quiet adult spaces, not just the adult pool, but quiet places scattered around the ship, inside and out.

My extended family previously had a horrible experience on the NCL Gem to Bermuda. My immediate family just took a chance on the Getaway and we are NCL converts, AS LONG AS YOU SAIL ON AN NCL SHIP WITH A HAVEN IN A SUITE. Getaway Haven suite life is 10 times better than Allure's and we love the Allure.

We just got off the Getaway on March 29, 214 where we sailed in a 2 bed/2bath family Suite in the Haven. Some NCL ships have suites, but no Haven, or suites without Haven access. The Haven is THE Suite perk that makes all the difference, don't do a suite on NCL without Haven access. With Haven access you have a butler, steward, concierge, and a separate, private part of the ship with a bar, restaurant, outdoor cafe seating, small spa, sauna, small fitness room, pool, 2 hot tubs and massive private deck space with a variety of sun, shade and ocean views. You have reserved seating in the Theater and Illusionarium without having to line up early. You can get restaurant and excursion reservations virtually any time. You get priority embarkation and debarkation, both of which are much better than Allure. Your buter delivers treats to your room every day. No butlers on Allure. The concierge on Allure is nice, but only one person, and not on duty all day. There are three concierges on Getaway, so someone is always on duty. The private restaurant is excellent, much better than the MDR on the Getaway, and equal to Portofinos on Allure. The bar in the Haven is better than the Allure, but the drinks are full price. Free drinks in the Allure concierge lounge (when they are available) are a nice perk. The best part of the Haven is the private pool, hot tubs, sun deck. The suite seating on the Allure is on the main pool deck, with no shade and no privacy, Getaway beats Allure by a mile on this point.

The downside to Getaway is outside the Haven. There is no wow anywhere on this ship. It's a nice ship, but the ceilings are low, and it's dark. Even with the Getaway's outside access on the Waterfront, which is nice, the Allure has better connection to the outdoors and the ocean. The Allure feels spacious and open, the Getaway feels cramped.

There is very little shopping on the Getaway: Duty Free, Jewelry, Alcohol, Cameras, and a small Gift shop. That's it. Allure has fun shopping spread out over the ship. I wouldn't pick a ship based on shopping since it's not important to me, but it's a noticeable difference.

The slides are great on Getaway, and the other outdoor activities are too. My kids thoughts on the difference here: They enjoyed Allure's outdoor spaces, but they've done them twice. It's nice to have something new to do and Getaway was different enough, and high quality enough to be great for them.

I would eagerly sail on both ships again. You'll have a great time on both.

I'll disagree with some of the previous options about Oasis... While it is a beautiful ship I found that you lose that connection to the ocean which is one of the key reasons I enjoy cruising. Areas such as Central Park and the Promenade are unique but it made me feel like I could be in a courtyard of any hotel or at my local mall. DH and I enjoyed our Oasis cruise but it wont' be on our first choice for our next RCI cruise.

In terms of cost we actually spent MORE on our Oasis cruise than any other cruise we've been on. Probably had to do with the Vintages bar (great wine selection) on Oasis that tipped the scales. I don't agree that you'd spend more (or less) on NCL, it really comes down to your spending habits.

IMO both are great ships but Breakaway has more of the connection to the ocean. If I had a choice I'd be on Breakaway in a heartbeat.

It's really up to what you find most appealing and what your idea of a good vacation is. Enjoy! :)

I'm wondering about this myself. Having recently gotten off Getaway, my son has declared Getaway to be the best ship ever and said that every Spring Break we are going to go on Getaway. I wonder about Oasis/Allure though, and kind of figure that we have to try it at least once.

Seems to me that there are more outdoor activities for kids on Getaway. My son (7) loved the ropes course, and both he and my daughter (5) couldn't get enough of the water slides and the mini golf. They are still talking about the mini golf over a week later. They would probably not get much enjoyment out of the Flow Rider.

I'm wondering if the entertainment shows on Oasis are better though. I know there is a water show and an ice show that they would really love.

I guess what it comes down to is how important the ropes course and water slides are, and at their age, I'm guessing they would choose Getaway.

I do agree that Getaway really lacks the "wow" spectacles that seem particularly amazing on Oasis.