Plus size on the carnival Magic! Where will I struggle?

sweetshell637

I am most assuredly plus size and on the Pride I have never had a real problem. The only thing I can think of is that sometimes the (thin) person who shows you to your seat in the dining room doesn't always pick a path that accommodates my size. Hasn't happened a lot, but has happened. Perhaps some of the Lido deck tables could be a little further apart but still did get through them. No problems in the cabin or balcony. No problems in any of the entertainment venues.

I thank an earlier poster for mentioning no steps into the pool, as my dh and I were discussing whether we would try the pools next time. That seals it. No pools for us. I once had a pool stair break as I was climbing out (size plus old and rotten stair) and I do not wish to repeat that experience!

Plus size here too and the only problem I ever had was in the dining room- not wending my way through like others mentioned but actually sitting at the tables... If they put you at a two-top it's likely to only have about 8 inches between it and the next table.

After almost knocking someone's drink over with my butt ( ! ) trying to squeeze between the tables I started sitting on the outside seat! Many times you can just approach from the other side which I did often.

I am NOT plus size. I wear a size 10 or SOMETIMES a 12 depending on the style and even I have trouble bumping into people while getting to and sitting at the dining tables on ATD venue (Black Pearl) on the Splendor. :mad::eek:

I can answer this. My husband and I are both large. Where we had problems (now we haven't been on the Miracle since 2010 so some furnishings may have changed) was our balcony chairs (a bit tight) and the chairs on the Lido deck for outside dining. They were metal chairs with arms that my husband refused to sit in because he felt crammed in. You would be better off eating in the Serenity area for eating outdoors or eat inside the buffet on the Lido. In the theater, we sat in the seats downstairs that were couches rather than the theater seats on the upper level. I don't remember anything else being uncomfortable. We were just on the Legend last summer and it was pretty much the same. We were fine in most areas of the ship. We had an extended balcony on the Legend which was much more comfortable than the regular balcony we had on the Miracle. More leg room and room to walk around the chairs to get in and out.

I hope you can relax and enjoy yourself now that you've gotten plenty of reassurance from these boards.

Don't be afraid to try the water slide. I'm a larger lady too and I LOVE it.

Thank u. And REALLY? The water slide wasn't even a thought in my mind.... Hmmm I just might have to put my brave hat on... 😄😄 yes this thread sure has made me feel a bit better! I'm a 22/24 so sounds like I'll be ok. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sweetshell637

I can answer this. My husband and I are both large. Where we had problems (now we haven't been on the Miracle since 2010 so some furnishings may have changed) was our balcony chairs (a bit tight) and the chairs on the Lido deck for outside dining. They were metal chairs with arms that my husband refused to sit in because he felt crammed in. You would be better off eating in the Serenity area for eating outdoors or eat inside the buffet on the Lido. In the theater, we sat in the seats downstairs that were couches rather than the theater seats on the upper level. I don't remember anything else being uncomfortable. We were just on the Legend last summer and it was pretty much the same. We were fine in most areas of the ship. We had an extended balcony on the Legend which was much more comfortable than the regular balcony we had on the Miracle. More leg room and room to walk around the chairs to get in and out.

Cool thanks!

Edited by sweetshell637

[Q UOTE=Crusin Karen;42587017]I am NOT plus size. I wear a size 10 or SOMETIMES a 12 depending on the style and even I have trouble bumping into people while getting to and sitting at the dining tables on ATD venue (Black Pearl) on the Splendor. :mad::eek:

Good to know!

Good luck with cutting out sugar!!! Fortunately I'm local so no flying for me! I have to ask for the extender too and I usually as for it as u board the plane so it's a bit more discreet. But sucks none the less! Keep up the good work!

We bought our own seatbelt extenders (I think from Living Large) and take them with us when we fly. It cuts down on the embarrassment of having to ask for one.

We bought our own seatbelt extenders (I think from Living Large) and take them with us when we fly. It cuts down on the embarrassment of having to ask for one.

Heck I didn't even know u could but them! Good info!

OP, I think many of the posters here should have put you at ease. Carnival is very familiar with plus size passengers. If you have any lingering doubts, you can call Carnival's special needs department. If you ask for a supervisor, they can give you the tolerances of the furniture and recommendations as to where and how you can sit comfortably. They will even tell you the size of the doorways to the cabins.

My sister wanted to cruise, but thanks to the information that they provided determined that she would not be able to fit comfortably into and out of the cabin doorway. At your size this should not be a problem, but again, they should be helpful if you were to call with specific questions.

Ok, I've been reading threads and can't seem to find answers! Hope to Get some here!

I am a plus size young woman. I have quite the fear of chairs and being comfortable!

Let's talk size of private balcony chairs, lido deck chairs, sturdy enough and anything else u can think of to help ease my mind! Thanks!!

I have never been on the Magic, but I wanted to reply as I'm 5'3 and approx 400lbs, I carry most of my weight in my legs and arms due to having lipedema and lymphedema. My butt is big, but hips not so wide, if that makes sense. I actually am comfortable in the MDR chairs and booths. The wait staff in the MDR though have always been nice to offer an armless chair. On the decks I have found the loungers to be fine and able to hold me. The chairs on the balcony I will say are a bit tight on my legs, so I don't often sit out there for long. I have not ever tried the hammocks in the serenity areas.

