MSC Unlimited drink packages - Who is receiving the gratuity?

cruiselover87

Agreed! I can't wait till when she next holds auditions to be her new friend! I'll be there with bells on, and a chummy smile. I'm even going to learn how to make towel animals beforehand!

Don't forget the chocolate on the pillow! :p

moomoo ... It will be interesting to hear how Divina fares compared to the Preziosa in terms of staff and food and how things are being run now.

That's true. It'll be returning from a few months being used as a hotel in Brazil so I wonder if the percentage of local staff will apply.

Certainly will be interesting but nearly three weeks sailing in lovely hot weather on a nice ship with Allegrisimo? It could be staffed by little green men and I wouldn't care. :)

I have to ask. How is it in any way your business what someone else earns?

The service charge is included in the drinks package if you buy it pre cruise. If you buy it on board it is added to the total price. If you don't have a drinks package then each individual purchase is subject to a 15% service charge.

There is also a daily hotel charge. It doesn't take a genius to figure that "service charge" is for the staff of the ship that serve people and the "hotel charge" is for staff that run the hotel/ship (cabin attendants etc)

If you think they deserve individual recognition then by all means provide it. But demanding to know where the money you pay goes is, IMHO, crass. I have interacted with many MSC employees, some who I've tipped and some who I haven't. All of them have given excellent levels of service irrespective of if I was on a drinks package or not. So being on the drinks package is not the reason you were getting what you thought was rude service.

You were more likely getting the correct service for the environment you were in but not what you expected. You do not get the faux chummy "Hey you guys" OMG you're so funny, smiley service on MSC. You get professional courteous and friendly service. Not auditions to be your new friend.

I never said it was my business what someone else earns but to say I have no right knowing where my money is going is absurd. And as stated in previous posts I am not asking for as you call it "fake chummy friends". I could careless if they even talk to me, they just came across as somewhat rude and it felt as if I was a bother to them.

I am not alone in this sentiment look up reviews for the Divina and the customer service is the #1 complaint. The reviews for the ship are approximately 3.5-4/5, which I agree with; a beautiful ship, decent food but lacking in service and organization.

MSC have a strict policy of discouraging personal tipping.

1) MSC are Italian and have mostly European guests who do not tip except for exceptional, beyond the call of duty, service.

2) MSC want to extract the 'daily hotel charge' from as many guests as possible.

3) Personal tips will on average equate to less an automatic service charge.

As with most cruise lines, the service charge pays the wages. If the staff do better than expected, they receive the benefit, otherwise the company makes it up to their contractual wages.

That is how it is.

I brought ones and fives and tipped cash. I had the premium package and everything worked out great.