Vancouver departure flight time changed from 1:30p to 11a

Just how hosed are my inlaws? We had the perfect flight for them at 1:30pm on Sun out of Vancouver. Now United bumped it up to 11am and that's the last flight of the day! If they self disembark what are their chances? They are US citizens getting off the Oosterdam at Canada place. Private shuttle the fastest way to airport? Thanks for any advice.

Just how hosed are my inlaws? We had the perfect flight for them at 1:30pm on Sun out of Vancouver. Now United bumped it up to 11am and that's the last flight of the day! If they self disembark what are their chances? They are US citizens getting off the Oosterdam at Canada place. Private shuttle the fastest way to airport? Thanks for any advice.

At least it is a Sunday, so traffic in town will be light that early. Have them grab a taxi - I would think that would be quicker than a shuttle, even a private one (but others may have better ideas).

If they can self disembark and the ship lets them off by 7:30, they should be able to make it (but it will be close).

I am sure our great locals can fill us in better on this.

DaveOKC

That's tight but very possible if nothing goes wrong - but if the ship is late docking, the CBP won't let people disembark until later than usual, or anything else goes awry it could get disastrous really quick. If nothing goes wrong, they *should* be able to get to YVR by 9am though if they're among the first off the ship.

If they can handle their own luggage for a self-disembarkation then they should also be able to manage their bags on Skytrain if the taxi queue is already long. Relative speed of Skytrain vs Cab always comes down to how long you wait for the cab IMO - if the queue looks like 10 mins or longer, go jump on Skytrain. $2.75 each ($1.75 if over 65s), US credit cards accepted by ticket machines.

Good news is that only the Oosterdam is docked that day (I'm assuming your in-laws are on the same cruise as yourself arriving Aug 31st?), so that means not as many folks to fill the queues with at immigration, taxis, or YVR security.

Unfortunately if they're flying to the US, they also have to get through US immigration/customs at YVR before they can board. The new scanner kiosks seem to be helping speed that along.

If this is literally the only United option available to them, I would be checking if any other airlines offer a better flight time then ask for a refund from United and book with someone else. 11:00 seems REALLY early for the last flight of the day though, even to an East Coast destination - there's almost always a Redeye overnight leaving in the 9pm-midnight ballpark. Perhaps you meant the last non-stop?

If so, then changing to a later flight with a connection seems a reasonable thing to consider - you may even be able to change to a codeshare flight with Air Canada that goes via a Canadian airport, thus offloading the US immigration/customs step to further downstream and giving them all-important extra time to make it to their first leg.

Processing through US customs at that time of day is generally less hectic than first thing in the morning. They have streamlined the process for American citizens, so your parents should be able to get through quite quickly. Also, they shouldn't have to walk to the very furthest gate which helps as well.

That's tight but very possible if nothing goes wrong - but if the ship is late docking, the CBP won't let people disembark until later than usual, or anything else goes awry it could get disastrous really quick. If nothing goes wrong, they *should* be able to get to YVR by 9am though if they're among the first off the ship.

If they can handle their own luggage for a self-disembarkation then they should also be able to manage their bags on Skytrain if the taxi queue is already long. Relative speed of Skytrain vs Cab always comes down to how long you wait for the cab IMO - if the queue looks like 10 mins or longer, go jump on Skytrain. $2.75 each ($1.75 if over 65s), US credit cards accepted by ticket machines.

Good news is that only the Oosterdam is docked that day (I'm assuming your in-laws are on the same cruise as yourself arriving Aug 31st?), so that means not as many folks to fill the queues with at immigration, taxis, or YVR security.

Unfortunately if they're flying to the US, they also have to get through US immigration/customs at YVR before they can board. The new scanner kiosks seem to be helping speed that along.

If this is literally the only United option available to them, I would be checking if any other airlines offer a better flight time then ask for a refund from United and book with someone else. 11:00 seems REALLY early for the last flight of the day though, even to an East Coast destination - there's almost always a Redeye overnight leaving in the 9pm-midnight ballpark. Perhaps you meant the last non-stop?

If so, then changing to a later flight with a connection seems a reasonable thing to consider - you may even be able to change to a codeshare flight with Air Canada that goes via a Canadian airport, thus offloading the US immigration/customs step to further downstream and giving them all-important extra time to make it to their first leg.

