Harwich to London Train

I am arriving at Harwich on Wed May 14 on the Brilliance. Is it necessary or advisable to buy a train ticket ahead of time? The prices vary widely. Do they change over time getting more expensive closer to the departure date?

If I buy a ticket ahead of time, is it reasonable to expect to catch an 8:30 am train?

Hi Carol

Don't know if you remember me, but you helped me a lot on the east coast board a few years ago; so now to return the favour.

The Harwich - London train is essentially a commuter train. You could probably save a bit by booking ahead, but will save more if you go for a train after 0930 (this is off peak). However, it depends what you are doing after disembark as to what is best for you. Are you stopping in London, going to LHR or what? This info will help us give you better advice.

Simon

I'm so glad I was able to help you on the east coast board!

I just booked this cruise and am scrambling to put all the pieces together. We dock in Harwich on Wed May 14. I am staying two days in London and am flying out at 5 pm on May 16. So I'm not in any rush the day of arrival to catch a flight. I Hotwired a room and got The California near St. Pancras, which sounds like a funky interesting hotel in a Georgian townhouse row. My plan is to take the underground from Liverpool Street Station to St Pancras and walk the two blocks to the hotel. When I leave I will take the underground from St Pancras to Heathrow. Supposedly both stations are accessible, which should help with my carry on luggage.

I'm also trying to figure out the Oyster Card. I've been to almost all the big London attractions, so I was thinking I would take advantage of the daily price cap and ride the buses and just hop on and off as I like. I'm really just starting to compile a list of potential destinations.

In that case I would go for the first train after 0930 which leaves at 0933. To be honest, for the amount you are going to save, I would just get a walk up ticket at the station. You can buy an off peak ticket before 0930. The previous train leaves at 0903, so anytime after that should be OK.

If you are using the tube, get your Oyster card at Liverpool St station before you get on it. Remember, any money you have on it (plus the £5 deposit) will be refunded at LHR when you go home (don't forget to visit a ticket office to do that). St Pancras and LHR tube stations are definately accesible...not sure about Liverpool St. If you change your mind and decide to grab a cab, its about 2 miles...probably about £10.

As to trips...have you thought about going to Greenwich for the day? You can go by DLR one way and come back on boat trip. Whilst there, visit the Royal Observatory (the centre of Greenwich Mean Time) and stand with one foot in the west and one in the east (everyone does!!), National Maritime Museum, Queens House, The Cutty Sark etc...just a thought.

Simon

Edited by sddsddean

I've thought about going to Greenwich and will look at that trip more closely. A lot is going to depend on the weather. I've never been up the London Eye, but I'm not going to prepurchase a ticket for that. I've also never been to Harrod's.

I think I'll just wing it at Harwich. Thanks for the info.

Carol ~

Yes, you can save a fair amount by purchasing your train ticket online. The standard "anytime" fare (i.e., the walk-up ticket price) from Harwich International to London Liverpool Street is £31.90 (= more than $50). Right now, for your particular date, the National Rail website is showing an advance purchase fare of £20.50 (roughly $35) for the 9:33 train, £13.00 (roughly $22) for the 10:33, and £11.00 (roughly $18) for the 11:33.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/HPQ/London/140514/0830/dep

(Note: According to that page, regular "off-peak" tickets are even more expensive than "anytime" tickets!)

The Oyster Card should work out as the easiest and cheapest option for London buses and the Underground.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/tube-dlr-lo-adult-fares-jan-2014.pdf

At Liverpool St. station you can get down to the Underground platform via a combination of escalators and lifts. At St. Pancras/King's Cross (all one Underground station complex), there are a number of elevators (lifts) up to street level; any one will do.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/avoiding-stairs-tube-guide.pdf

By the way, be sure to pop into the St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel and take a quick look around--they've really done wonders restoring the place.

I agree with everything Simon says about visiting Greenwich!

Thank you.

Do you have any feel for whether I can make an 8:30 train? I have sailed from Harwich and know that the station is right there. Other cruisers on my roll call are talking about getting picked up at 7 or 7:30 am. The ship is coming from

the Brugge port.

Thank you.

Do you have any feel for whether I can make an 8:30 train? I have sailed from Harwich and know that the station is right there. Other cruisers on my roll call are talking about getting picked up at 7 or 7:30 am. The ship is coming from

the Brugge port.

Carol ~

I haven't sailed out of, or into, Harwich, so I don't have anything to go on re. disembarkation times other than my gut instinct.

Personally, if I were booking ahead, I'd feel more comfortable opting for a later train. Given a choice, DW & I would probably go for the 10:33.

(Apart from the considerations of ship arrival time/disembarkation time involved in deciding which train to take... I expect the hotel would be able to store your luggage if you arrive in London early & your room isn't ready, but you never know.)

I've never been up on the London Eye either. I have been to Harrods--but I was 12 years old at the time!:D

Thank you.

the Brugge port.

You probably could get the 0830 train, but like I said, this is really a commuter train so will be fairly crowded, especially as you get closer to London. Also, I forgot to mention that you will have to change trains at Manningtree (only the 0903 is a direct service). Not a real problem, as you just have to cross the platform. You could get the 0903, but this is twice as expensive as any other train, because its direct. Decisions, decisions!!

Simon

Hi Simon,

Just come across your post. Thank you it is very useful. I have tried to ask on the forum regarding how to get from Harwich to London by train and one person replied to say he has just booked and it's quite straight forward! I don't know why he bothered to reply as I wouldn't have asked if I knew it was straight forward. So your post is informative thanks. I have not had to use public transport for a long time so I thought I ought to be certain. Can I confirm that I need to book on line for the 933 which is off peak and there is one change at Manningtree? how easy is it to manage the change? do they leave enough time. I saw the cheap fares on line but they said you must get the correct train so for me that's the tricky bit (pardon my tardiness). Your help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

PS I also her a lot of people use Oyster card, is it better to buy one as opposed to getting a single from Liverpool street to Waterloo and onwards to Surrey where I live? Thank you

Hi Simon,

Just come across your post. Thank you it is very useful. I have tried to ask on the forum regarding how to get from Harwich to London by train and one person replied to say he has just booked and it's quite straight forward! I don't know why he bothered to reply as I wouldn't have asked if I knew it was straight forward. So your post is informative thanks. I have not had to use public transport for a long time so I thought I ought to be certain. Can I confirm that I need to book on line for the 933 which is off peak and there is one change at Manningtree? how easy is it to manage the change? do they leave enough time. I saw the cheap fares on line but they said you must get the correct train so for me that's the tricky bit (pardon my tardiness). Your help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

PS I also her a lot of people use Oyster card, is it better to buy one as opposed to getting a single from Liverpool street to Waterloo and onwards to Surrey where I live? Thank you

If you want to book online, the first off peak train will be the 0933. If you use the National Rail website http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search and plug in your journey, that normally gives you the cheapest fare available. If you don't, you can always buy your ticket on the day.

Harwich - London is easy at Manningtree..you walk from one side of the platform to the other..about 30 feet (London - Harwich would mean going through the subway...13 steps down and 13 up). Trains are timed to more or less meet, so you should have time. If you are only doing one trip, its not really worth having an Oyster card. If you have too much luggage to haul up and down the tube, a cab would only be about £7.

Simon