How long is a piece of string!

babs135

With public school teachers being paid six figure salaries now in Western Australia, there is certainly a lot of travelling happening. $90,000 a year salaries on the East coast also helps.

Cannot imagine how anyone would want to teach in the US, where salaries are between $25,000 and $40,000 a year (some states don't even pay the summer holiday period)! I even looked up UK salaries not so long ago and saw teachers, on average, earn 28,000 GBP (approx. $56,000) a year.

Unfortunately, teachers have to travel during peak periods, often meaning prices are higher. Planes are often filled with students and so are holiday resorts. Cruises in Australian waters are always full of children and teenagers. Even as far as the Caribbean, I encountered a family with teenagers studying their final years of schooling - I even got asked about homework!!! (as they were studying the same as what I was teaching my own classes)

I won't complain though. I've travelled extensively and am culturally richer for it. I think it helps me to do my job better (not including the relaxation time after very, very long term time weeks - as you also attest).

While I like to get a lower price on my cruise holidays (and airfares - I got quite a reduction during a sale this time by purchasing during the Oct/Nov travel expo season in Australia) I realise that I can't expect prices to get too low otherwise the quality of my Cunard experience would be compromised.

Happy to pay thousands rather than hundreds. You generally get what you pay for. If people want rock bottom cruise prices with Cunard then I'd argue they are looking at the wrong cruise line.

I must point out that I know 3 teachers, one my neighbour, plain and simple teacher earns more than double £20,000 pa,

To be honest i think most people would stuggle on such a low wage , let alone teachers

I must point out that I know 3 teachers, one my neighbour, plain and simple teacher earns more than double £20,000 pa,

To be honest i think most people would stuggle on such a low wage , let alone teachers

So, they earn 40,000 GBP :) That's good. I was referring to the average of 28,000 GBP, as reported in a recent release in the UK media on average salaries. Naturally there will be teachers who reach an excellence level (and therefore earn more money). I believe those at the peak of their profession can earn up to 57,000 GBP. To go higher they need to ascend the ranks of management.

I've met a few fellow educators on cruises/voyages in the past - from Australia, England, and America. Obviously they were all above average on the pay scale :) However, I don't go on holiday to 'talk shop' (although people always ask questions).

It's always nice to meet people from a range of professions while on board. I find I learn a great deal from the experiences of others. Some people live absolutely fascinating lives. That's why I always ask for a larger table at dinner.

In previous years Cunard has had some terrific Getaway fares on several routes, for example the Norway voyages and the Canaries. But I've kept an eye out for whenever there's been an Iceland cruise and they always seemed to fill up without heavy discounts, at least in the categories I was interested in...

But don't you use mobility assistance? Many here complained that they could never take advantage of last minute deals since they needed an HC stateroom and those were usually long gone before price drops are offered.

While I'm entirely mobile my workplace requires advance notice of vacation time. If I put in for vacation before booking the voyage that I want could go up in price or sell out. Or have nothing left but insides and Q3s.

So, they earn 40,000 GBP :) That's good. I was referring to the average of 28,000 GBP, as reported in a recent release in the UK media on average salaries. Naturally there will be teachers who reach an excellence level (and therefore earn more money). I believe those at the peak of their profession can earn up to 57,000 GBP. To go higher they need to ascend the ranks of management.

I've met a few fellow educators on cruises/voyages in the past - from Australia, England, and America. Obviously they were all above average on the pay scale :) However, I don't go on holiday to 'talk shop' (although people always ask questions).

It's always nice to meet people from a range of professions while on board. I find I learn a great deal from the experiences of others. Some people live absolutely fascinating lives. That's why I always ask for a larger table at dinner.

Im with you there, shop, politic or money:eek:

also right about a larger table

I just checked out my upcoming June cruise on QE to see the price for my balcony stateroom has dropped a further $1,000!

The Grills have sold well and there seems to be only a handful of staterooms left in various Britannia categories. No doubt Cunard is keen to sell these. I noticed similar reductions being made on like June cruises this time last year.

That said, Id hope they werent selling too many balcony staterooms initially priced at over $7,000 at the now reduced price of $4,500. Theyd not make money. For 14 nights that is good value!

Still, I consider the price I've paid to still be good value.

On the plus side, it looks as though the ship will be relatively full. If my QM2 experience is anything to go by, I doubt it will feel full when on board (unlike my Princess experience where it was Like navigating one's way in a shopping centre during peak periods).

But don't you use mobility assistance? Many here complained that they could never take advantage of last minute deals since they needed an HC stateroom and those were usually long gone before price drops are offered.

While I'm entirely mobile my workplace requires advance notice of vacation time. If I put in for vacation before booking the voyage that I want could go up in price or sell out. Or have nothing left but insides and Q3s.

Yes BlueRiband I do have some mobility problems, but can manage in a cabin with crutches or by using the walls, so it's only longer distances and on-shore that needs a wheelchair. I leave the accessible cabins for those who absolutely need a level access shower - hopefully someone will do the same for me when the time comes.

I'm fortunate to be retired and my wife took a gap year (several years ago!), so we have the luxury of being able to hold our breaths and see what pops up.

Sadly, grand parenthood duties now upset the system a little - it pushes towards doing late deals but is an obstacle to doing the sort of 20+ days voyages we've enjoyed before. C'est la vie.

I got an email from Cunard today "announcing the Spring sale"

...we've been doing a little spring cleaning of our own this month and from 18 April you can save up to 30% on 2014 cruises with Early Saver Fares.*

The sale will end on 27 April 2014.

* The Spring Sale applies to bookings made between 18 April - 27 April 2014 on selected cruises departing between 28 July and 23 December 2014 and is not combinable with any other promotional fares. 30% saving based on a Balcony Stateroom when comparing an Early Saver Fare with the Cunard Fare.

Do you know to which crossing and cruises this applies? Do they not indicate this?

I wonder what this implies in terms of upgrade possibilities as well as the general ambiance ("classic" or more of a tourist type event).

Yes teachers do get quite a few weeks a year holidays but try and get a day off for a special occasion in term time and it is near impossible. I had a dear friend died and was unable to attend her funeral because she happened to pass away in term time, how inconvenient of her.:mad: