Solo Open Seating Dinner

Sarah@Sea

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no! I didn't know "What did you do today?" was a conversation starter. I've been asked that question and have given a quick short reply because I didn't want to hog the conversation talking about me. Next time I'm asked that question, I will actually answer it briefly and ask about their day.

I also tried YTD and assigned late seating as a solo cruiser. I got mixed feelings as to which is better. When I'm seated at a table with other solo/single cruisers, it's usually great. But when I'm seated with a family or group, I feel like I'm invading their privacy. In YTD, I've gotten invitation to join other tables so I won't "be alone" which is kind of uncomfortable because I actually want to be alone sometimes and some people don't believe me. Also, in YTD, I have not receive faster service because my waiter serves me at the same time he serves a nearby table like if we were at the same table. But dinning alone is great way to relax, reflect and enjoy my kindle fire while I am waiting for food.

You can't predict what will happen, so no matter what I choose, I will make the best of it and enjoy myself.

Ok, I'm back from my Carnival Freedom 8-day cruise, traveling solo, and dining solo, and am reporting back, as promised!

I had chosen the "early" dinner of 6 p.m. and just let Carnival pick where they wanted to sit me. It ended up they sat me at a large, round table in the middle of the dining room, with other solo diners. It actually turned out to be just the 4 of us (total) and the rest of the table remained empty. We sat with a chair between us to offer space and we weren't crowded. The only problem in that configuration was sometimes we had to speak louder to each other to hear. Two of my dinner companions were also traveling solo, but the third (a man in his 20s) was actually traveling with his mother and aunt, but since he booked his cruise later than them, he couldn't sit at their table, so Carnival treated him as a solo traveler and put him at our table. It all worked out fine. There were 2 women and 2 men (the other man was in his 40s), with me being the oldest (49) at the table. The woman was 30 and quite pretty, nice, and a talker. Whenever the table encountered a quiet lull, she started talking about whatever and kept us entertained. I felt completely comfortable, even with my shyness, and was able to add to the conversations if I wanted.

The waitstaff treated us all wonderfully and gave the same service to us as they did to the other tables. The only uncomfortable moments that I had were when the traveling photographers came around to the table. They kept wanting to take pictures of us "couples." They didn't realize that we were not together. No big deal, we all just said no thanks and they left.

All of the other times I dined on the ship, I ate from one of the many buffets or grabbed pizza. I sat at a table by myself and either watched other people while I ate, watched out the window at the passing ocean, or I read my book. I tried to pay attention to how others were viewing me, being by myself, etc., but I honestly don't think I received anymore attention than anyone else received. Seriously, it was very, very common to see people sitting by themselves eating alone...and the vast majority of them were not reading. Personally, I think that there are so many people and so many other activities going on that no one really pays much attention to a solo diner. It seems that everyone is so intent on getting their abundance of food and hunting down a table that they look right through you. They see a "body" sitting at a table, which registers that that table is occupied, and they walk on past, with no expression on their faces other than to find an empty table.

In a nutshell, I found that I was worried about nothing. No one paid me any attention and I was as comfortable eating alone on the ship (and in port) as I am when I eat alone at a restaurant here at home. It's no big deal in this day and age.

So, go forth all solo travelers, eat your fill, and pay no nevermind to your worries or cares, as no one else is, either! :D

Maggie

Maggie (Seagull7),

Welcome Back! I'm glad to read that you had a great time. Thanks for posting about your positive experiences with the assigned early dining as a solo.

I cruise in 10 days! :D I will also come back to share my experiences with YTD as a solo. We shall see if A) I like YTD, B) If I join others or sit alone, and C) If I switch to assigned LATE dining!:eek:

Thanks for posting' date=' Maggie! I agree with you; I didn't feel out of place eating alone at the buffet or pizzeria. It was only awkward in the MDR at dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote']

Would you do the Main dining room again?

I'm leaving in 10 days and I'm getting nervous about this solo gig...I did get moved from the wait list to late seating so I'm hoping they sit me at a table with solo diners as I think it will be easy to converse with other solo travelers verses families...I will not bring my nook the first night and just "dive right in" and see how it goes!

I'm also a tad nervous about solo excursions; feeling like the fifth wheel...anyone have some encouraging words? In the keys I'm doing paddle boarding so that is fine but in the cayman islands i'm doing a 6 hours jeep/beach tour where certainly i will be shoved in a jeep with a family...

I'd love to hear some feedback!

Thanks!

I'm leaving in 10 days and I'm getting nervous about this solo gig...I did get moved from the wait list to late seating so I'm hoping they sit me at a table with solo diners as I think it will be easy to converse with other solo travelers verses families...I will not bring my nook the first night and just "dive right in" and see how it goes!

I'm also a tad nervous about solo excursions; feeling like the fifth wheel...anyone have some encouraging words? In the keys I'm doing paddle boarding so that is fine but in the cayman islands i'm doing a 6 hours jeep/beach tour where certainly i will be shoved in a jeep with a family...

Thanks!

