Pride of America -- A Suite view of the pool April 19-26

KitinIowa

Motion Sickness --

We would like to know if anyone else was on the same cruise we were and could comment on whether the seas were rough or not? Since we had nothing to compare, we really don't know. We were on the April 19-26, 2014 POA, please let us know!

Up front we knew this would be a problem for us. We would as prepared as could be, patches, dramamine, Bonine, SeaBands, ginger gum, etc. etc. We did them all! I do think the patches quelled the sickness a bit, but not completely.

Wife is VERY susceptible and I have a solid issue with motion sickness. For us, just one episode between us of actually "losing it" occured one evening about 8 p.m. Watching a show my wife left a bit early to return to the room. I followed 10 minutes later and found the staff cleaning up the remains outside of Deck 13 elevators. She was in bed and I asked her if what I saw earlier had anything to do with her (of course it did!).

Anyway, despite the accident, this was actually WAY better than it could have been for us as we have had major issues on planes, buses, and most public transportation! Throughout the United States and foreign countries... :-).

Cruising is something we always wanted to try and we did.....

Disembarkation --

As smooth as Embarkation, we decided to keep our own luggage and walk off on Saturday morning. We left about 8:30 a.m. as our Butler told us to be out by 9 a.m.! We used leftover OBC to give a tip to the butler and the steward. The cab to the airport was about $25 with tip. He seemed to go directly there, but it seemed a little high for being so close? hmmm

OMG! I'm sooooo sorry you and your wife are prone to seasickness. :( I would have SO loved to cruise with you two in the future. :cool: Your attitude regarding the inept butler is beyond admiral. I may have handled her a bit differently. ;)

Thank you so much for a great review! I've been on POA twice and DH and I celebrated our 25th anniversary in Jefferson's Bistro five years ago and were extremely underwhelmed. Guess some things never change. :confused:

Ali

Thank you for sharing your experience KitinIowa!

Your pics are nice, I enjoyed seeing the new Suite.

I hope you give cruising another try sometime.

They are all different.

Talk to your Dr about your motion sickness issues, they may help.

Pick a mid-ship cabin lower on the ship.

Bon Voyage........

We were aware, though, that our seasickness really became overwhelming outside of our cabin.... the entertainment and restaurant venues tend to be at the AFT or Forward parts of the ship and those places were the most uncomfortable for us.

Thanks so much for the pics!

And I see that the bed & double sofa would sleep 4 total ... but where do the extra 5th & 6th sleep ... as NCL says this cabin sleeps up to 6 :confused:

If you have any insight ... that would be wonderful ... thanks :)

Thanks so much for the pics!

And I see that the bed & double sofa would sleep 4 total ... but where do the extra 5th & 6th sleep ... as NCL says this cabin sleeps up to 6 :confused:

If you have any insight ... that would be wonderful ... thanks :)

There is a murphy bed on the wall behind the dining table. You can see it in the picture...although I don't know where the table & chairs would go if using the sofa bed and murphy bed.

Motion Sickness --

We would like to know if anyone else was on the same cruise we were and could comment on whether the seas were rough or not? Since we had nothing to compare, we really don't know. We were on the April 19-26, 2014 POA, please let us know!

Up front we knew this would be a problem for us. We would as prepared as could be, patches, dramamine, Bonine, SeaBands, ginger gum, etc. etc. We did them all! I do think the patches quelled the sickness a bit, but not completely.

Wife is VERY susceptible and I have a solid issue with motion sickness. For us, just one episode between us of actually "losing it" occured one evening about 8 p.m. Watching a show my wife left a bit early to return to the room. I followed 10 minutes later and found the staff cleaning up the remains outside of Deck 13 elevators. She was in bed and I asked her if what I saw earlier had anything to do with her (of course it did!).

Anyway, despite the accident, this was actually WAY better than it could have been for us as we have had major issues on planes, buses, and most public transportation! Throughout the United States and foreign countries... :-).

Cruising is something we always wanted to try and we did.....

I can relate...was very sick on a Caribbean cruise on Azamara in Nov. I decided I wasn't giving up cruising but had to stick with the mega ships. Try Oasis Class chips on RCL or Breakaway etc on NCL. Felt movement only one night on the Breakaway but it rocked me to sleep...didn't have to take medication on the mega ships. Book a suite!

There is a murphy bed on the wall behind the dining table. You can see it in the picture...although I don't know where the table & chairs would go if using the sofa bed and murphy bed.

Thanks for the quick response!

And I agree ... not sure where they're going to fit the table/chairs ;)

Maybe try Bermuda with 3 days there in port? Have all the bells and whistles with less sea time....

Actually ... the sail out to Bermuda in open Atlantic waters may be pretty rough sometimes too ... and it's usually 2 days out and 2 days back ... ;)

Yes, I believe behind the dinette and chairs was a pull down sleeper... obviously for two of us we didn't need to use either the couch or the wall sleeper so not sure how that all worked... the couch would not be too difficult to work around as a bed in this suite but I think the wall sleeper when pulled down would make it difficult for anyone to get to the bathroom unless they were in the sleeper....

• 4 months later...