Car rental?

southnam

I will be in cozumel in Dec with DW and 3 young kids; 3,5,7. I was thinking of renting car for day and driving around stopping when we wanted to. I figured this is easiest with 3 kids. I wanted to see some ruins and well and wanted to hear other experiences of car rentals and driving around on your own. Thanks

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Car rental, private driver or hiring a taxi by the hour your challenge will be car seats for the 3 & 5 (and maybe 7) year olds.

In short, assume there are none. This is especially true of taxis. So check that there are adequate seat belts for every passenger in the rental car. Also be sure you take all the insurance offered by the car rental company. An accident on Cozumel, or in Mexico, in general, whether your fault or the fault of another driver, can be a nightmare if you are not fully covered, even if there are no injuries and only a fender bender or less damage to the vehicles.

No sure if the ruins are that impressive for you but the drive along the east side can be stunning. A stop at the lighthouse and the eco-park is interesting, but costly $10 pp as I recall. A stop at Chen Rio for a beach and lunch on the east side would be a nice thing to do. Food is good and if the water is calm and there's no flags out you can swim there. You can go to Coconuts just down the road but, while it's views are fantastic, it's not an ideal atmosphere for younger children, IMO. And stop by the Kaokao Chocolate Factory on the way back into town (between Avenida 80 and 85) if you're traveling the transversal road from the east side to the ruins. Enjoy your day in Cozumel.

My personal preference would be hiring a driver, especially since you have young kids with you. Driving in Mexico isn't what it used to be and can turn into a nightmare. People staging minor accidents as essentially an extortion attempt etc. I remember the good ole days of renting a scooter and going all over the island and also those old VW things that were hot down there. Those days are gone unfortunately! 😡

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app