RSSC v. Oceania ... Oceania fans, give me your advice

U24Erin

We've sailed RSSC and loved it. Beautiful ships, great food, good service, well designed excursions. Now, we're thinking about trying Oceania in the Mediterranean. Why? RSSC seems to be experiencing price-creep (a result of winning in too many polls) and I find their cruise choices kinda of limiting - too many 7 night cruises (too short) and frequent port duplication when you look at booking back-to-back sailings.

So, why Oceania? How do they compare with RSSC? In food? In cabins? In service? Does Oceania include gratutities in their rate? How about wine with meals? I like what I've read but need convincing...

Guest Jancruz

Erin someone bumped up the thread the luxury group of four for you to read..it is very interesting

Jan:)

cruzunlimiited

We, too, are RSSC fans, having sailed with them the last three summers, but we have decided to give Oceania a try in 2006. We are not defecting, just branching out, because of RSSC's limited itineraries. I made the decision based on our priorities, which is what everyone has to do. I researched all the luxury lines, including Crystal, Silverseas and Seabourne. What WE wanted was open seating, a smaller ship, and country club casual (which we enjoyed to no end on the Mariner in Alaska and the PG). We would have preferred no tipping and a bit more all inclusive but we could forfeit them. We are not big drinkers so our drink bill will not be huge at all but my husband hated the one formal night (and he only wore a dark suit!) we had on the Voyager in the Baltics and I hated listening to him complain. As it happens, tipping is not included on Oceania but my travel agent has informed me that because her agency has so many cabins booked on Oceania, that our tips will be included. I don't know the details - I just said thank you. We booked a PH on the Nautica, which we think will bring us to comparable accommodations that we had on RSSC, where we always booked a larger suite than the basic one. And we love Oceania's "off the beaten path" itineraries. We can't wait to go!

We are generally Celebrity cruisers and decided to try Oceania for something different. I think it is like comparing apples to oranges IMO. Smaller ships, open seating, no formal nights (we enjoy formal nights, but are looking forward to this). My TA highly recommended it.

Guest Jancruz

Once people sail Oceania, they are usually hooked on its ambiance, excellent food aand casual atmosphere...that is why you can not usually get space close up on these ships and if you want a certain cabin be sure to book early..I have sailed on Oceania 10 times and am always happy to answer all questions..

Jancruz, can you tell me more about the ambiance and casual atmosphere? We are a couple mid fortys, working class people looking for a fabulous cruise to celebrate our 10th anniversary next year. My husbands style of dress is so casual he already dreads thinking he has to dress up when we go on a cruise. No formal nights?? What is the average age of people on this cruise line?

We have been on Crystal, Silver Seas, and many other lines, and we tried Oceania and are in love with it. The size, the service, the staff, the accommodations--what a wonderful line. The only improvement would be the tour service. I highly suggest you try it.

Guest Jancruz
Jancruz, can you tell me more about the ambiance and casual atmosphere? We are a couple mid fortys, working class people looking for a fabulous cruise to celebrate our 10th anniversary next year. My husbands style of dress is so casual he already dreads thinking he has to dress up when we go on a cruise. No formal nights?? What is the average age of people on this cruise line?

Hi Lv2cruz,

This is a very special cruise line..I have been on most ships and find Oceania to be very different..no matter what your age everyone is friendly and ready to make new friends in addition to be ing well traveled..My husband, Stu, never takes a sport jacket and always feels comfortable..we are from California and live at the beach..so he is used to wearing shorts every day at home..on the ship he does wear long pants (shorts are not allowed in the dining room and rightly so) ..we usually have dinner with the Captain once during the cruise and Stu never feels underdressed without a jacket..

The average age is older than you are..but that is just and average and I know you will love this line..

Archived