What would the procedure for customs be for a US citizen getting off cruise in Vancouver and going directly to airport to US?

Thanks for the insight. I looked at other flights but unfortunately the prices are now $250 pp higher than what they bought (and this is a one way tix). No doubt other responsible cruisers who booked early as well since there was only 1 option after noon to fly out. Only their airline didn't move their flight time up 2.5 hrs.

So once again, thanks SO much United. We're stuck with you for better or likely much worse.

What would the procedure for customs be for a US citizen getting off cruise in Vancouver and going directly to airport to US?

In theory if the 'US Direct' program is operating again, and you're with the right cruise line, and you prebook a cruiseline transfer, you'll travel in bond and not need to go through either Canadian Immigration/Customs at the pier or US I&C at the airport.

Most recent info is from last year - see link. Check with your cruiseline to see if they are members this time around (they'll also know if the program is running).

In theory if the 'US Direct' program is operating again, and you're with the right cruise line, and you prebook a cruiseline transfer, you'll travel in bond and not need to go through either Canadian Immigration/Customs at the pier or US I&C at the airport.

Most recent info is from last year - see link. Check with your cruiseline to see if they are members this time around (they'll also know if the program is running).

Thank you I'll be checking that out.

Interesting, it referenced landing in YVR & getting to ship. If it works in reverse, then this might help a lot.

Got this email from YVR today.

Thank-you for contacting the Vancouver Airport Authority.

Unfortunately there isn't a US direct service this year. Most cruise ships should have a debrief on the disembarkment process to make your transition from the cruise ship to the Vancouver airport an easy one.

You may also want to speak with your travel agent for additional information.

Kindest regards,

Tracy, Operation Center Agent

Marquise Group

For the Airport Authority

Tel: (604) 207 7077

• 1 month later...

Here is a post from another board today:

"Just off the Statendam on Sunday 6/15. The ship had "technical" problems, as was referred to by Captain. Never did tell us what problem was. Were 1 1/2 hours late arriving in Vancouver."

I doubt these folks made it to the airport for an 11 am flight.

Here is a post from another board today:

"Just off the Statendam on Sunday 6/15. The ship had "technical" problems, as was referred to by Captain. Never did tell us what problem was. Were 1 1/2 hours late arriving in Vancouver."

I doubt these folks made it to the airport for an 11 am flight.

Depends on what Sunday they were scheduled for; no where on this thread could I find the exact date of travel.

Depends on what Sunday they were scheduled for; no where on this thread could I find the exact date of travel.

I guess my point was, for everyone else, that booking an 11 am flight is risky, as noted by the Statendam's late arrival this week.

DaveOKC

Yes, hopefully that won't be the case. I guess worst case scenario they are just in port an extra day, enjoying Vancouver. That was one of the reason's we picked a cruise that ends the day before Labor Day, gives us working stiffs an extra grace day to get home. :)

I do appreciate everyone's thoughts on this & would love to hear from anyone who is now ending their cruises what time they were able to get off & get to the airport. I still haven't figured out the fastest way to get us all to the airport but its looking like cab.

Yes, hopefully that won't be the case. I guess worst case scenario they are just in port an extra day, enjoying Vancouver. That was one of the reason's we picked a cruise that ends the day before Labor Day, gives us working stiffs an extra grace day to get home. :)

I do appreciate everyone's thoughts on this & would love to hear from anyone who is now ending their cruises what time they were able to get off & get to the airport. I still haven't figured out the fastest way to get us all to the airport but its looking like cab.

If you self-disembark getting a taxi will not be a problem, plus being a Sunday morning traffic should not be too bad, so I would take a taxi. Its got to be the fastest plus time wise its about the same or faster than the skytrain on a Sunday morning.

United changed our flight time to a time that did not work for us so I called them and they changed us to a different flight at no additional charge even though the new flight was listed as costing more on line. Maybe I was just lucky. It can't hurt to call and ask. :D

• 2 weeks later...
United changed our flight time to a time that did not work for us so I called them and they changed us to a different flight at no additional charge even though the new flight was listed as costing more on line. Maybe I was just lucky. It can't hurt to call and ask. :D

That is normal with most airlines. If they need to rebook you because they have changed your times they are generally very accommodating and wave all the associated fees and will rebook onto virtually any flight they or their partners operate that has space. You also have the advantage that United and Air Canada partner on flights between Canada and the US.