Carnival Cruise Ship Cancels Numerous Alaska Port Calls, Blames Mechanical Problem

LauraS

We just got off of her and it was WONDERFUL, had some listing (not sure how to spell it, but the boat rocked side to side) in the beginning when we were out at open sea but otherwise was GREAT. At dinner we were seated facing the wake on deck 2, noticed some vibrations that far back that might have been abnormal....no idea, this was our first cruise. And we got up to 20.6 knots at times, so we were booking it for awhile too....hope eveyone else this season has a ball like we did :) got home last night
That's good to hear. We sail in July and I'm really looking forward to it. We've sailed on Miracle before (as well as Legend and Pride - same class of ships) and yes, vibration in the dining room is normal. If you have the chance, please post a review - I'd love to read it!:)

Out of curiosity, was your itinerary affected by the cancelled port-call? Based on the captain's explanation of the route, it seemed like not only would Ketchikan be cancelled but so would most of the traverse through the Inside Passage. I ended up cancelling because I felt the cruise was no longer worth it without going through an Inside Passage route.

We just got off of her and it was WONDERFUL, had some listing (not sure how to spell it, but the boat rocked side to side) in the beginning when we were out at open sea but otherwise was GREAT. At dinner we were seated facing the wake on deck 2, noticed some vibrations that far back that might have been abnormal....no idea, this was our first cruise. And we got up to 20.6 knots at times, so we were booking it for awhile too....hope eveyone else this season has a ball like we did :) got home last night

Out of curiosity, was your itinerary affected by the cancelled port-call? Based on the captain's explanation of the route, it seemed like not only would Ketchikan be cancelled but so would most of the traverse through the Inside Passage. I ended up cancelling because I felt the cruise was no longer worth it without going through an Inside Passage route.

I wish I knew whether to be worried about this or not. We're booked on Miracle for our first time cruise in June and will be missing Ketchikan. I didn't see any other cruises during the same dates, so I don't think switching is an option for us. My husband cant renegotiate his days off.

I try to be a laid back person and I am trying to stay positive but getting stranded off the Alaskan coast would not be a relaxing vacation. Could that actually happen? What are the standard rescue procedures for something like that? (I've never cruised before and don't really know much about this)

Thank you to everyone who has posted recent experiences from the ship. It helps.

At least I won't be at work ;)

I try to be a laid back person and I am trying to stay positive but getting stranded off the Alaskan coast would not be a relaxing vacation. Could that actually happen? What are the standard rescue procedures for something like that? (I've never cruised before and don't really know much about this)

Thank you to everyone who has posted recent experiences from the ship. It helps.

I doubt you'd be stranded. You'll always be pretty close to shore if you do lose propulsion and the whole area is pretty well covered in terms of rescue craft which include tugs that can tow the ship to safety. The only concern might be losing propulsion in the middle of a storm because you'll be sailing outside the protected waters. But even then you won't be far from rescue and the captain has stated that they would duck to the inside passage to avoid storms... Actually that was the only provision he gave for sailing Inside Passage... so maybe pray for a storm if you want to see Inside Passage. :D