Flying into Ft. Lauderdale for Miami Cruise

Cruise a holic

We bring too much luggage and truly need a car service. It is a two week cruise and we probably will have three large pieces of luggage and two carry-on's. How far away approximately is the Airport in Ft. Lauderdale to Miami? Any estimate?

Thanks

My question would be....Why so much luggage? We do 14 nights usually but wouldn't dream of trying to handle that much luggage.

OP,

You asked about luggage valet and I will try to help.

You can use it for a flight after noon for most airlines. If you are thinking about Southwest that may present a problem because they do not always have enough passengers sign up for a POM to FLL truck. You would not know until sometime during the last third of the cruise. That might mean the last night!

The other part of the equation is booking your return flight. If that coincides with MLK weekend or the boat show you should rethink waiting to book your return. There is no guarantee that Southwest will be less expensive. Every time I try to compare fares Southwest never comes out at a lower price point. But I generally do not book the minute their fares open either.

The 12:00 luggage valet window is also a good indicator for a flight from FLL after porting in Miami. If you are returning on a weekend FLL will be busy and crowded. Customs and Immigration at the POM may be marginally speedier than Port Everglades but that's not something I would dismiss without careful consideration.

I will never criticize anyone for packing the way they prefer. Been there...done that. The OP did not ask for our advice about how to pack.

I hope this answered your other concern.

OP,

You asked about luggage valet and I will try to help.

You can use it for a flight after noon for most airlines. If you are thinking about Southwest that may present a problem because they do not always have enough passengers sign up for a POM to FLL truck. You would not know until sometime during the last third of the cruise. That might mean the last night!

The other part of the equation is booking your return flight. If that coincides with MLK weekend or the boat show you should rethink waiting to book your return. There is no guarantee that Southwest will be less expensive. Every time I try to compare fares Southwest never comes out at a lower price point. But I generally do not book the minute their fares open either.

The 12:00 luggage valet window is also a good indicator for a flight from FLL after porting in Miami. If you are returning on a weekend FLL will be busy and crowded. Customs and Immigration at the POM may be marginally speedier than Port Everglades but that's not something I would dismiss without careful consideration.

I will never criticize anyone for packing the way they prefer. Been there...done that. The OP did not ask for our advice about how to pack.

I hope this answered your other concern.

Thanks for your help. We booked jetblue and return will probably be Delta from Miami

My question would be....Why so much luggage? We do 14 nights usually but wouldn't dream of trying to handle that much luggage.

We always use porters. Worth a good tip! Why not have choice of what to wear? Part of enjoying the full cruise experience IMO. Too each his own.

Thanks

Do you have to pre-book SAS for transport from Miami pier to Fll airport?

For OP , we have done fine with getting a shuttle from the line that forms at Fll to go to Miami pre-cruise hotel...you can choose shared ride or pvt which costs more

We book both segments with SAS months before. Never a problem. We had used cabs from port to FLL for a few years thinking the SAS shared ride might take too long for an early flight but they assured me this was no problem and they were correct. They have numerous vans leaving from port and as stated they always were prompt and honored our FLL downtown night before rides even though we were the only passengers.