Book club selection for Grand Princess

secretcastle

We will be on the April 28th sailing on the Grand to Hawaii for 15 nights, and I am trying to figure out which book selection to go with for the book club, would it be April, as the cruise starts in April, or May, as most of the trip is in May? We have a long journey to get to the port so I thought it would be nice to have the book in advance.

Thank you all you wonderful and helpful CC people :)

I believe the selection is for the sailing date and thus your cruise would have the April book. But to be honest, I'm not 100% sure. I've found the book club on Princess very lackluster with the person from the CD's staff haven't read the book, few people showing up, meetings at odd times, no enough books available for those who want to read it onboard, etc. I've given up. :( What I have been to are book clubs organized by the roll call where those on the roll call decide on a book, read it in advance, and meet at afternoon tea on a sea day. LOTS more fun as you get to know the people you've been chatting with for weeks or months better.

I believe the selection is for the sailing date and thus your cruise would have the April book. But to be honest, I'm not 100% sure. I've found the book club on Princess very lackluster with the person from the CD's staff haven't read the book, few people showing up, meetings at odd times, no enough books available for those who want to read it onboard, etc. I've given up. :( What I have been to are book clubs organized by the roll call where those on the roll call decide on a book, read it in advance, and meet at afternoon tea on a sea day. LOTS more fun as you get to know the people you've been chatting with for weeks or months better.

Thanks Pam, that makes a lot of sense :)

no enough books available for those who want to read it onboard, etc.

Pam - do most people want to start the book on the cruise? I'd have to read it before. I don't want to be tied down to reading a book on the cruise. In general, I like reading books on ships, but I don't want to HAVE to do anything. I prefer going with whatever mood strikes me.

Pam - do most people want to start the book on the cruise? I'd have to read it before. I don't want to be tied down to reading a book on the cruise. In general, I like reading books on ships, but I don't want to HAVE to do anything. I prefer going with whatever mood strikes me.
Times have changed with more people now using e-book readers. I know that when I'm tempted to join the ship's book club, I download it to my iPad Mini first. But there are still a lot of people who use the ship's library and get the book there. Either they don't have the time, don't know what the book is or don't have access to a library book before the cruise. Some people really enjoy book discussions and are willing to spend the time reading the book. I LOVE my local book club and while I sometimes have a hard time slogging through the month's book, I always enjoy the discussion whether I loved or hated the book. Gets my brain cells working. :)

Now, back to forcing myself to read and finish my book club selection before Tuesday. It's a struggle. :)

Sometimes the ship doesn't get copies of the book announced on the Princess website so they substitute another book they have on board. Really annoying for those that spent money purchasing the book before the cruise, hating the book, and then not even being able to discuss it. (do I sound a tad bitter?) So far every Princess book club meeting I've been to has a CD staff member there to greet people and then leaves because they haven't read the book. How hard is it to get one person on staff to read a novel and then look up discussion topics? Princess should discontinue the program if they are not willing to devote the staff to it IMHO.

Jackie

Edited by jsiegel
type