Icy Strait Point Recommendations?

ricklepickle

We are very excited for our Alaska cruise that leaves June 30. I've been busy planning all our port excursions, and have found 3 that work for us in the last three ports (Juneau - whale watching/Mendenhall Glacier through NCL, Skagway - Alaska Excursion's Glacier Point Wilderness Safari, Ketchikan - Island Tree's Misty Fjord plane tour). But I am stuck with Icy Strait Point planning, and was seeking advice. It's our first port, on July 2.

I'm thinking about waiting until we get onboard and use our OBC to book an excursion, because it seems like almost all excursions there are through the cruise lines - and there isn't anything that jumps out (yet) to us as "must do". (On NCL, you have to be onboard to use OBC - and they charge your credit card for excursions when you book them.)

What do you think of this strategy? Or am I missing something and there is a "must do" that we need to book in advance?

Also, what excursions would you recommend in Icy Strait Point?

FYI: There are 4 of us -- my parents (74 and 72, fairly active), an almost 14 year old boy and me (51). We don't all need to go together. I told the teenage boy I would go on the Zip Line with him if he wants, but he isn't sure, and I'm not so excited to go alone. If he is up for the Zip Line, we'll try the Zip Line + ATV tour. My parents won't do that and will need something else.

Thanks!

For Icy Strait Point, I would recommend taking a whale watching trip in a small boat with any of the recommended independent operators. They will take you out to Pt. Adolphus, a major feeding area for humpbacks.

Some offer combination whale watch + bear viewing.

The ship's excursion boat goes out there too, but it is a larger boat that may be crowded with passengers shoulder-to-shoulder at the railing.

You can find contact info for the independents here

Icy Strait Points -Hoonah Charters and Tours

Also check out Things to do in Hoonah on Tripadvisor at

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g31010-Activities-c25-Hoonah_Alaska.html

Edited by varoo

Are you also using your ship credit for your Juneau excurion? A factor, that isn't ideal, is it's only about a 45 minute stop at Mendenhall, not enough time, if you want to get to Nugget Falls. In contrast, there are independent vendors who transfer between the whale watch and Mendenhall. You then just take a shuttle when you wish, in the other direction.

There are consistant raves about the Hoonah zip lining. Other highlight is the ease of brown bear viewing- BUT independent is the only way to go, in my opinion.

I did the zip line in 2011, was 62 then. It was great fun and easy. A school bus took us up the mountain, the driver gave an interesting talk about the local history and people. Lots of beautiful views and plenty of bear scat?? along the drive. The zip line is one long downhill cable, and the riders are seated. No pullies, just enjoy the thrill of the ride down the mountain. It took me a couple of seconds to catch my breath but then it was amazing! Going again in late May, along with a whale watching excursion.

I did the zip line in 2007, and had a similar experience. An enjoyable bus ride up, although because I am extremely phobic about heights (more particularly cliff edges), I was really nervous on the whole ride up and was dubious about whether I would be able to do it. After the bus ride, you walk downhill for a bit to get to the zipline, and there were port-potties there for those who needed it. ;) A couple guys got up there, did the trek to the zipline platform, turned a bit green, and went straight back to the bus. I made myself do it notwithstanding my fear and was so glad I did. It was very fun, a huge rush of excitement, albeit too short. It is way less scary than I thought it would be - a comfortable platform boarding situation and little chairs you sit in, which increased my comfort level quite a bit. Fabulous views as you zip down. A strong jolt at the end - probably a bad idea for anyone with back or neck problems.