snorkel or not?

tutuwahineLV

Looking for any opinions from those of you who have been adventurous enough to snorkel in Alaska. Did you enjoy it or was it too cold? would you do it again??

I'm considering it during our next cruise, but am still undecided. The promotional pics and video look amazing, but I'd also like to hear from someone who has firsthand information.

so, yay or nay? life is an adventure, go for it! or don't waste my $$??

Thanks for any recommendations you have.

Tutu

If they provide a wetsuit or better yet, a drysuit, then you should be warm enough... Lots of us dive down here in Seattle area, and the water temps aren't all that much different. Our dive club has a bunch of folks that dive Alaska regularly, too.

As far as what you can see, oh yes it would be worth it... Cold waters host a huge variety of life, just as colorful and gorgeous as any tropical reef.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My daughter and I went on this tour last year. It was good. The colors are not like in the Caribbean but there were fish, starfish and interesting plants. They provide good equipment and are very helpful. I had never been in a wetsuit before and found it to be really difficult to get on and uncomforable (I am 70). My daughter did not have that problem as she is a scuba diver and has used wetsuits before. I would recommend this tour for adventurous people.

We did this excursion two years ago and enjoyed it - we still proudly wear our "Snorkel Alaska" ball caps with pride (particularly when on a Caribbean snorkel excursion;) ). You are swimming in a relatively small area but there were many different critters and plants which kept it all very interesting. You'll get a 7-mil wetsuit, hood, gloves and booties which provide good coverage and we thought the gear was clean and in good repair. The great thing with the thick neoprene suit is that you are wearing a giant floatation device which makes things more relaxing.

Before I bought a drysuit, I did all my diving in Puget Sound in a 7mm wetsuit and never had any problems with cold. And I can vouch for neoprene being a great flotation device - unless you're wearing weights you will really have to work to get down...

Here's a chart of average temps at Anchorage and Juneau. Juneau temps are roughly the same as ours in Seattle.

http://www.currentresults.com/Oceans/Temperature/alaska-average-water-temperature.php

Jim

In Ketchikan your pick up and drop off is at the pier so you get a little sight seeing and do pass the Totem Bright center on the way to the shop. You will have a small walk from the final shuttle parking lot to the snorkel site but just take it slow if you worry about footing and you'll be fine. Hope you get nice weather for your adventure!

It was one of the several highlights of our Alaska trip. We are avid snorkelers, having explored the Caribbean Sea, the Red Sea, the Great Barrier Reef and several dozen other locations in between. And this was a hit because it was unique -- not only because we can say that we snorkeled in Alaska (!), but also the underwater life was SO DIFFERENT from what we see in tropical oceans. Amazing translucent jellyfish that swim up against your gloved hands, unusual starfish in colour shades that were so unexpected ... even the seaweed was interesting!

Highly recommend it. As others have said, cold is not really an issue because you are in 6 or 7 mm suits including gloves, booties and head masks. We took our own snorkel masks but used all the other gear that was provided. You could use their masks if you don't want to take your own.

I took this adventure a few years back and it is still one of my favorite memories. This is a wade-in snorkle so had time to adjust and learn the wet suit. Anemones, many forms of starfish and a magical swim through a kelp forest stand out.

The joy of having someone pour warm water down my suit while a second helper handed me hot cocoa was a nice end to the snorkel.

The biggest problem I remember was trying to operate my camera with the gloves on. Practice this at home with your bulky gloves when deciding which underwater camera to bring.

I wore my Snorkel Alaska T-shirt in Thailand, Tahiti and Australia to many thumbs-up. I should have gotten two.