Heck I didn't even know u could but them! Good info!

Are they FAA certified? I mentioned that to an airline industry person who was seated next to me on a flight and he brought up the fact they might not meet the same safety standards? Idk...I'm good just requesting them onboard.

Thank u!! Yes I noticed that about the pools! I usually stay away from ladders but it looks like I won't have a choice here IF I get into the pools. Ha, as much as if love to lay in a hammock I wouldn't event attempt it! Thanks! What about the chairs at the table on lido? I've seen white plastic ones??! Eeeeek.

The ladders have stairs that go deep enough that I find it is not so difficult to get out of the pools. The hot tubs, esp in the serentiy area on the Victory had good steps into them.

I hope you can relax and enjoy yourself now that you've gotten plenty of reassurance from these boards.

Don't be afraid to try the water slide. I'm a larger lady too and I LOVE it.

I was always worried the slide had a weight limit? Never actually asked or went to check on it though.

I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I'm 5'7 and around 400lbs. I wear a size 28-30 (giving my size might help someone similar). I am taking my first cruise in October of this year on the Pride and this subject is very important to me.

I used to weigh 360 pounds. I was able to move around the ship with relative ease. The only thing that was tight was the stalls in the public restrooms. If I needed to use the bathroom, I would just use the bathroom in my cabin. I have lost 120 pounds and even though I can use the public bathroom stalls, they still seem snug to me:)

I used to weigh 360 pounds. I was able to move around the ship with relative ease. The only thing that was tight was the stalls in the public restrooms. If I needed to use the bathroom, I would just use the bathroom in my cabin. I have lost 120 pounds and even though I can use the public bathroom stalls, they still seem snug to me:)

Just to say congratulations! It's not easy to do, you should be proud of yourself. I'd previously lost 88 but slipped and am recovering lost ground at the moment. Worst I've gained on a cruise though is 3.

So glad for this thread. I've never used the public bathrooms on board, so now I know to avoid them if I can. We have gotten to the point that if we go to a restaurant and they have chairs with arms, we always ask if they have any armless chairs and generally they do.

[Q UOTE=Crusin Karen;42587017]I am NOT plus size. I wear a size 10 or SOMETIMES a 12 depending on the style and even I have trouble bumping into people while getting to and sitting at the dining tables on ATD venue (Black Pearl) on the Splendor. :mad::eek:

Good to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote

I hope this didn't come out the wrong way. :o:oI was just trying to explain that in my 2 experiences in the Black Pearl ATD venue on the Splendor the tables were so close together that it was very hard to walk in the aisles to your table, even for someone my size. As "luck would have it" every night we were seated at a table in the very back of the restaurant and I am sure I gave many a pax some bruises those weeks, God forbid I knocked anything over. OP, BON VOYAGE! Have a BLAST!!! ;);)

OP, I think many of the posters here should have put you at ease. Carnival is very familiar with plus size passengers. If you have any lingering doubts, you can call Carnival's special needs department. If you ask for a supervisor, they can give you the tolerances of the furniture and recommendations as to where and how you can sit comfortably. They will even tell you the size of the doorways to the cabins.

My sister wanted to cruise, but thanks to the information that they provided determined that she would not be able to fit comfortably into and out of the cabin doorway. At your size this should not be a problem, but again, they should be helpful if you were to call with specific questions.

Thank u!!

I have never been on the Magic, but I wanted to reply as I'm 5'3 and approx 400lbs, I carry most of my weight in my legs and arms due to having lipedema and lymphedema. My butt is big, but hips not so wide, if that makes sense. I actually am comfortable in the MDR chairs and booths. The wait staff in the MDR though have always been nice to offer an armless chair. On the decks I have found the loungers to be fine and able to hold me. The chairs on the balcony I will say are a bit tight on my legs, so I don't often sit out there for long. I have not ever tried the hammocks in the serenity areas.

Thank u for this info!!

I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I'm 5'7 and around 400lbs. I wear a size 28-30 (giving my size might help someone similar). I am taking my first cruise in October of this year on the Pride and this subject is very important to me.

Your welcome! I contemplated posting it BUT I knew I wasn't the only one out there with these questions or concerns! Seems we will be good! Enjoy your cruise!

Wow congrats!!

[Q UOTE=Crusin Karen;42590249]Good to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote

I hope this didn't come out the wrong way. :o:oI was just trying to explain that in my 2 experiences in the Black Pearl ATD venue on the Splendor the tables were so close together that it was very hard to walk in the aisles to your table, even for someone my size. As "luck would have it" every night we were seated at a table in the very back of the restaurant and I am sure I gave many a pax some bruises those weeks, God forbid I knocked anything over. OP, BON VOYAGE! Have a BLAST!!! ;);)

Nope didn't come out wrong at all! 😄 good to know the average person has troubles too! Thank u!!

yes that is where my fear comes from! Bless ur heart. I would be so embad to having to zig zag through tables as my tiny sis forget I'm quite a bit larger than her. I usually find myself having to squeeze between to arms of a chair but sounds like I should be ok! Thank u!

I wonder if you can request a table close to the door to eliminate this problem?

I will be traveling on my next cruise with someone in this same situation. This thread is helpful to me for that reason, and I might check about the MDR table assignment.

Happy sails.:)

Kathy