Do I have time for both? Tabyana & Carambola

megove

My wife and I are heading to Roatan in May on RCL and are interested in both Tabyana beach and Carambola Botanical Gardens. We want the freedom to move around if we wish so are not going to go through the cruise ship excursion packages (is this a mistake?) and instead are looking to take a bus out of Coxen Hole. Since my wife is not as passionate snorkeler as I am, don't want to punisher her :) by spending the entire day at Tabyana beach. My thought was to go to Carambola in the morning when we get off the ship and take some of the trails for some photo opportunities for her and then head to the beach where I can play amongst the coral. With that in mind I have two questions for anyone experienced in the area. Am I setting us up to be rushed at both sites if able to do both at all? Is catching the bus between Carambola and Tabyana going to be a problem? Other insight is also appreciated, including where I can get the bus back to Coxen Hole, I know it exists but not sure where to grab it.

Thanks.

You can also contact Victor Bodden or Rony or other vendors and arrange a "private" tour. If you can get another couple or two you can lower the transportation cost. You are on your own for food, entrance fees and snorkeling gear rental etc. The driver will take you where you want to go and pick you up and bring you back to the ship. The jitney/mini buses don't run on set schedules and don't always go to the exact spot you may want to go, as they are primarily used by locals. The detail's on OTHC's link will fill you in. So you need to give yourselves extra time getting to and from places and thus shorten your time at your stops.

My wife and I are heading to Roatan in May on RCL and are interested in both Tabyana beach and Carambola Botanical Gardens. We want the freedom to move around if we wish so are not going to go through the cruise ship excursion packages (is this a mistake?) and instead are looking to take a bus out of Coxen Hole. Since my wife is not as passionate snorkeler as I am, don't want to punisher her :) by spending the entire day at Tabyana beach. My thought was to go to Carambola in the morning when we get off the ship and take some of the trails for some photo opportunities for her and then head to the beach where I can play amongst the coral. With that in mind I have two questions for anyone experienced in the area. Am I setting us up to be rushed at both sites if able to do both at all? Is catching the bus between Carambola and Tabyana going to be a problem? Other insight is also appreciated, including where I can get the bus back to Coxen Hole, I know it exists but not sure where to grab it.

Thanks.

Having enough time has to many factors to say for sure..

The mini bus are now on a proper schedule with a whistle being blown on either end of the run to keep that schedule. I was fair amused to realized this last time I was down. The challenge becomes how many people flag the bus to pick them up or ask to be dropped off, an added worry is a full bus. The mini bus stop any place requested along the route from Coxen Hole to West End.

Then there is the time it takes to walk the gardens to the hill for photos opts. The bus in to West End, the water taxi to West Bay and then ya still gotta get back.

All of that may be easy done... if you can find the mini bus in Coxen Hole, that seems to be more challenge than any other for people.

If you decide to do this, mention Anthony's Key to the mini bus driver, Carambola is almost directly across the road. Check your time once down the hill and see what ya think..if you are pushing it have the garden people ring you a safe cab (safe being physically, emotionally and financially) to West End for the water taxi to West Bay or you could let him take to the distance to Tabyana.

If time is available, wait for the mini bus to West End, take the water taxi to West Bay.. and do the reverse to return or if time is a worry after your snorkeling have someone call you a safe cab from West Bay back to the ship.

What I am trying to say is... ya don't have to decide now.

As far as picking up the mini bus, anywhere along the route, they will stop. Those guys are all kinds of hungry. :0)

To be clear, Tabyana is part of West Bay beach. The mini bus only go as far as West End, then ya need take the water taxi. :)

If ya get it all done, I would be very interested to hear how it goes.

Enjoy the island!