I have done several excursions solo, including on my last sailing a week ago. I will tell you "my" personal experiences, as others have probably had different ones. I've done snorkeling, helmet diving, group tours, and just gone out walking on my own. I've gotten mixed attention and honestly can't pin it down to a specific activity. On my snorkeling trips, everyone is in the water doing their own thing, so it's really no big deal. The only time it was even noticed or mentioned was on the boat traveling out to the snorkeling site. Someone might ask why I'm by myself (a little forward of them, I know!) and I just simply explain that my husband had no desire to go. I think your response can be as detailed or as little as you like. On my last cruise, another woman on the same boat was also going it alone and she said that her girlfriend that she was traveling with wasn't feeling good, so she was going by herself. When going on an excursion with a "group" you have to remember that they group everyone together so you'll have couples, families, and solos all traveling on the same excursion together. I have had some people talk to me, just making conversation, and I've also had others just ignore me. Yes, sometimes I felt like a third-wheel, but I didn't let that stop me from enjoying myself! You just have to remind yourself WHY you've taken that excursion and let yourself get into it (i.e., the sights, sounds, experience, etc.) and just ignore everyone else. I mean, seriously, who really cares? YOU are on this vacation for YOURSELF so what does it matter what anyone else thinks? It's not like you're going to be seeing these people again, you know? Use this time to explore what YOU want to and enjoy that you don't have to cater to anyone else with you.

Good luck and embrace your independence! :D

I entirely agree with Seagull7. I choose excursions that I want to do, just like I choose the cruise itinerary I want to do. You have to go with the assumption no one will talk to you, that's the price of travelling solo, but in reality it rarely happens. If someone is forward enough to ask why I'm on my own I tell them - the chances are that will lead to a conversation and a new friend for the day, or even the cruise. My excursions have mainly been in Europe so far (I get to man up for the water sports adventures in the Caribbean for the first time in October!) so they tend to involve coach trips, so there is time to talk to those sat near you. Sometimes you are the odd one out, but most times it's a group activity and you're just one of the crowd. Just go with the flow and enjoy it either way and I'm sure you'll have a great time :)

Hi Maggie, glad you had a good cruise:) and yes, most people are very

much "into their own vacation" they could care less if someone else

is dining solo or even cruising solo for that matter.

Glad you had fun:D

Thanks!

Hi Jane:)......I agree with the previous posters. I have been sailing

solo for 11 years and I normally choose excursions that appeal to me.

When booking through the cruiseline? It is a nice way to meet other

people. Why would you think you will be "certainly shoved in a jeep

with a family"?.......That might not even be the scenerio.....I have

gone on many excursions where there have been other folks but

not necessarily a family.....maybe couples, or maybe 1/2...like the

wife is doing your excursion but the husband is choosing to do

something else. Or maybe other solo cruisers? Ship sponsored

excursions don't usually have a "specific type" of people. And even

if it is a family? Maybe they will be some of the nicest people!

Try to look at it with a sense of adventure, instead of trepidation.

Maybe it will be more fun than you ever expected:D And most

excursions? "The 5th wheel" category really doesn't apply as

it is usually multiple people....so, it is not like you are going with

a honeymoon couple on their own private tour;).....it is a group.

Hope this helps you a bit and I hope you have a great time:)

Would you do the Main dining room again?

After the first night I was able to join a table with others, which was a lot of fun. I don't think I would do solo dinner in the MDR again. At least not on RCI. It seems very few people eat alone for dinner.

Edited by Ramblin' Ma'am

• 2 months later...
Just FYI, I normally cruise on NCL and never have a problem getting a table by myself (which is my preference).

I have always tried to get seating at the 8 top tables or requested seating with other solo travelers. They keep putting me at tables with couples who may or may not show up. One night it was me and 2 couples, the next night me and 1 couple who didn't speak much english. After that i found a table of women traveling together and hung out with them for a night or two. After that I did not go to to the main dining room for dinner.

I will be on Queen Mary 2 and signed up for a table for 2, my first time. I think it will be good. I have been reading online that a lot of solos like the tables for 2. :o

Edited by 1jazzylady

Great tips! I'll be doing Royal's Majesty OTS in February solo and the only part that I'm feeling awkward on is eating in the MDR solo. Reading your posts, it does seem I can request a table for 2. I do enjoy some type of activity while eating, so I'll probably bring along my kindle. I'm introverted and find it hard to keep a good conversation going with people I'm just meeting.

[quote name='dav3']Great tips! I'll be doing Royal's Majesty OTS in February solo and the only part that I'm feeling awkward on is eating in the MDR solo. Reading your posts, it does seem I can request a table for 2. I do enjoy some type of activity while eating, so I'll probably bring along my kindle. I'm introverted and find it hard to keep a good conversation going with people I'm just meeting.[/QUOTE]

If you are on My Time dining rather than fixed seating maybe keep your options open. I often ask for a table for one, but say I don't mind sharing. It's pot luck what you get then, but sometimes it's nice to meet new people and if it doesn't suit you or your not in the mood for company you can always go back to just asking for a table for 1.