Mahogany Bay - how far from ship to beach?

Traveling_Dragon

We'll be docking on a Carnival ship in Roatan and we're not there for all that long so we've decided we just want a simple beach day.

Can someone tell me how far a walk it is from the ship to the Mahogany Bay beach? I know they offer a chair lift, but prefer not to spend $ on something like that. however, I do have a little problem for walking very long distances.

Also - with such a short time available (maybe 5 hours between getting off and when we have to embark) - any other suggestions for a simple beach day that doesn't take too long to get to nor costs a lot of $? Would love to find a non-crowded beach that has facilities available for when nature calls - just a place to chill.

Thanks!

Roatans o' Fun Dragon

We were just there in March.You do not need the chair lift . It is an easy walk...We did not actually go down to the beach as we did a tour on our own and walked out the gate and down the hill to the meeting point..Most everyone agrees West Bay beach is the nicest, but about a 30-40 minute ride from Mahogany and taxis are not cheap. This is why a lot of people opt for the tour guide/driver for the day deals.I hate for anyone who has not seen Roatan to just stay at Mahogany. There are a lot of options, but not much real close.

You can probably haggle a driver for maybe $40 round trip for 2 people. If yo do this arrange your pickup time and pay AFTER you are returned. This photo is at Argentine Grill on West Bay beach, near Foster's. Hard to find info on it, but it is definitely there. We paid $10 PP for beach chairs with shade. Very nice spot. Beer was decent price and good food..

SANY2343.jpg

upload an image

SANY2354.jpg

image url upload

Edited by overthehillcruiser

Get off the ship here:

P5150540-L.jpg

Walk to the port:

P5150547-L.jpg

Go to the right and follow the path

IMG_0521-L.jpg

IMG_0518-L.jpg

Up and over the bridge

IMG_0522-L.jpg

Picture taken from the ship looking over toward the bridge and Mahogany Bay beach area

P5150549-L.jpg